October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by Billy Whiz »

Here is a place for October's reviews.

"Keep 'em coming"
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by Billy Whiz »

A friend was at yesterday's matinee and they told me that there was a breakdown which held up the show for an hour.

Luckily David Alvarez was present and he did a talkback with the audience.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:A friend was at yesterday's matinee and they told me that there was a breakdown which held up the show for an hour.

Luckily David Alvarez was present and he did a talkback with the audience.
As long as the stop wasn't too serious or long, what a cool, fortunate gift to the audience!!! =) Well done David!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

An hour is a long hold. 8-) But I would certainly have hung in there for a Q&A with David.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:An hour is a long hold. 8-) But I would certainly have hung in there for a Q&A with David.
Oh wow, I quoted Billy Whiz too, and didn't notice it was an hour. Man, that is a long time, but hopefully people weren't missing other plans post-show and that the special Alvarezian treat made up for it!
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Friday, Oct 7.

Billy - Giuseppe
Michael - Jack
Small Boy - Alex

My first time seeing Jack as Michael and Daniel Jenkins as dad. My first time , I think, for seeing Katherine McGraph as grandma and Lila Crawford as Debbie. I have no comments on the new (to me) cast except I did not buy into Daniel's dad. Too much shouting and ,well, I just didn't care for his way of performing the role. Maybe I'll change my mind after I see him a few more times. However, I really liked Jack as Michael. He added a few comical touches that I enjoyed.

Giuseppe was wonderful tonight, and he had an appreciative audience. He still has a great singing voice, and his acting skills are, if possible, even better now than I remember from my last time seeing him on stage. No need to comment on his dancing, except to say his Angry Dance tonight was a shattering experience. Wow! And something I've never experienced before - at the end of "Deep into the Ground," where Giuseppe enters, his lines were transposed downward a few keys, and then he and Daniel sang the last few words as a duet in harmony! It was beautiful!

And what about the language? The f word is still alive and well everywhere I remember hearing it in the past, except at the beginning, where Billy just doesn't know why they hate Thatcher, and Billy's reaction to seeing Michael in a dress the first time. I couldn't make out what he said before "hell," but it wasn't the f word. I was a bit surprised to hear small boy call George a wa**er. I thought that had been changed to bastard, but maybe I'm thinking of the tour.

After the show, I had the pleasure of meeting Giuseppe's father. We got along very nicely! :D And I had a nice chat with Giuseppe's mom as well. A great start to my 5-show Billython!
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

Who's Jake? Did you mean jack?
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I made the correction - Jack.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:And something I've never experienced before - at the end of "Deep into the Ground," where Giuseppe enters, his lines were transposed downward a few keys, and then he and Daniel sang the last few words as a duet in harmony! It was beautiful!
Peter and Daniel did this on Neil's last show too, so it's a recent but great change! Totally agree that it's a beautiful way of doing it.

Sean
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Another member had asked me about that, but I said I had no idea because I haven't been to the show in a while, but it sounds like it works great. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”