Publicity - Netherlands

DenP
Small Boy

Re: Publicity - Netherlands

Post by DenP »

My point is that Billy Elliot is not just 'about a boy who wants to dance'. By focusing on the Billys and the the whole process from auditions, training and performing, most people, especially the ones who are not familiar with the movie and/or the musical (and that's the majority of the potential audience in The Netherlands), had a wrong perception of the musical. Causing many people to think that it was a family musical about a boy doing ballet. Instead they were confronted with a story that is much more complex, with harsh language etc etc.

This all was mentioned in the programme book, but not so much in the publicity campaign. That made, in my view, that quite a lot of people were disappointed about what they saw which led to less mouth-to-mouth publicity as should have been.

So it is not just about informing people about the strike, as well as informing people in a more balanced way about what the musical is about. I don't know if the production would have been more successful that way, but I do think that the publicity campaign as was done was not so amazing as other people think it was.

Return to “Netherlands Archive”