November 2011 Reviews - NYC

LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: November 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by LiamM »

Major Canadian exports include lumber, wheat, maple syrup, and really amazing Billys. He made me cry this afternoon; well done!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

mikey2573 wrote:Saw Julian's Broadway debut today at 2 pm.
All I can say is HOLY COW! You MUST see this kid!
I was there too, and completely agree. Julian makes a great addition to the Broadway Billys. :D
:/
jsd337
Small Boy

Post by jsd337 »

I got to see Billy for the first time since like, the last week of April, tonight. I had bought the tickets thinking it would be the anniversary day (Nov. 13) but apparently it isn't, but I still ended up seeing, without knowing it would be, Myles' final show on Broadway/as Billy.

It took a little getting used to as pretty much the entire principal cast was made up of new people. The only same people in the same roles I remember from when I saw the show in April was Emily Skinner, and Lilla who plays Debbie. This was also the first time I ever got to see Billy staple Thommie Retter since he was out when I watched Billy back then. So it was a lot of new things and new people. Also, it being a Billy's final show, there were a few added moments for a finale show - Lilla's hug right at the end, a couple of little I assume personal things between Billy and castmembers (I noticed Myles do a few gestures towards Thommie/Braithwaite and Tony that I've never seen before).

On the way home I was thinking of a word to describe Myles' performance, and what I came up with was impressive. Because for the entire show I was just so impressed with him (and so were the people with and beside me). Everything he did was perfect, spot on, brilliant. He is an incredible dancer, be it ballet or tap. He also has great comedic and dramatic timing, and was really emotional during Letter scenes (I always love looking around during the first Letter scene because everyone's just bawling their eyes out lol). He has great energy and really emphasizes his lines. His Electricity was perfect, and as said before, when the tap/jump rope routine is done perfectly, it is quite a sight to behold, and Myles' B2B was just fantastic - no mistakes with the rope and he seemed to go super fast, and probably the most exciting bit for me, I finally got to see a Billy flip off the piano! Shallow, yes, but I've never seen one live, and it was so cool to see!

I'll separate one thing that I loved about Myles and that was his singing. Of all the Billys I've seen, and granted, I've only seen a handful of Billys live (just 4 prior to Myles), but even on recording or video, Myles had fantastic singing voice - he's a natural singer, and I think he does sing and I know he's posted stuff on YouTube. Myles has great control of his vocals. He has this really sweet vibrato, he hits those high notes like a classically trained Broadway singer, and he does this growl thing (specifically in Electricity) that is just great to hear. Most Billy's aren't singers and they do the best they can which is always sufficient for a non-heavy singing role, but Myles really has a great voice and I hope he does good with it.

The show ended with a very teary-eyed message from Emily Skinner about Myles leaving (there was no "See ya Myles," by the way - Jack and Myles stuck to the script!) and Myles was also really teary-eyed, as the crowd gave him a lot of applause throughout the show (sometimes DURING a song/dance which was really cool), and we gave him about 4 or 5 standing ovations at the end of the show. Happy Trails through the curtain. Also, Broadway Cares drive announcement (got a free Express Yourself pin for donating $5!). Long post-finale!

On other things, Jack might be my favorite Michael that I've seen. He's adorable, and just relishes the role, and moves and plays around with the role wonderfully. I love how he sing-songs some of his lines, and the way he sang "satin and lace" going all operatic and high was just so funny. Not to mention his great chemistry with Myles. Another person who I think doesn't get a lot of love much is Lilla, who plays Debbie. She's been the only Debbie I've seen on Broadway and each time, she's brought her A-game and she just delivers. She's a fantastic little firecracker.

I will have to say I was a tad disappointed that a lot of F-bombs were dropped from the show, but the other little changes they made, such as the deleting of the "break his legs" line of George in favor of "Near-enough," are welcome changes. Also, for the first time, I got one of those foam balls they shoot out during Maggie Thatcher! That's a keeper!

Sadly, this might be the last time I ever see Billy on Broadway. I might try and catch it again (I'll be gone over half of December and January, so I'll miss the final show) but I will have to see if I have the time and money to do so. It's been a wonderful, yet unfortunately short ride with you Billy, but it's been memorable and lovely. I'll miss you! :cry:
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I had no idea it was Myle's final show. Wonder why?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Myles had posted only a few days ago on his private fb page that he would be leaving last night. Despite a message to him asking permission to post the information on here and do an abbreviated countdown for him, I never received permission to do either. :( And of course, there was no announcement in the public media at all. :( It's good to know that his leaving was acknowledged at the end of the show by Emily Skinner, who worked with him as Mrs. W. in the Chicago production.

It's sad when we don't get enough notice for things like this. As to why he left, that is between him and the company. But with Julian now on board, they continue to have the usual complement of four Billys, and Julian holds the honor of being the last Billy to debut on Broadway.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Sunday evening, November 13, 2011
(Real Anniversary)
Billy: Myles Erlick
(his final performance in the role of Billy Elliot)

This was my first, last, and only time seeing Myles perform the role of Billy Elliot. I'd heard through the pastyvine that last night would be his final performance, so I bought a ticket in a hurry this past week. And I'm very glad I did!

I'm seeing the show around 12 times total in these last 12 weeks (yesterday was the 8-weeks-to-go mark by the way!) and I've had to pick and choose when I go and who I see. Haven't seen Joseph yet and now that Julian Elia has started, I have to see him too. "Oh my God, Sean, were you shot in the leg???!!!" "Oh, no, that's just my credit card bleeding." So having the one and only chance to see Myles was an easy choice, especially based on getting all thumbs ups from those who have seen him perform.

Myles has an intensity about him that makes him a really solid actor, and completely believable as a young boy growing up in that poor English village. His austere demeanor serves him well throughout the show. You see him wanting to do well, and concentrating so deeply on learning how to dance, so that when Mrs. Wilkinson tells him, "You can do this! You've worked so hard!" you know it's exactly what he needs and wants to hear. Though Myles doesn't smile much at all in the show, his smiles that start creeping out toward the end of the second half make it worth the wait. When you've watched this child go from flat on his face in his first couple of dance classes to the ultimate amazing accomplishments as the show goes on, those Myles smiles you finally get are just so much fun to see.

His singing voice throughout the show was extremely tender and soft, the notes of a little boy facing a huge uphill battle he knows he can win. It's a profound determination of heart and effort that serve as the backdrop of every song, and the story of a boy who wants desperately to do well at this new craft. By the time his biggest song comes in Electricity, his voice and confidence have crescendoed just as the character's abilities have, and the explosion of song and dance from this small but powerful young boy leaves you breathless and amazed.

I felt it last night as soon as Electricity was over that this one song, this one performance I'd just witnessed was worth every penny spent by every patron in attendance. Myles blew the roof off the place! It began with the song which he sang so earnestly and carefully, so believably and incredibly. And then came the dance. His "I'm free!!!" was followed immediately by a totally unexpected and totally awesome aerial right from the start that had me gasp "wow!" out loud. Followed by all of the choreography we all know well, his brief street-style maneuvers halfway were great, another aerial and then his ultimate close was PERFECT! A humongous roar came from the crowd at his finish and so many people leaped from their seats in applause as well.

When Myles had his "esquire" scene, the laughter from the audience affected him as well, so he had to suppress a smile of his own which just made us laugh even more.

As the show and finale ended, Emily Skinner led a happy Myles forward with his bouquet of flowers given him by Small Boy, Alex Drier. Emily asked us to sit because it was a very special show she wanted to tell us about (only about 20 people in the whole theatre would have known beforehand that it was his last). My memory is never perfect, sorry, but here's my best recollection of what was said.

Tonight is very special for us all, because Myles Erlick, who you just saw perform as Billy [tears were welling up and now beginning to run down her face] has just performed his last show.

Friends, the applause he got was so huge and so great it was just so beautiful. And the audience leaped to their feet as one body within seconds. They wanted to show this little boy all the love in the world, not only because he had just performed an absolutely phenomenal show for them, but because this being his last show, he needed to get all the love and appreciation he deserved for a final performance in the part as well. Genuinely appreciating their applause and cheers, Myles was very, very happy and smiling a lot. He genuinely appreciated the huge recognition he was getting from so many people on this very special night. Emily continued by telling us that...

Myles is from Ontario, Canada [big applause and cheers from many at that mention], he's performed the role of Billy in Chicago, Toronto and now here on Broadway, and he's going to be going back to school now at the National Ballet School of Canada where he'll continue his dancing [more applause]. We're all going to miss him very much. So let's give him one more round of applause for a job well done! The crowd, all on their feet, cheered and clapped wildly for him again.

I'm so glad I was able to see Myles perform! Though I cannot encourage you to see him in the show again, as with all of our cast I encourage you to follow his career and support him all you can. He's a real phenomenon and a truly gifted young man with a very bright future ahead of him. Congratulations Myles, and thank you for sharing some of your awesome, awesome talents with us! All the best for what I'm sure will be a fantastic future ahead!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Very well said, Sean. Thank you for sharing your observations and thoughts about Myles's final performance as Billy with those of us who couldn't be there. What a wonderful sendoff for this talented young man. It was nice to hear that Emily did the final speech, as they both go back to their roots with BETM in Chicago. Godspeed, Myles, on to a bright future. Can't wait til we hear from you again.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Thanks again Sean for another wonderful review. I really wish I'd had been able to see Myles perform the role.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
jsd337
Small Boy

Post by jsd337 »

Great review angelenroute!

You missed one tiny little thing in Emily's speech that I thought was so wonderful, and that's when she, tears going down her face, that Myles was one of the most talented people she's ever worked with on stage. :D
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sat. November 12, 2011 matinee

Billy - Julian (Broadway debut!)
Michael - Cameron
Small Boy - Alex
Tall Boy - Joseph
Dead Mum - Stephanie Kurtzuba (understudy)

This was the first time I have ever scheduled a trip for the purpose of seeing the Broadway debut of a Billy. After seeing Julian in Toronto once this summer I felt it would worth it, and I was not disappointed. As I mentioned in Julian's thread, resident director Gina Rattan came out and made a pre-show announcement that it was his debut.

As small boy climbed to the stage I heard a lot of people around me saying things like "aww he is so cute". It sounded like many of them thought Alex was Julian.

Boxing -
It has been over two years since I've seen a Billy play Tall Boy, and I was intrigued how this rotating scheme will work out. In this case I think Joseph does a very nice job with the role. He does quite a lot of rapid pushups.

Shine -
They recently eliminated two ballet girls. The scenes and numbers with the BGs work the same as before. I think only seasoned veterans of the show would notice the line up doesn't appear as full as it once was. Also the same number of chairs are on stage. When the girls are all sitting down against the side walls, two chairs are empty.

Grandma's song -
I first saw the new adult leads (Dad, Grandma, George, Big Davey) last month. In most cases I was not too impressed. Sean wrote in his review that they just need some time in the role. That definitely was the case for Katherine McGrath as Grandma. Last month I did not like her performance. It may be unfair, in that I kept thinking to myself "she's not Carole". Well I think the additional time has helped, because I enjoyed Katherine's performance much more this time. She seems a bit more relaxed and comfortable in the role. She is a fine actress and does well with making Grandma appear senile and confused.

Solidarity -
When Julian pays Mrs. W. the 50p, his "ripoff" line is quite audible. Often the Billys mutter it and few people can hear it. Most of the audience heard it this time and laughed.

Julian has a wonderful ballet pose in the "pick up the biscuit" part. He nailed the pirouettes at the end for a perfect finish!. :D

Express -
The "shut up you poof" line, another case where Julian made sure this was loud enough for the audience to hear. It got lots of laughs. When Billy and Michael dance with the two dresses on the hangers, Julian was unable to get his arm into the sleeve. Eventually he made do without it. Nothing slowed down, and I'm sure only those who know the show really well could notice. Toward the end of the number his microphone wire had come loose and was flapping around the back of his head. The mic itself was still in place, just the wire had pulled out. Julian didn't miss a beat though. Fortunately Billy gets to exit the stage for a few seconds after the number. When he reemerged for the letter scene, everything was in place again.

Letter -
I have seen Stephanie understudy Mum many times, and have not usually thought much of her performances. Today she was in great voice. She sounded amazing, the best I've ever heard her sing.

Boogie -
Julian really came alive in this number. He did a great set of criss-crossing with the rope, and finished with a flip off the piano to great applause.

Angry Dance -
I always love this number, although the variations in how the different Billys perform it are not always as pronounced as something like Electricity. Julian blew us away! He started with lots of primal screams, and the look on his face was not to be believed. His face was seething with anger, as if he was possessed. A great finish for act 1!

Maggie Thatcher -
I really like that Danny Rutigliano, the new Big Davey, kicks of the number instead of George. Danny's character is very jolly and "working class". He makes it fun. At first I wasn't thrilled when he sings the short bit of "It's not unusual", but eventually realized they added this to give the audience a little more time to return to their seats.

Tutu Scene -
Cameron did a great job on nutcracker line. It seems to be standard now that the Michaels all put their hands over their crotch after they scream in pain, to add emphasis to the nutcracker joke.

Dream Ballet -
One word for Julian..."ballet-tastic"! It's hard to describe in my layman's terms, but the way he holds his wrists, and chin when he moves gives the air of an accomplished ballet dancer. I have only noticed this with two other Billys: Kiril and Marcus. Just watching Julian's poise when he dances is a treat. Ok repeat: elbow, tummy, wrist, chin. :D

Electricity -
In Toronto he was not allowed to do an aerial in his routine. His parents told me he can do them, but the show wanted to wait until he was 'ready'. Unfortunately Toronto closed before that happened. :(

This time we were watching and wondering. There are some standard points in the choreography where, if a Billy is going to do an aerial, that's where it would be. Julian was doing a fine job with the normal choreography for the number. Then, amid the final set of handsprings that go diagonally across the stage, a perfect aerial! It was like a couple handsprings, aerial, then more hand springs. People around me were gasping. I had never seen one done at that exact point. Being that it was near the end of the song, I am sure it added to the strength of the applause.

In the goodbye scene with Mrs. Wilkinson when she enters and sees Billy there, Emily took a long time before saying "hello, can I help you". She just stared at him for a moment. I'm not sure why, but I think she was soaking up the delight that he had done such a good job.

Well done Julian, and congratulations on your Broadway debut! :)
-Chris
:/

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”