Marblehead Reviews, June

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Marblehead Reviews, June

Post by kport »

I went to see the third performance of BETM at the rather nice little Little Theatre in the historic district of Marblehead, MA. It is a perfect space for small productions, which BETM most certainly is not - but the production team brilliantly crafted the set in such a way that it worked perfectly.

The dedication of the cast to this story was apparent from the start. I was pleasantly surprised to see a seven piece orchestra in accompaniment, and both the Geordie dialect and the 'authentic' language were maintained. My fellow audience members and I agreed, upon leaving, that BETM is such a powerful story that it can be successfully put on in venues as large as The Muni, and as small as this Little Theatre.

I hope to give a few cast reviews after seeing both shows (and both Billys) next weekend. In the meantime, every show is sold out!
jdmag44
Michael

Re: Marblehead Reviews, June

Post by jdmag44 »

This wonderful "little" theater (90 seats) has courage and heart. Taking on BETM is a "huge" undertaking. With an full cast of 34 made up of only amateur performers managed to provide a production with all original language, a 7 piece orchestra, cleverly designed set, and a company that sang with full rich harmony and grit. Some of the acting and singing was not what one would find on Broadway or a large regional but they were more than adequate The story of Billy Elliot has its own power and this cast really understood that power and provided a wonderful emotional experience. The letter done as good as any I have seen with real tenderness and tears. Wonderful results from a lot of hard work and preparation. I was very unpressed.

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”