Chat About Wheelock Family Theatre, Boston, MA

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Chat About Wheelock Family Theatre, Boston, MA

Post by kport »

Every performance at Wheelock has two close captioned screens either side of the stage, so that everyone can enjoy the show:

http://www.hearinglossboston.org/calend ... theater-4/
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

It's actually open captioning, because they are displayed to everyone. Close captioning means that one can only see the captions if they are turned on, such as in a TV set.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

LiamM wrote:It's actually open captioning, because they are displayed to everyone. Close captioning means that one can only see the captions if they are turned on, such as in a TV set.
I stand corrected.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I like anything about live theatre that is written by Mark Shenton. This seems an appropriate thread in which to introduce this discussion, as the Wheelock cast is as diverse as I have seen in any US production of BETM, although Mark focuses on past UK productions, and the UK Tour:
The population in Easington, where Billy Elliot is set, was 99.2% white in the 2001 census (in 1981, when the show is set, it may have been higher); yet the show has always turned a blind eye to the ethnicity of the young actor in the title role – the fifth was Matthew Koon (now with Northern Ballet) and the sixth was Leyton Williams (now playing Angel in the tour of Rent). The tour has two non-white performers among its Billys. More to the point, his family and the older, adult Billy remain the same actors, regardless. So something that is absolutely rooted in a specific time and place uses colour-blind casting in its lead role – and audiences don’t bat an eyelid.
https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2017 ... -sixpence/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I've always felt that the color-blind casting for "Billy Elliot" wasn't done so much as to be purposely diverse, but rather was a necessity due to the difficulty in finding a child the right age who has the talent to play Billy. We fans of the show know how difficult it is to find a child capable of carrying a professional production at the age of 11, 12 or 13 who is a skilled dancer, actor, and can carry a tune. I feel like - at least in the West End and Broadway productions - that they found the most qualified child with the talent needed to play the part, whether he be white, black, Hispanic, or Asian. Requiring that they be a specific race, hair color, etc. would make the difficult task of finding Billys even harder.

In reading Mark Shenton's article, it almost sounds like he wants casts to be diverse just for the sake of being diverse. Not sure if I agree with him on that, as it sounds like political correctness run amok. It reminds me a little of a teachers' conference I attended a number of years ago about understanding students of various racial backgrounds. The speaker opened her talk by looking at the group of teachers in attendance and saying, "I was kind of expecting a little more diversity here today. That concerns me." We all looked at each other in bewilderment, thinking, "Gee, sorry to disappoint you that we're all white."

I feel like if a director wants to aim for historical accuracy - in the case of a period piece - then they should be allowed to cast the actors that way . .. just as the producers of "Hamilton" should be allowed to intentionally cast actors with a different ethnicity than the historical figures they're portraying, if they so choose.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This interview took place this morning, on Boston's WGBH:

http://news.wgbh.org/2017/02/09/arts/ar ... tman-movie
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

In the wake of the big snow storm that hit the northeast, they are offering special $15 "snow day seats" for tonight's performance.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... 992f5d270b
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

CJ-Rochester wrote:In the wake of the big snow storm that hit the northeast, they are offering special $15 "snow day seats" for tonight's performance.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... 992f5d270b
It is a stunningly sunny day, though cold, and the roads should be clear heading into Beantown. I will certainly be there for this show!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Worcester woman makes mark on Wheelock's 'Billy Elliot'
http://www.telegram.com/entertainmentli ... lly-elliot
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Shane Boucher as Michael,
What caught our eye: In the Wheelock Family Theatre’s production of “Billy Elliot,” Boucher plays Michael, Billy’s friend. When Boucher and Seth Judice (Billy) perform “Expressing Yourself,” they deliver show-stopping tap moves while making the audience feel they are just two friends goofing off.

Lightbulb moment: “I always knew I wanted to perform and used to sing and dance along to movie musicals such as ‘Hairspray’ in our living room. When I saw ‘Billy Elliot’ at the North Shore Music Theatre [in 2015], I was inspired by the message of the story: ‘Everyone is different and unique in their own way!’ and ‘Follow your dreams!’ ”

Biggest thrill: “My biggest thrill is working with a cast that is reaching for a common goal. I believe theater people are some of the most hardworking and loving people you will ever meet. When we take our final company bow together, I believe that is the most magical moment. And I can’t believe I’m performing in Boston! I am also understudying the role of Billy. I have gone in twice when he was sick and will go in a few more times before the end of the run. It was really exciting. I’m not a gymnast, so I can’t do some of those moves he does, but I did every other part of the choreography.”

Inspired by: “My teachers at the New London Barn [Playhouse] and the Palace Theatre in Manchester [where he first played Michael] have helped to push me and further my skills. They include Josh Feder, Katie Siegmund, Carl Rajotte, and Angela Tarleton.”

For good luck: “I am not a superstitious person. I believe every performance is different and that my focus and energy can affect my performance.’’

What people should know: “I like to spend time on Lake Sunapee in the summer and ski at Mount Sunapee in the winter.”

Coming soon: He has no shows immediately lined up after “Billy Elliot” closes on Feb. 26, which is probably a good thing for now. “I have to catch up on my schoolwork! I’m a freshman at Kearsarge Regional High School, and I’ve been doing a lot of work online. My teachers have been great, but I will have a pile of work to get through when I’m back.”

Links: http://www.wheelockfamilytheatre.org
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/0 ... story.html

Return to “Wheelock Family Theatre, Boston, MA 01/27/2017 to 02/26/2017”