November 2011 Reviews - NYC

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: November 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by porschesrule »

Nice review Chris. It's great to hear that Julian's debut went so well. I especially loved hearing your comparisons about the Toronto production and Broadway. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

jsd337 wrote:Great review angelenroute!

You missed one tiny little thing in Emily's speech that I thought was so wonderful, and that's when she, tears going down her face, that Myles was one of the most talented people she's ever worked with on stage. :D
Thanks. Good catch/reminder. =) I also forgot that his aerial off the piano in born to boogie was so perfect that even he gave a smile and a confident look that said, "wow, that was pretty good!" haha

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:They recently eliminated two ballet girls.
For the literalists out there, I'd like to clarify that they just eliminated the roles, not the girls themselves.

Thanks for the review Chris, looking forward to seeing him perform soon.

--Sean

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Nice review shimmyshimmy! Jekyll and Hyde is a great way to describe Julian in Angry Dance. And definite kudos to Stephen Hanna. He is always spot on, but the timing between him and Julian was exceptional at this performance.
:/
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Heaps of thanks to shimmyshimmy, Chris, Sean, and jsd337 for your vivid descriptions of what was evidently yet another memorable weekend at the Imperial. They almost made me think I was there. Almost.

I was delighted to read about Emily's moving tribute to Myles as he bowed out after what was by all accounts a spectacular last show. But I was even more delighted to read of the audience reaction and its rapturous embrace of this young star on learning of the finality of what they had just witnessed. He so deserves those ovations. I remember an interview with his mom early in the Toronto run in which she called him "focused." That's putting it mildly. If there's any actor who works harder at his craft...and whose effort has paid such dividends... I've yet to see him.

Great to hear that Julian's debut was also a stunning success. Those of us lucky enough to have seen the Toronto production were truly blessed by Julian's arrival on the scene in June. He was the last of the six Billys in Toronto and is now the last of the 16 Billys in New York. (Note to future casting directors: Sign up this guy EARLY. Your audiences will thank you!) I've always been astonished by Julian's ability to be Billy. His performance is so confidant...so natural...so utterly believable...that his take on the role has, for me, become the high-water mark. Eight weeks to go New York! Just enough time to see this young master at work.

One more thought. Does it matter that Myles and Julian...my two favourite Billys...are both Canadian and both from my neck of the woods? Probably not. So why do I want to run both of them up a flagpole and salute?
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

A thoughtful, well written account of Julian's Broadway debut, Shimmy. Great detail about the nuances of Julian's portrayal of Billy. As tomtorfan has said, it was almost like being there. Can't wait to read your observations of Myles last show and of your first time seeing Tade.

And btw, that's a very catchy phrase you used at the end of your review... "And Myles to go before I sleep" -- almost..... poetical :lol:
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Another great review, Shimmy. Thanks for sharing it. Memorable times for sure.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Friends, this will be brief, but I did want to check in after seeing last night's "fake anniversary" anniversary show. Slights to uninvited guests and horrible publicity aside for the moment, the special performances at the end were nothing short of overwhelming. Tweets and photos elsewhere paint the picture for you better than I can, so here's just my emotional version:

Stephen Daldry's speech at the start of the show was very nice because instead of just saying "the three Tony Award winning Billys will be performing tonight," he instead first said that the three boys "are here tonight" which added its own cool electricity-filled round of applause and cheers.

The whole house was standing for Tade at the Billy sign when he invited cast in as usual but instead of full cast it was a delightful surprise to see the other three Broadway Billys in taps and tutus to perform. Chills! At the exact end of their bit, all of a sudden the three Tony winning Billys appeared on either side of them. MAJOR chills and CRAZY applause and cheers.

Then the 4 young boys left the stage as Trent, David and Kiril did an awesome ballet dance. I was literally crying from the excitement, jumping up and down like I was at a rock concert and squealing away with joy. As they finished, all of the other Billys, the full cast and Stephen Daldry joined them, a bow and a wave and then curtain. It rocked!

At stage door, Tade got some applause and cheers, but as he was followed shortly by Kiril and David, the level of excitement was obviously very high for them. When Trent poked his head out minutes later by himself, I started whooing away to alert the masses. The boys were all surrounded by fans looking for autographs and photos.

A very exciting night. So glad I took the chance on Sunday afternoon to buy a $51.50 partial-view orchestra seat (row D on left side) for last night. I had a great seat and great view of a very special performance by the 4 current Billys and then a performance by the 3 Tony Billys. 7 Billys on stage together. I can die now! LOL ........ Well, Lord, please keep me til January 8th's show which I know you'll provide to us with an even more incredible array of former cast members!

Sean

dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Wow Sean. Just...Wow!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
jsd337
Small Boy

Post by jsd337 »

I had spotted Stephen Daldry way to the side so that confirmed for me that something special was coming.

Sean has already said what needed to be said, but I will add, I was seated on the edge on the right side orchestra, student rush tickets get partial view lol, but I could see from my angle everything on the stage right wings, and when Trent/Kiril/David were doing their never-ending turns, I could see Tade and Julian watching the 3 huge original Billys with a mix of excitement, cheer, and admiration. So it was like a mix of :D :o and cheering. It was cool to see all 7 on stage together, but I do wish they could've gotten the other 9 to make some sort of appearance too. Would've been cooler!

So I guess Myles' last show wasn't my last show of Billy, but it might be the anniversary show lol. But happy 3 years BE!

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”