June 2011 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: June 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:The show will certainly miss someone like Jacob who has been a dedicated performer and a great spokesman for the show for a long time now. With all his talents and positive personality, he clearly has a great future ahead of him in whatever he decides to pursue in the future.
Jacob is certain to have a bright future, which is why I am more excited than usual to see what comes next for this particular Billy. Not only is he incredibly talented, and I LOVE his acting, he's also got the confidence and the joy that you mentioned, Todd, and that makes for the x factor that will rocket him to success in anything he chooses to do!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Wednesday matinee, June 28, 2011

Billy - Tade Biesinger
Michael - Cameron Clifford
All other cast were regulars

Today was the 4th and final of my Broadway Billy shows. I was hoping it would be Peter Mazurowski as Billy who I still have yet to see, but instead it was a repeat of the cast I saw this past Sunday afternoon. Not a whole lot to add to what I posted for that show's review, although I will say that this crowd was not nearly as lively as that one was. They were very responsive in terms of applause, but didn't laugh as loud as normal at the funny parts.

They did, however, have a big reaction to the Winter Scene when Michael (Cameron) kissed Billy (Tade). There were a few gasps and several giggles, which was a bit different than what happens in most performances. Tade did a unique thing at the beginning of "Electricity" and spoke the entire passage - rather than sing it - up until the "It's like that there's some music playing in your ear" which is when he began singing. From that point on, it was an amazing performance as his dancing was perfect and his singing very tuneful. His pirouettes at the end were very tight and fast, and his finish coincided perfectly with the end of the song. Needless to say, he received a long and loud round of applause.

Another change that I've noticed in the two performances I've seen this week with Cameron Clifford as Michael is at the very end of the show as Billy walks up the aisle. Rather than saying "See ya Billy" in a more quiet and forlorn tone of voice as most Michaels do, Cameron kind of calls it out louder . . . like you would say to someone who you plan to see very soon ("See ya Billy !") Not sure if that's the message they're trying to convey there, as I've always understood their farewell to mean that it could be a long time before they meet up again . . . and that their friendship will never probably be as close as it has been up to that point.

Anyway, it's been a great 4-show week, and it's good to see that the show is in good hands with a mixture of old veterans and new faces. I particularly like the actress who plays Dead Mum (Laura Marie Duncan) as she comes across exactly like I would expect as a tender and caring woman who Billy would certainly be missing. One constructive criticism that I would have to mention - which I believe has already been discussed by others - is the way the Posh Dad is being played at the moment. He seems so over-the-top that the humor is lost (in my opinion), as he comes across as a somewhat disturbed individual . . . with wacky facial expressions that don't seem to make much sense. Hopefully they will restore this character to the more reserved, pompous character that truly seems "posh" rather than a "nutter."

I was also glad to see what appeared to be near-sellouts for each of the performances I saw. And of course the stage door atmosphere is as good as any of the productions at the moment, as fans have the opportunity to thank the cast for their entertainment and hard work. Long may it continue !
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Saturday matinee July 2

Tade/Neil/Alex

Some reviews run on and on. Others are short. This may be the shortest review ever, but it says it all. Today was my first time seeing Tade Biesinger as Billy.

OMG, OMG, OMG!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:Saturday matinee July 2

Tade/Neil/Alex

Some reviews run on and on. Others are short. This may be the shortest review ever, but it says it all. Today was my first time seeing Tade Biesinger as Billy.

OMG, OMG, OMG!
YES!!!!!!!!! Totally agree!!!!!!!!! :D

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”