April 2011 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: April 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Of course, the staging changes for the RBS letter and the transition into the Letter scene were necessitated because of the lack of hydraulics for the bedroom, but this just goes to show that the fancy (and incredibly expensive, I'm sure) bedroom really didn't have to happen in the first place. If it hadn't, however, perhaps the show would not have its Tony for set design.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:
johnnyc wrote:The way it's done on the tour is much better, in my opinion. Billy stands on the stage facing the audience as he reads the letter, with dad, Tony and grandma trying to look over his shoulder. The audience sees every nuance of Billys expression as he reads. Very effective, I think.
Another change I've grown to like is at the end of the confrontation scene between Dad and Tony, when Billy is scheduled to meet Mrs. Wilkinson for his private dance lessons (right before "The Letter.") I like the way he plops himself down on the stage in front of the piano, still visibly upset with the tension in his home between his dad and older brother.
Totally agree with you guys on the Royal Ballet Letter reading, and since the bedroom/kitchen set is used enough times, it could easily be done without it for this scene. I imagine Broadway likes giving audiences one last look at its cool features (bed first, then full rise) but it really is done great on Tour.

Language I disagree with mostly however there are absolutely 2-3 places on Broadway when they don't need to curse. Maybe a happy medium can be reached to keep the show on Broadway as long as possible.

And yes, the Tour version where Billy plops down in front of the piano works great too. Very authentic for a kid to do that. It must be fun for the people who make decisions like these to hear people like us give them the thumbs up and thumbs down online. =)

Hope you're enjoying your trip, John! We're gonna have some awesome weather this weekend!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

At the May 1 matinee (Peter/Cameron), they finally discarded the awful change that was made in the scene between Billy's dad and posh dad in front of the curtain. The past four shows, I winced at the dumb faces post dad subjected the audience to before he finally said "frightfully nervewracking...." Today he just looked at dad until he said the nervewracking line. So much better.

And how long have some of the Billys been muttering "rip off" as they gave Mrs W. the 50 p coins at their second dance session? I only noticed this line being used last week.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

johnnyc wrote: And how long have some of the Billys been muttering "rip off" as they gave Mrs W. the 50 p coins at their second dance session? I only noticed this line being used last week.
Quite some time, John - at least a year. But like you, it took me a while to notice it. You almost have to be up front to hear it since most of the Billy's say it under their breath.

Rich
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

johnnyc wrote:At the May 1 matinee (Peter/Cameron), they finally discarded the awful change that was made in the scene between Billy's dad and posh dad in front of the curtain. The past four shows, I winced at the dumb faces post dad subjected the audience to before he finally said "frightfully nervewracking...." Today he just looked at dad until he said the nervewracking line. So much better.
Can't speak for the past four shows, but it is of note today that it is not the normal actor in the role of posh dad. With significant absences this week Greg Jbara and Thommie Retter, a number of substitutions are in play. Mr. Braithwaite didn't even get to do baskets of pansies. The normal posh dad's mugging for the audience at the RBS is pretty amusing.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

shimmyshimmy wrote: In Billy's second ballet "lesson", he gives Mrs. W. 50p plus 50p for the prior week when he spent it on Boxing. So where did he get the second 50p.
It was the leftover change from buying Grandma a pasty. :lol:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The "rip off" comment goes all the way back to the original NY Billys, although I don't remember whether they all said it. Trent did at least once when I saw him.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote:The "rip off" comment goes all the way back to the original NY Billys, although I don't remember whether they all said it. Trent did at least once when I saw him.
Interesting. Never heard any of them say that comment when I've been there, even sitting close up. Not saying they didn't, but rather that I somehow missed it if they did.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

It's really hard to hear...like way harder then even the old jokes in London Express :lol: I missed most of them on my last trip.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, but in this case, it's intentionally mumbled, probably because Billy doesn't want to risk getting thrown out of the class.

But you are confirming that you have heard it too, Steven. Right?
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”