Re: NBC Announces that Peter Pan Will Be Aired Live in December

Post by kport »

Here is a useful little article from Voice Chronicle:

http://www.voicechronicle.com/201411-be ... h-november
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Not exactly sure where this belongs...but..; just viewed an absolutely extraordinary and georgous presentation of "Cats" on PBS's Fall Arts Festival.

I mention it only because having seen it a few times during its hayday some years ago, I never fully realized the extent of dancing (basically classical) executed by the young and highly skilled cast of cats. They can do it all in combination and mix with plenty of Acro, on top of the fact they all had singing voices of superior quality.

It has only been through my experiences with Billy Elliot which has inspired my appreciation for classical dance which I admit I certainly failed to grasp before Billy presented his story to us. It surely gave me cause to more thoroughly enjoy "Cats" tonight, more so than I would ever have thought years ago.

Do hope others may have seen the uninterrupted presentation tonight. It was utterly out of this world.

Colin
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's an interesting article that deals with the question of why Peter Pan is usually played by a woman:

http://trove.com/me/content/n1TDJ?chid= ... aign=srfan
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Well I enjoyed this quite a lot more than I thought I would. I really liked Allison Williams as Peter, and also Christian Borle and Kelli O'Hara as Mr & Mrs Darling. I didn't care for Christopher Walken as Capt. Hook. I just didn't like how he played the role. It was nice also to see Ryan Steele as one of the most prominent of the Lost Boys.

The set of Neverland was bright and colorful, reminding me a little of Munchkinland from the "Wizard of Oz" movie. Overall it was an enjoyable evening. The bonus was seeing the trailer for the "Into the Woods" movie at the first commercial break.
--Chris
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I watched this as well. I thought Allison Williams was an excellent Peter. I have to say that I thought she was much better as Peter than Carrie Underwood was as Maria in the previous NBC production of "The Sound of Music." At first I didn't quite know what to make of Walken's Hook, but as I continued to watch, his characterization grew on me. As a dog lover, I have to say that I was really impressed with Nana. What a well trained dog! All in all, I enjoyed spending my evening in Neverland ( except for the overload of commercials ). I wish they had done it with limited commercial breaks.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I enjoyed it too! It was fun and the sets were as good as could be for an indoor studio. I even enjoyed Christopher Walken. I always enjoy his work and his odd delivery, and this was no exception.
I thought the dance numbers were better than expected. I didn't really expect much, but when I saw some of the names, I should have realized it would be good. I was especially happy to see the Guzman twins in it. They are always exceptional!

And thank you for posting that link. I always wondered why Peter Pan was generally played by a woman. With all the talent we are familiar with from the various Billy's we've seen, I'm sure any of them would have done an admirable job. But who am I to argue with tradition!
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

I like it but I think they should of done better wires because I can see wires well enough and I think that wouln't be good if you can see it. That's just my oppinion. Also flying was a little boring
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Broadway World offers an extensive review of last night's Peter Pan Live:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/SO ... l-20141205
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

I guess that I am in the minority here but...
The idea of a live performance of classic musicals is great. HOWEVER the acting in both Sound of Music and now Peter Pan was abysmal.
Perhaps Music Man will be better.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”