Publicity - Netherlands

htcpt
Small Boy

Re: Publicity - Netherlands

Post by htcpt »

Frank wrote:BackstageNow video of the last Dutch show (including behind the scenes footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8XqPx-vjo
This video reminded me of two facts (well, opinions actually) that I have been thinking of recently:

1. The publicity campaign by the Dutch company has been absolutely amazing from start to end. The 'Van auditie tot applaus' series (screened on Dutch TV and still available on YouTube), the appearances on DWDD, the series of BackstageNow videos (including this last one), all fantastic. Although I have not had the privilege of seeing the Dutch production myself (confession: I have only seen one, Harries Beattie, in London in March 2012), I feel I almost know the Billys (especially the first cast). The 'early end' of the production was not for the want of better publicity!

2. I think the choice of Billys has been very inspired (I can't believe it was coincidence): The first cast had a few very experienced performers in Roan and Stijn and an already relatively accomplished dancer in Jillis. Of course there were risks involved there as well (an early exit because of voice problems and or size being one), but it gave a good 'foothold' to the start of the production. The second cast was young (Nick the youngest Billy ever to start) and fresh. They could have easily played their entire 'allocation' of 40 shows in 2016 (which would have taken us into the second half of the year), but alas, that was not to be :cry:
DenP
Small Boy

Post by DenP »

I don't agree with the fact/opinion that the publicity campaign has been amazing. If it would have been the show would still be playing in the Circustheater.

Yes, by looking at the news items and tv series one might get the feeling that you almost know the Billys but in my view that has been a huge mistake as well. Too many publicity has been given to the Billys (don't get me wrong, all the attention was well deserved, I contributed to that myself as well) but the story of the miner's strike and Maggie Thatcher's era has not been given much attention. This caused that a lot of people, especially the ones who did not see the musical before nor the movie, went to see the show with wrong expectations. They were confronted with a story about miners on strike, harsh language, while instead they expected to see just a dancing boy and a feelgood story. They were given the impression that it was more of a family show because the publicity was all about the Billys.

The quality of the show and cast was perfect, the standard was high, throughout the entire year, the Billys, Michaels, Debbies, small/tall boys and ballet girls did a great job. That was not the problem. The problem was that not enough people bought a ticket and took the time to see the show. In that sense the publicity campaign was not able to convince people to come and see the show. And that's what the main objective of a campaign should be.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

I agree with the comment about the publicity being a good thing. Some background first. I only really picked up on BETM (London) in May of this year when items appeared on BBC News about the 10th anniversary, though I had seen the film when it was first issued. Before May I had not the slightest interest in any musical. However, these TV snippets led me to the internet, where I discovered the live performance on DVD, and after watching the DVD I felt I had to see it live at Victoria Palace. I have (so far) been to London three times (Elliott [on his return when Thomas was injured], Brodie and Ollie). Other visits to London are now in the planning, and also I am particularly looking forward to the touring show in my native north-east.

During my exploration of the internet I came across the four episodes of 'Van auditie tot applaus', three of which have English translations. These episodes gave a real and lengthy insight into the whole process of selecting and training a Billy through to first performance (as the title says). They also revealed the personalities of the first six Billys. Tydo, the bubbly extrovert who was always first to express an opinion at joint interviews or press conferences ; Stein, the obviously intelligent, talented and somewhat enigmatic individual, with a dry sense of humour ; Roan, multi-talented singer, actor, piano player etc etc and always smiling, someone who was happy with life ; Jillis, shy but a natural born dancer ; Svenno, again someone who was an outwardly quiet lad, but clearly highly regarded as he was was the stand by for Carlos at the premiere, and also represented the show at the Musical Awards Gala 2015 with his performance of Kippenvel ; finally, Carlos who never pushed himself to the front but was often referred to as someone who had worked really hard to try to achieve perfection. More about Carlos next paragraph.

On a regular basis new video clips were made available on the internet, with the Billys and also other members of the cast involved. This continued with the six new Billys, and then all the way through to the final performance on 7th November - brilliant coverage of a spectacular night. It was this level of engaging followers and potential audiences with the production that led me to make a detour en route to Belgium. This was late July. I saw Nick on I think his second performance, a tiny and very young looking lad (his Billy clothes looked a size too big for him, yet to be grown into) who was still exploring the role, but had everyone on their feet at the end of the evening. Carlos made his final appearance the previous evening. I can only say I was astonished at his acting ability. Others have remarked on his ability to act, but he was just so convincing, and for the duration of the performance he became Billy. I have already referred in an earlier post to the last performances with the role taken by Faas, Samuel and Sammy.

So, yes, great marketing, publicity and general information for followers of the Netherlands production. And what do we get from London ? A two or three minute, standard format, meet the new Billy, followed by - usually nothing !

Incidentally - is there an agreed plural for Billy ? - Billy’s ; Billys’ ; Billys ; Billies ; Billy x number ?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Incidentally - is there an agreed plural for Billy ? - Billy’s ; Billys’ ; Billys ; Billies ; Billy x number ?
Plural: Billys
ex: There are two Billys signing autographs at the stage door.

Possessive: Billy's (singular) or Billys' (plural)

ex: That is Billy's dressing room. (sing.)
ex: The two Blllys' dressing room, which they share, is behind the stage.

Collective noun (suggestions?):

A cast of Billys.
A group of Billys.
A troupe of Billys.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Note that the name "Billie" is usually used for a female person.

You should not change a proper name to pluralize it by changing a "y" to an "ies".

My name is Gary. Growing up, I had a friend who was also named Gary. I never saw anyone ever refer to the two of us together as "the Garies".
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote: Collective noun (suggestions?):

A cast of Billys.
A group of Billys.
A troupe of Billys.
Well done, kport. ;) As to the above, might I suggest a bevy of Billys? Bevy can mean a collection or group, but also more specifically of swans, so it could work both ways. e.g. "There was a bevy of Billys billowing out across the stage."

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:
kport wrote: Collective noun (suggestions?):

A cast of Billys.
A group of Billys.
A troupe of Billys.
Well done, kport. ;) As to the above, might I suggest a bevy of Billys? Bevy can mean a collection or group, but also more specifically of swans, so it could work both ways. e.g. "There was a bevy of Billys billowing out across the stage."
I thought of a collective noun Tony might have used, but good taste prevents me from mentioning it here ......

Bevy is good, though it is also British slang for a drink (beverage).

"I was detained at the Rose and Crown, having a bevy or two...."
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Bevy is good, though it is also British slang for a drink (beverage).

"I was detained at the Rose and Crown, having a bevy or two...."[/quote]
I think that's usually written bevvy, with two v's, but I hear ya!

And yeah...publicity for the Netherlands production...

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Frank
Small Boy

Post by Frank »

Real Geordie wrote:It was this level of engaging followers and potential audiences with the production that led me to make a detour en route to Belgium.
Belgium? :shock:
htcpt
Small Boy

Post by htcpt »

DenP wrote:I don't agree with the fact/opinion that the publicity campaign has been amazing. If it would have been the show would still be playing in the Circustheater.

Yes, by looking at the news items and tv series one might get the feeling that you almost know the Billys but in my view that has been a huge mistake as well. Too many publicity has been given to the Billys (don't get me wrong, all the attention was well deserved, I contributed to that myself as well) but the story of the miner's strike and Maggie Thatcher's era has not been given much attention. This caused that a lot of people, especially the ones who did not see the musical before nor the movie, went to see the show with wrong expectations. They were confronted with a story about miners on strike, harsh language, while instead they expected to see just a dancing boy and a feelgood story. They were given the impression that it was more of a family show because the publicity was all about the Billys.

The quality of the show and cast was perfect, the standard was high, throughout the entire year, the Billys, Michaels, Debbies, small/tall boys and ballet girls did a great job. That was not the problem. The problem was that not enough people bought a ticket and took the time to see the show. In that sense the publicity campaign was not able to convince people to come and see the show. And that's what the main objective of a campaign should be.
That's an interesting point of view. Are you suggesting that if the publicity (education?) around the miners' strike would have been better the show would have been more successful commercially? I am (on purpose) not agreeing or disagreeing with you at this stage, just wondering.
It is certainly true that the understanding of the Dutch public of the 1984 strike is (certainly by now) very limited. Has there been more effort in other non-UK productions (US, Scandinavia, Australia, Korea) to show the significance of the strike? And do you believe this understanding is important in the experience of the visitors to the VPT performances (many of whom are not British either)?

Return to “Netherlands Archive”