Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

And now, back to reviews. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011
Sunday, Oct. 23, 2011

Was in New York this past week for a few BETMs - my first on Broadway (saw the show about a dozen times in Toronto). First off, it was wonderful to meet so many Forum members – people who I’d previously known only by comment and/or screen name – HugsY2K, deebeeeff (the seating plan guy!), RTM2008, dido, and (very briefly) AJ HOLDEN (with his young son).

Now, on to a few highlights and personal observations (and sorry, this will take more than a few words).

Giuseppe:
I’d read enough reviews of this Bausilio guy to expect a great performance. Well, let me confide that even my great expectations were brushed aside by the shock of actually seeing such accomplishment unfold before me. No one in the audience at the Saturday matinee I attended went home disappointed. What an astonishing amalgam of dancing, singing and acting ability. His aerial off the piano was so high and so far out into the stage, it was if he’d attached himself to the Dream Ballet harness a little early. The two-part harmony bit with Dad in "Deep into the Ground" is really special. What a rich voice this young man has. His pirouettes and leaps are a study in gracefulness and precision. And yes, he’s a big Billy. I thought that would matter. It didn’t. Funny how talent has a way of allowing you to see the character rather than the actor.

Peter:
I’d read that Peter delivered an emotional "Letter" scene. What I was not expecting was the shoulder-shaking, chest-heaving, full-on weep this young man managed to deliver on Sunday afternoon. I’d defy anyone not to be moved to tears by his performance. Add in great dancing, snap aerials, and a smile that could light up the balcony and you have quite a package. In her wonderful Broadway Billy blog, Kate Hennig wrote about “the young, tiny, blue-eyed wonder” -- Peter M. just as he was making his Broadway debut back in August 2010. “I don’t really know this kid yet,” she wrote at the time, “but I can sense his deep magic, his will, his courage... and that is what draws me in.” More than a year on has proven just how prescient her early assessment was.

Myles:
Myles is the only Billy I’d seen before, courtesy of the Toronto production’s 7-month stay. Every time I’d see him there, I’d witnessed greatness. And each subsequent visit, I’d seen the superlatives stretch even further. Now...Broadway...and even greater greatness, if such a thing is possible. That someone so small can dance so well is one of those head-shaking moments that make live theatre so special – a true study in focus, determination, and heart. He absolutely stuck his aerial somersault off the piano and his "Electricity" was astonishing. Big, very big, applause after. His singing voice has found a pure vibrato that absolutely seduces the audience. Look up “mastery” in the Billy dictionary and you’ll find repeated references to Myles.

Laura Marie Duncan:
Laura Marie substituted for the talented Emily Skinner at both Sunday performances. Such a different Mrs. W... and such a delightful one! Her take on the part reminds me a bit of Kate’s. Delightful chemistry with both Billys (Peter and Myles) and Thommie.

Tall Boys/Posh Boys:
Really liked seeing the Billys perform the part of TallBoy/Posh Boy. This never happened in Toronto as the two Michaels (Dillon Stevens and Jack Broderick) always alternated their roles – one performance as Michael and the next as Tall Boy/Posh Boy. Great seeing Jack again, by the way. For me, Jack has always brought a certain vulnerability to the role of Michael reminiscent of the movie’s Michael. He’s really comfortable in the role and the audience loves him (Cameron too).

Thommie Retter:
I don’t know quite where to begin here. Thommie’s “proper dancin” is beyond brilliant. Astonishingly acrobatic, yet comedic, To see him breaking his way across the stage is one of the most memorable things I’ve ever seen in a theater. And even though I knew what was coming in subsequent performances, I still howled. He does a great job supporting his young stars (literally and figuratively). Two things are immediately obvious: 1) we can see just why he’s such a good dance teacher, and 2) we can see just how much he loves this show. And talk about a great ambassador for BETM. Invited a few of us fans out to Sunday dinner at a nearby restaurant between shows. Even got a quick backstage tour. Special doesn’t begin to describe it.

The Whole Cast:
I was worried that the imminent end of Billy Elliot on Broadway might see the focus of some of its younger and older cast members drift or otherwise falter. Not to worry. No one on this stage...not the amazingly talented ballet girls... not the gifted and versatile ensemble players... no one...mailed in their performances at any of the shows I was lucky enough to see. This is a company at the absolute top of its game.

Of course, all those great memories...all those great performances...and the end of this great musical’s Broadway marathon...will make Jan. 8 all the more difficult for cast and audience alike.

In that poignant, final performance, it may be Billy and Dead Mum who’ll end up capturing the moment best....

“Love you forever," they'll reassure each other....

"Love you forever...”
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Wow! Bravo, tomtorfan, Bravo! Thanks so much for sharing your impressions of the show -- well thought out and beautifully written.

I love to read first impressions of a production of this show (Broadway) and yours was made all the more interesting to me by the fact that you have the perspective of being able to compare those impressions to those gained by having seen a different production of it (Toronto).
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your excellent review of the shows you saw, Tom. :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

tomtorfan wrote:Now, on to a few highlights and personal observations (and sorry, this will take more than a few words)
Tom, I like to think of myself as a pretty darn good review writer. My ego about said opinion aside, I'd just like to thank you for writing one of the best reviews our Forum has ever seen. Very well written, thought out and inspiring. Well done!!! And please, please, please see more shows and tell us about them here! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

tomtorfan wrote:Tall Boys/Posh Boys:
Really liked seeing the Billys perform the part of TallBoy/Posh Boy.
I wonder if this is how they plan on doing it for the duration of the Broadway run ? Hadn't heard if they were planning on replacing Ben Cook with a new tall boy/posh boy or continue having one of the Billys perform this role.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Of course, they might also go to doing what Toronto did and use the standby Michael to play Tall/Posh Boy.
Ellen

yanks1153
Small Boy

Post by yanks1153 »

Tall Boy/Posh Boy will be a Billy who is not performing the title role for that performance.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

3...2...1... :mrgreen:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

yanks1153 wrote:Tall Boy/Posh Boy will be a Billy who is not performing the title role for that performance.
Guess that's a fun way of seeing two Billys in one show. . . .without there having to be an injury or illness to the actor playing Billy that night. I'd be interested in seeing Giuseppe as the tall boy/posh boy when Tade's playing Billy. The audition scene where Billy clobbers the posh boy might be a bit of a stretch with this particular combination !

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”