When are you going to see other shows in New York next?

Chat about other shows here
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When are you going to see other shows in New York next?

Post by ERinVA »

We actually have a subsection under the International Tour section for "Other Touring Shows." If you decide to review the performance, and we hope you will, you can create a thread for the show here: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... .php?f=126
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I will be visiting NYC next week, 3/25-28, and am seeing these shows, in case anyone happens to be around:

Tues: Matilda,
Wed matinee: Bullets Over Broadway,
Wed evening: Bridges Of Madison County,
Thurs: If/Then.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Lucky! 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

:o Fantastic line up Chris-you sure don't miss much. Please be sure to review them for us. ENJOY
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Enjoy, Chris! I haven't been to any Broadway shows since Giuseppe was in Newsies. Feels like years ago! I'm actually happy I'm not too compelled to see any though, as my personal net worth is negative dollars right now, and has been for a while (not including 401k and house money)! Still, the credit card is always calling my name in big capital letters. :) Have a great time!

Sean
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here are my reviews of the shows I saw this week:

Matilda -
My second time seeing it. Loved it just as much as my first time a year ago, if not more. The Matildas don't have as much dancing as the Billys, but they have far more lines, plus they are a couple of years younger. Gabby played the lead and is amazing.

Bullets Over Broadway -
A fun, fun, old-style gangster musical. Musical numbers were great, some of the book scenes got bogged down. It's still in previews so hopefully they can fix them. Susan Stroman's big dance numbers were good, but sometimes felt constrained and closed in by the sets. I loved Helene Yorke as the blonde bimbo! The 'Hot Dog Song' should win her a featured actress Tony. This was one of my favorite Woody Allen movies, and I think it adapted well to the stage.

Here's an interesting note for BETM fans... Janet Dickinson (Mrs. W. from the tour) is understudy for Marin Mazzie, the lead female role of Helen Sinclair. I didn't have time to flip through my program before the show started. When Helen's character emerged I thought to myself "she looks just like Janet". I took a quick look and found the white slip between the front pages that said Janet was playing the role that day. I was disappointed because I am a big fan of Marin Mazzie, but Janet did an awesome job. With the show still being early in previews I can't imagine that understudies have had much time to rehearse. Janet appeared as polished as someone who has been doing the role for a while.

Bridges Of Madison County -
Very operatic score, with beautiful but difficult music. Minimal sets, no covered bridges, how do you do a story about someone photographing covered bridges and not have the bridge look even remotely like a bridge? Some of the most gorgeous lighting I've ever seen in a musical! Kelli O'Hara (who I have loved in several other shows) is good here, but not as stellar as I had hoped. Her co-star Steven Pasquale is incredible, sexy, with a voice to die for! He is the main reason to see it.

If/then -
My favorite show of the trip, 'Next to Normal' meets 'Rent', an emotional rollercoaster, brilliant music/lyrics, witty dialog, loved the set and lighting. Idina Menzel is brilliant and totally perfect, but I think the show can also be good with other actresses of the same type. I also loved LaChanze, who plays her close friend. Anthony Rapp was a bit disappointing and dull.
Note: this is the only new musical this season with an original story. Everything else is adapted from movies, etc. It gets confusing at times, because they are telling two parallel stories, but it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter. You still see how things work out in the end. I predict this will be a huge hit!
--Chris
:/
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I've been off my game for quite some time now, but finally seeing Matilda and Les Mis later this week. I'd seen the original Les Mis when it played, and I hated it, but I attribute that to the fact I was still a kid. You have to have lived a bit to really understand the many nuances of Les Mis! It was my first Broadway show too, at The Imperial. ;) Loved the movie, and I'm sure I'll love this production! Never saw the Matilda movie, so going into that one happily aloof. Awesome seats up front for both shows.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I will be visiting NYC next weekend, 3/13-16, and have a full lineup of shows, some of which have BETM connections. If anyone happens to be around and would like to grab lunch or coffee, let me know.

Friday: Skylight (directed by Stephen Daldry),
Saturday: The Audience (directed by Stephen Daldry), The King & I (Sam Poon in the ensemble),
Sunday: Constellations, Finding Neverland (with Alex Dreier)
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

CJ-Rochester wrote:I will be visiting NYC next weekend, 3/13-16, and have a full lineup of shows, some of which have BETM connections. If anyone happens to be around and would like to grab lunch or coffee, let me know.

Friday: Skylight (directed by Stephen Daldry),
Saturday: The Audience (directed by Stephen Daldry), The King & I (Sam Poon in the ensemble),
Sunday: Constellations, Finding Neverland (with Alex Dreier)
As it turns out, I will be passing through NYC this weekend on my way to my sister's house on Long Island. Will catch a show each way, If/Then on Saturday afternoon and then will join you at Finding Neverland Sunday evening. Real glad I saw your post since I originally targeted the weekend of the 21st/22nd to catch If/Then on closing weekend as well as a Finding Neverland preview. But my sister was unavailable that weekend, and so I thought I'd have to make two trips to see those two works. Only upon reading your itinerary did I realize Finding Neverland is an option this weekend. With the 7 PM start time for Finding Neverland, I'll be somewhat bleary eyed for work on Monday morning, but it'll be worth it. :lol:

I'll PM you with specifics, as they're still being ironed out. But it's great that this thread exists and pays off for the two parties involved in the events that inspired it!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Great to hear, atreyu. Looking forward to seeing you Sunday. :D

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”