March 2011 Reviews - NYC

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: March 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My thanks as well Nathan for this very "artful" review. The comparison of each Billy to a particular style of painting is beyond brilliant! Also it was great to hear someone mention Cameron. He is so new that not much has been written about him yet.
Before I rejoin with my elderly pal KiwiT in Seattle...
I think someone might take issue with your choice of words here. :lol:
-Chris
:/
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Love the review, especially because i'm studying history of art :D would loveto see more like that!
x
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

CJ-Rochester wrote:My thanks as well Nathan for this very "artful" review. The comparison of each Billy to a particular style of painting is beyond brilliant! Also it was great to hear someone mention Cameron. He is so new that not much has been written about him yet.
Before I rejoin with my elderly pal KiwiT in Seattle...
I think someone might take issue with your choice of words here. :lol:
-Chris
I disagree Chris.

I've met KiwiT and he definitely fits that description to a tee :D :D :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
atreyu
George

Re: Blog Reactions to the show

Post by atreyu »

Night and Day reactions
From Broadway, March 27, 2011

It is a bit of a milestone for me now having seen my initial BETM followed by an additional four shows within five weeks. Not nearly enough, for sure, but a decent start. I do not consider myself a BETM expert yet, but it is enough experience to note the stark contrast in reaction to the show by two patrons sitting adjacent to me who were both seeing it for the first time.

On the left, a gentleman around 70, accompanied by wife and daughter. The daughter had bought the tickets for the folks and Dad was scheming how to reimburse her. He did not know much about BETM, so when Small Boy Zachary Maitlin ran down the aisle and popped up on stage and he dismissed it with a chuckle, turning his attention back to his Playbill, I gently advised him that was not just some random stunt, but actually the start of the show.

On my right was a gentleman around 50, attending with his wife. I made no attempt to eavesdrop, but could not help overhearing snippets of their conversation while waiting for the start. Only his side, though; could not hear hers. But from that, I could determine that just like the first time I saw BETM 5 weeks ago, all they knew about the production was its reputation. Comments like "They say it's a good show. We'll see. It won a bunch of Tony awards." Expressing a sense of uncertainty with perhaps a touch of skepticism.

Skip to Solidarity with the entire ensemble in full voice. And the gentleman to my left is fast asleep! Awakens during the applause, but that was to be topped by managing the same feat during Angry Dance despite the loud and sudden clacks by the police force. Ah well, at least Dad got a little something out of his daughter's present, even if it wasn't exactly what she intended. :lol:

Meanwhile, to my right, there was the typical process of warming up to the show that we here all experienced at one time. It starts slowly, "Oh that was nice" after Shine. Then the feeling accelerates rapidly as Billy (Joseph Harrington for this performance) shows his mettle. Then the inevitable overflow into enthusiastic applause that occasionally was premature anticipation of the end of a couple numbers such as Expressing Yourself and Swan Lake. But we know how it is, this show is that impressive.

Fellow to the right astutely and quickly recognized the joke when Billy is reading aloud the addressing of the envelope. Did not notice if Grandpa to the left was sleeping again, but that would have been the epitome, the way things were going. The final punctuation was provided by the gentleman on the right while spontaneously standing in appreciation as the curtain falls on Michael, ahead of the Finale: "That was wonderful!"

And so perhaps, another BETM addict is born. ;)
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

That was great atreyu. Thank you for that.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Yes thank you for the review atreyu. Often it is just as much fun to observe and review the audience as it is to see the show. I hope the older gentleman enjoyed his expensive nap. :P
:/
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I wonder if, after the show, the sleeping old man's daughter decided to accept her parent's offer of paying her back for the tickets. :lol:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the terrific reviews. They are greatly appreciated by us on the other side of the pond.

At the Victoria Palace one evening a gentleman in B15 - and for those that don't know it is front row right next to the Musical Director - slept through the whole show. At the start of the second half Trevor Fox, who played George, asked the gentleman if he was enjoying the show. He replied yes to which Trevor said "How do you know as you slept all through the first half?" He did not find it at all funny but we thought it was hilarious :D :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Billy Whiz wrote:At the Victoria Palace one evening a gentleman in B15 - and for those that don't know it is front row right next to the Musical Director - slept through the whole show. At the start of the second half Trevor Fox, who played George, asked the gentleman if he was enjoying the show. He replied yes to which Trevor said "How do you know as you slept all through the first half?" He did not find it at all funny but we thought it was hilarious :D :D
Trevor was always one of my favorite parts of the London show, as he would occasionally "let people have it" who deserved it. I remember once, they were trying to start the 2nd half and a rather large couple was still standing in the aisle, about 4 rows from the stage. The guy was fumbling around for money to pay for his ice cream, while his wife waited. Finally Trevor said, "If you two would like to take a seat, we'll go ahead and get the 2nd half of the show started." This made the guy search even more feverishly through his wallet since he knew all eyes were on him, to which Trevor replied, "Oh, I see what's going on now. The big fella is still trying to pay for his ice cream." The audience loved it. . . . .but the ice cream couple, not so much.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”