Final show 7 November 2015 Reviews

JTfan
Small Boy

Re: Final show 7 November

Post by JTfan »

Thanks for your reviews, Real Geordie! :) You captured the mood really well.
You praise all three Billys but can you perhaps comment on any differences you may have noticed? In their style, way of portraying the role, certain characteristics? I'm just curious because I've only seen Sammy perform and would like to know a bit more about the other Billys, what makes them unique.

I found another review in Dutch of the matinee of 7 November which explained why it was called a "keetshow" (keet = having fun, going crazy).
http://www.musicalnieuws.nl/album/cat/643

(Perhaps a moderator can move these posts to the Reviews section)
Always be yourself
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Final show 7 November 2015 Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

I have moved these two posts into the thread for reviews of the final show. I realize that not all the shows described are THE Final Show, but I think the review will fit just fine in this thread.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
htcpt
Small Boy

Re: Final show 7 November 2015 review

Post by htcpt »

Dancer wrote:...... but it was a shame that the second cast Billys and Michaels in the end performed relatively few shows. They all must have incredible talent and the best of luck to all of them in the future.
Yes, to me that is the really sad part. The second cast of Billys got between 14 and 18 performances after an enormous amount of schooling and training (some of them were at the original BillyScool and were 'retained' for the second cast). The second cast of Michaels got a bit more as the first cast originally had only 5 Michaels and one of these (Tycho) left relatively early on so they started when the first cast of Billys were still playing. And the third cast of ballet girls (the girls plus small and tall boy did not fall under the special dispensation that Billy and Michael got to play 40 instead of 24 shows in a calendar year, so there was a need of a third cast) also did not get a lot of stage time.

But in the end, if you can't sell enough tickets, there is no option but to call it a day. The AFAS Circustheater has over 1800 seats, difficult to fill in what in the end is a provincial town (with apologies to people living in Den Haag) with not a lot of tourists. So you need to draw people from all over the country and that's not easy. (for comparison's sake, we all know that the VPT has just over 1500 seats and is in one of the worlds leading tourist / theater destinations).
htcpt
Small Boy

Post by htcpt »

porschesrule wrote:The reason for a show ending is usually monetary in nature. There's been a lot of discussion, both here and on the BETM General Fan FB page about many empty seats of late.

Also, the theatre was booked a while ago for Beauty and the Beast, so that could be another reason.

Finally, if it was going to close this Fall, choosing a date that was almost exactly one year from the date of the show's opening, very probably isn't coincidental.
I believe that just before the closing date was finally announced, they were still selling tickets until the end of November, so it appears they brought the end of BETM forward (and the start of BATB - is that a mnemonic as valid as BETM? - as well).

Can I start another speculation?
Beauty and the Beast also showed in the Circustheater in 2007/8.(https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circustheater#Producties) will BETM also come back one day??
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Re: Final show 7 November

Post by Real Geordie »

JTfan wrote: You praise all three Billys but can you perhaps comment on any differences you may have noticed? In their style, way of portraying the role, certain characteristics?
I’m not sure if I can add anything to be honest. Because of the occasion I was paying more attention to enjoying the overall performances of the whole cast and how the performances as a whole went. I think judging a Billy on observation of a single performance might not give an accurate picture. All I can say is that Faas, Samuel and Sammy all gave great individual performances, made the audiences happy, and did themselves proud.
JTfan
Small Boy

Post by JTfan »

htcpt wrote:will BETM also come back one day??
This is my hope :)

In your other post you mentioned the location of the Circustheater in Scheveningen. It is a beautiful theatre, very stylish, and the experience of seeing a show there is worth the money. But it's not centrally located like the Beatrixtheater in Utrecht (the other theatre of Stage Entertainment) and for many people traveling back home late at night after the show can be a nuisance. Then again, you do have the seaside right there, which makes it possible to turn a visit to a show into a nice day out :)
Always be yourself
JTfan
Small Boy

Re: Final show 7 November 2015 Reviews

Post by JTfan »

I realised that I forgot to mention that the "posh Dad" at the audition also did a splendid job. His first sentence to Jackie, which is supposed to sound completely over the top in a posh accent, was so extremely unintelligible that it caused a roaring laugh from the audience. This was an example of overacting which worked perfectly :) That whole scene was done really well by both dads.
Showing the contrast between the upper class and the working class to great comic effect clearly works outside Britain too :)
Always be yourself

Return to “Netherlands Archive”