January 2012 Reviews - NYC

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

January 2012 Reviews - NYC

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sadly this will be the last monthly reviews thread for the Broadway show. :cry: Let's go out with a bang!
:/
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Re: January 2012 Reviews - NYC

Post by mikey2573 »

Well, I'll be the first to review a January show. I went to the Friday January 6th show and saw Julian's final show. This was my 2nd time seeing Julian and he is fantastic.
I am happy to report that it looks like someone (Daldry??) came in and did some polishing on the show for its final weekend. Some things I noticed;
Daniel Jenkins has been toned down a bit so he is not yelling or growling his DEEP INTO THE GROUND song. His breakdowns where he cries have also been reeled in, so they are more subtle and therefore more effective.
We get to see Mrs. Wilkinson's drunk husband when dad goes to her door on Christmas.
When the first woman walks over and offers money to dad ("Take this and this"), Dad would put his hand out and she'd just drop the money into his hand. This was not the way it was done with G. Jbara. Well, the old way has been restored. We are back to dad not putting his hand out so the woman grabs his hand and puts the money in his hand.
Emily Skinner's Mrs. Wilkinson is still in top form. And Thommy Retter is kick-ass.
Julian got a standing ovation after his ELECTRICITY.
Another very enjoyable performance by a great cast.
BTW, there are seats available for tomorrow but they are pricing them as PREMIUM ($250). Much as I love the show, I've seen it too many times to pay that much to see it again. So I will see BILLY one more time on SUnday.
Tomorrow I am hoping for PORGY AND BESS and maybe FOLLIES.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for inaugurating the reviews for the final shows, mikey2573.

I was there too, and I really enjoyed Julian's performance. He is a terrific actor--wonderful facial expressions. Both his Angry Dance and his Electricity were very intense. Last evening was Julian's final show, and he really held it together until he started sniffling a bit in the goodbye scene with Mrs. W. But of course that was entirely appropriate, as it also was when his Billy said goodbye to his mum.

As for other cast, this was my first time seeing several of them. If Daniel Jenkins' Dad has been toned down, I am left to wonder what he was like before, because I felt he yelled his lines throughout the entire show. I can see how I would like his Dad if he would just pull it all down a few notches, but that is not likely in only three more shows.

The new Grandma, on the other hand, could bring her performance up a notch or two. She could "shine" more in her big number, I think. She is a good singer, but there is not even a hint of a dance step during the last few bars of her song, which I found disappointing.

Tade was on last night as Tall Boy/Posh Boy. Wow! What a character!! His "press-up's" in the Boxing Scene were something to behold. Absolutely hilarious! And his Posh Boy was really wonderful. I can't really explain it, but he was probably the sweetest Posh Boy I've ever scene, and his take on the crying/running off after Billy hits him was perfect. He didn't carry on too much with the crying. It was just right, and quite convincing. I am looking forward to seeing his Billy for the first time today.

It was great getting together with so many "Superfans" last night for this final weekend. The Farewell Celebration before the show at Pearl Studios was awesome. It was wonderful to see so many cast members and former cast members "showing their stuff" with performances different from their BETM roles. Talent galore was on display in that room yesterday afternoon! FAB.U.LOUS! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Thommie Retter, the organizer of it all!! We love you more than we can say!!!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you mikey2573 and ERinVA for the early reviews from this weekend's final shows. It sounds like last night's show, preceded by the Fan Celebration, were as expected -- awesome!
mxmx
Small Boy

Post by mxmx »

The "changes" you described were all there in the shows just before Christmas. I didn't notice any difference in Jenkins' portrayal either.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

The last time I saw the show was in mid-November. None of the changes I mentioned were in at that time. I was glad to see them back. As to Jenkins, yes he does still yell a lot, but nothing like what he used to do. His DEEP INTO THE GROUND , a very tender song, was yelled and growled. On Friday he sang it quite nicely. He still yells most of HE COULD SHINE, but I am wondering if it has to do with his singing range. In roles I have seen him do in the past (BIG and BIG RIVER), it sounds like he is a tenor, but I think dad's songs are written for a bass/baritone. I wonder if the notes are too low for him to hit with any volume.
Anyway, anxious for tomorrow's final show. I was not able to see the two shows today (Saturday) . Anyone want to post some reviews?
SPINACH!!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The shows on Friday and Saturday were all amazing and filled with emotion. Many families and friends were in attendance as the various Billys, Michaels and small boys each performed in their last full performances. All three shows had standing ovations for Electricity. I'm sure today's will as well.

The Letter reprise scene with Billy and Mum has been especially emotional. The lines... "By Mum, see ya soon." "No Billy, I don't think so, do you? ... have special irony. Stephanie K. has understudied Mum at all three of these shows. She has becoming a great Mum over the years. At all three shows she and the Billy she was saying goodbye to were both in tears.
:/
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

CJ-Rochester wrote:The Letter reprise scene with Billy and Mum has been especially emotional. The lines... "By Mum, see ya soon." "No Billy, I don't think so, do you? ... have special irony.
After the Saturday evening show in which Joseph gave an excellent all-out performance, his Mom perhaps decided that a little turnabout was fair play. After Joseph had emerged from the stage door and signed about a half dozen autographs, Joseph's mom intercepts him with the kind of bear hug that Billy grabs Mrs. Wilkinson. A few words were spoken privately and the embrace continued for quite some time. Understandably, Joseph had a few tears to brush away once he resumed signing autographs and taking pictures with fans.

My viewing angle precluded capturing this event adequately, but one shot gives some sense of the poignant moment and I hope it will get posted soon enough. I trust that since his mom did this outside the privacy of the theater that she did not mind the public viewing this display of affection. She sure has good reason to be proud of her progeny!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ-Rochester tweets from the Imperial that Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall both spoke before Opening Curtain of today's final performance:

https://twitter.com/CJRochester

Another tweet later:

"The most amazing show ever! Standing O after almost every number."

And at the intermission:

"Act 1 had each Billy in different parts. Jack as Michael, Zachary as SB, peter as TB."
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

That photo of the final board actually made me cry....
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”