Mark Nichols - Dad

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Mark Nichols - Dad

Post by CJ-Rochester »

A thread for Mark Nichols, who plays Dad.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Mark Nichols - Dad

Post by kport »

Mark is an amazing Dad. He is also very generous with his time after the show with fans.

I am impressed by his empathy with the miners and their plight. He told me he came to this musical not having seen the film or the show. I think that can be a great advantage. His singing is superb, and his accent is spot on. And to think this is his weekend gig.............
jdmag44
Michael

Re: Mark Nichols - Dad

Post by jdmag44 »

Mark delivers an outstanding performance as Dad. He has performed for years in productions at the Palace and now landed a complex and meaty role that he could sink his teeth into - and boy did he bite into it!. His acting was very natural and "real". He managed the transition from bastard to supportive dad brilliantly. He portrayed the multidimensional and emotionally complicated dad with precision. Never over playing the role as some others have done. His rendition of Deep Into the Ground was sung so beautifully ending in his sobbing so Billy had to step in to finish. Very moving! He Rouses the audiences frustration with his anger,ignorance,and intolerance yet he manages to elicits their sympathy as well. When he realizes his son has a gift and regrets neglecting him while he was angry,depressed,lonely and grieving, Mark skillfully transitions to a dad that is endearing. With beautiful flashes of pride and expressions of love. At the end of Electricity he looks out at the invisible judges and places his hand over his heart and tearfully says "mine". When asked if he is entirely behind Billy he looks him in the eye and with a loving smile as he says yes, pauses and yes again more emphatically. When Billy jumps into his arms the embrace lasts a good 30 seconds then he slowly lowers Billy and kneels on the floor in front of him,ruffles his hair adjusts his coat and them hugs him again. Very tender moment indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed this masterful and stunning performance. Mark told me he knew little about BETM before taking on the role which he instantly fell in love with. His love for the role and his new found love for the story I am sure contributed to his astonishing performance.
Thanks Mark

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”