October 2011 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

shimmyshimmy wrote:
ERinVA wrote:Of course, they might also go to doing what Toronto did and use the standby Michael to play Tall/Posh Boy.
I suspect New York child labour laws don't allow that.
If they can use the backup Billy as Tall Boy without problems, then they can certainly use the backup Michael.

Speaking of using the backup Billy as Tall Boy, there was one performance I heard about where Trent was playing Tall Boy, and I think Tommy was on as Billy, but not quite sure. Anyway, at intermission, because of a minor injury during Angry Dance, they switched roles! So for the second half, Trent was Billy and Tommy was Tall Boy. As I recall, there was no announcement made about the switch. I bet that got an interesting audience reaction. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

ERinVA wrote:If they can use the backup Billy as Tall Boy without problems, then they can certainly use the backup Michael.
Maybe not: In Toronto, there were two actors who alternated playing Michael and Tall Boy, which means that they were on every show. NY law may not allow that. With four Billys, they could rotate being Billy, standby Billy, Tall Boy, and off. That might be allowed.

Also in Toronto, there was only one Small Boy who covered every show except for a very few where one of the Ballet Girls took the role.

Toronto: 4 Billy, 2 Michael/Tall Boy, 1 Small Boy; Total: 7
Broadway: 4/5 Billy, 2 Michael, 1 Tall Boy, 2 Small Boy; Total: 9/10
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

LiamM wrote:
ERinVA wrote:If they can use the backup Billy as Tall Boy without problems, then they can certainly use the backup Michael.
Maybe not: In Toronto, there were two actors who alternated playing Michael and Tall Boy, which means that they were on every show. NY law may not allow that. With four Billys, they could rotate being Billy, standby Billy, Tall Boy, and off. That might be allowed.

Also in Toronto, there was only one Small Boy who covered every show except for a very few where one of the Ballet Girls took the role.

Toronto: 4 Billy, 2 Michael/Tall Boy, 1 Small Boy; Total: 7
Broadway: 4/5 Billy, 2 Michael, 1 Tall Boy, 2 Small Boy; Total: 9/10
So far as I know, whenever a Billy in NY plays Tall Boy, he is the backup Billy. The NY production started using backup Billys to fill in as Tall Boy on an occasional basis a long time ago because of the fact that there is only one Tall Boy for the production, with no backup, so when the Tall Boy was out, they used a Billy. As for labor laws, Debbie, Tall Boy, and the ballet girls (with a couple of swings) do every single show, and there are two Michaels, both of whom are in the theatre for every show, so the argument about labor laws does not make sense to me. But in any case, it's great fun to see a Billy do the Tall Boy role. :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Interesting. I had thought that it was labour laws driving the differences in casting arrangements.

If standby Billy plays Tall Boy, what happens when the standby goes on? Does he switch hats and punch himself in the face after the audition scene? ;) (I suppose Michael could take over or Billy and standby can switch places.)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

LiamM wrote:If standby Billy plays Tall Boy, what happens when the standby goes on?
It should be noted that while in some instances it is the standby Billy, it isn't always. In fact, frequently its the Billy who will play the role two performances into the future, so that would eliminate that problem.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Apparently, what you heard was not correct. The flip might have been pulled for a while to be reworked with the Billys for safety and then reinstated. Who knows? It could have been pulled for any number of reasons, and the decision to reinstate it could also have been made for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that it's a really spectacular move.
Ellen

LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Giuseppe and Myles both started in productions which continued to use the flip. Perhaps they were permitted to continue, but those who start on Broadway are not trained to do it. It's too bad; I really like that moment in the show.

Do they do it on tour?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The Billys I have seen on tour (Giuseppe and Lex) have done it.
Ellen

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Are there any reviews out there? :D :D ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

LiamM wrote:Giuseppe and Myles both started in productions which continued to use the flip. Perhaps they were permitted to continue, but those who start on Broadway are not trained to do it. It's too bad; I really like that moment in the show.

Do they do it on tour?
Yep. Giuseppe, Lex, Kylend and Daniel all did the flip. Don't know about the current tour Billys though, other than Kylend.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”