http://www.playbill.com/news/article/17 ... ur-Planned
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
atreyu
George

Re: Imperial Theater

Post by atreyu »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Guess what theater is coming open this summer :D :D :D :D
Let's see. Les Mis was announced for a March 2014 opening at a "Shubert theater to be announced." The Imperial is a Shubert theater and hosted Les Mis for over 12 years. Before the Imperial, Les Mis was at the Broadway Theatre which is also Shubert, but currently hosting Cinderella. So if Les Mis is targeted for the Imperial, it leaves 9 months open and not making money.

Billy Elliot will not have been seen on Broadway for 19 months when the Tour finishes Brazil. Could something like a 3-month stint at the Imperial fill enough otherwise empty seats to become a serious consideration? It has been deemed too expensive to run permanently on Broadway and a revival from scratch in future years would require a huge investment. But (aside from differences in SETA and normal Equity contracts) having something of a headstart with a fully trained Tour cast and crew with apparently nowhere else to go, could NYC be this one-time-only opportunity for a final "Tour" stop? Something to ponder...
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

atreyu wrote:
Musical Fanatic wrote:Guess what theater is coming open this summer :D :D :D :D
Let's see. Les Mis was announced for a March 2014 opening at a "Shubert theater to be announced." The Imperial is a Shubert theater and hosted Les Mis for over 12 years. Before the Imperial, Les Mis was at the Broadway Theatre which is also Shubert, but currently hosting Cinderella. So if Les Mis is targeted for the Imperial, it leaves 9 months open and not making money.

Billy Elliot will not have been seen on Broadway for 19 months when the Tour finishes Brazil. Could something like a 3-month stint at the Imperial fill enough otherwise empty seats to become a serious consideration? It has been deemed too expensive to run permanently on Broadway and a revival from scratch in future years would require a huge investment. But (aside from differences in SETA and normal Equity contracts) having something of a headstart with a fully trained Tour cast and crew with apparently nowhere else to go, could NYC be this one-time-only opportunity for a final "Tour" stop? Something to ponder...
Quite a feasible idea. The problem is in the timing. Unless this has been planned, and kept under wraps for several months, the current cast will have been planning for the future, and may - just may - already have their next employment sorted. The kids' parents will have considered the coincidence with the start of another school year. Certainly to end the present tour after an extended stop in NYC (even if only for a limited time, per the terms of SETA) would be fitting. Of course, all that lies in the hands of the parent companies, who would (in my view) have made that decision by now. So my guess is that it won't happen - although I would be delighted to be proven wrong!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

What strikes me is that so few of the current cast have definite plans beyond the end of the announced tour. I think that most have a lot of flexibility.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I'm not sure how you drew the conclusion about cast members' plans, but let's please avoid speculation about what they do or do not have lined up. If/when something public is posted about any cast members' plans beyond the show, then we can discuss that information. Otherwise, it falls into the category of speculation.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

kport wrote:Certainly to end the present tour after an extended stop in NYC (even if only for a limited time, per the terms of SETA) would be fitting.
I'm pretty sure that under union rules, a show cannot perform under the SETA at a Broadway theatre. I think they would need to use a regular production contract.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

LiamM wrote:
kport wrote:Certainly to end the present tour after an extended stop in NYC (even if only for a limited time, per the terms of SETA) would be fitting.
I'm pretty sure that under union rules, a show cannot perform under the SETA at a Broadway theatre. I think they would need to use a regular production contract.
Broadway is a 'closed shop'? Crumbs! Then off Broadway, or even New Haven.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ERinVA wrote:I'm not sure how you drew the conclusion about cast members' plans, but let's please avoid speculation about what they do or do not have lined up. If/when something public is posted about any cast members' plans beyond the show, then we can discuss that information. Otherwise, it falls into the category of speculation.
Very true. Almost no plans have been made public, so I will have no more speculation.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Per this Theater Mania tweet, looks like the Imperial Theater won't be available after all:

"Breaking News: @BillyCrystal will bring his solo show 700 SUNDAYS back to Broadway, November thru January at the Imperial Theatre."

https://twitter.com/theatermania
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

porschesrule wrote:Per this Theater Mania tweet, looks like the Imperial Theater won't be available after all:

"Breaking News: @BillyCrystal will bring his solo show 700 SUNDAYS back to Broadway, November thru January at the Imperial Theatre."

https://twitter.com/theatermania
Bah! Couldn't even hold onto my dream for more than 36 hours. :cry:

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”