May 2015 Reviews - Netherlands

Billy Person
Audience Member

May 2015 Reviews - Netherlands

Post by Billy Person »

I.m not sure where I'm typing this. It should go to May reviews.

I went to shows Fri May 1, Sat night May 2 and Sun May 3:

Billys were Roan on Fri, Tydo on Sat and Carlos on Sunday. If there's a Board announcing the cast, I never saw it so had to go by the program. The Michael pictures in the program weren't that good. But Friday was Noah, Sat was Floris and Sun was (not in the program). Looks like he started in April replacing Tycho. He's very tiny. I'm guessing he's 9. And he was my first black Michael.

I'll be brief. My grade on both the Dutch show and The Hague area where it's located are both A+. If you live in Europe, you have no excuse not to see it. If you're in North America, it's just a bit further. If you're a Billy person, language is a non-issue. But the show takes a back door to no other. It's a winner. The young cast (including the ballet girls) are amazing. It's pretty much the London show, with Toronto sets, NY holes in the floor and spoken and sung in Dutch.

My overwhelming feeling on Friday night was that it just doesn't get any better that this. I was dazzled. Roan exhibited pure ballet genius. Who did he remind me of? Liam Mower, although I've never seen Liam, but I've seen him on tv several times. Noah took every charasteristic of every great Michael I've ever seen and put them all together to create a near perfect Michael who stole every scene and hammed things up to perfection Couldn't have asked for a better Billy/Michael out of central casting.

Saturday night? These guys evoked the great pairing of Myles/Dillon. And they looked and danced like them. They just didn't sound like them. I'm not sure I ever really noticed speed of spins before. It's something I've noticed more from figure skaters. But little Tydo was spinning so fast, I was sure he was going to drill another hole in the floor.

Sunday? My biggest takeaway was Carlos' Angry Dance. No one has ever done an Angry Dance like that. Just never. It's always impressed me when a happy kid can turn himself into a total dancing demon for those few minutes (think Julian). I love Angry Dance. This performance simply exceeded the possible. I didn't stop shaking all intermission.

The location around the musical is really beautiful. There's a long wide boardwalk by the ocean, kind of like Atlantic City only it's nice. The Netherlands isn't cheap, but it's nowhere near as expensive as Dennmark.

Oh just an aside, I was told that Carlos, as well as having a brother who is a Michael, they have a sister who's going to be a ballet girl.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: May Reviews: Netherlands

Post by porschesrule »

Billy Person wrote:The Michael pictures in the program weren't that good. But Friday was Noah, Sat was Floris and Sun was (not in the program). Looks like he started in April replacing Tycho. He's very tiny. I'm guessing he's 9. And he was my first black Michael.
That was Tevin Themen playing Michael. And though everyone describes him as tiny, I believe he's actually older than nine and just small for his age, though I can't find where I read that now.
onceagain
Tall Boy

Post by onceagain »

porschesrule wrote:
Billy Person wrote:The Michael pictures in the program weren't that good. But Friday was Noah, Sat was Floris and Sun was (not in the program). Looks like he started in April replacing Tycho. He's very tiny. I'm guessing he's 9. And he was my first black Michael.
That was Tevin Themen playing Michael. And though everyone describes him as tiny, I believe he's actually older than nine and just small for his age, though I can't find where I read that now.
I'm pretty sure Tevin is around 11 years old, but he is just ridiculously tiny. Actually, Floris (who just might be the tallest Michael of the bunch) is just 9 years old. Also, Billy Person, there are several cast boards hanging throughout the theatre (near to the box office and near the cloakrooms).
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Billy Person wrote:
…. If there's a Board announcing the cast, I never saw it....
The cast board is displayed on several monitors but only those behind the wardrobe.
...The location around the musical is really beautiful. There's a long wide boardwalk by the ocean, kind of like Atlantic City only it's nice...
agreed, except it's not the ocean ;)
[..The Netherlands isn't cheap, but it's nowhere near as expensive as Dennmark.
Ha! You haven't been to Norway yet. :shock: :lol:

Return to “Netherlands Archive”