Opening Night? (to the Public)

Zimn
Audience Member

Opening Night? (to the Public)

Post by Zimn »

Does anyone have any reliable information on when opening night in Chicago will be? I've heard March 18th from multiple sources (although some websites are selling tickets as early as March 2nd - which really confuses the heck out of me). Also, I wonder if March 18th is the opening night for invitation only or if that's the first public performance. As Chicago is a only 6 or 7 hours from me, it would be easy to make it there for that show. I'd be curious to see if any hoopla is planned for first performance open to the public.

I really want to see a special show - I don't think I have the financial means to hop across the pond for the 5th Birthday show in London :-(
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opening Night? (to the Public)

Post by ERinVA »

Zimn wrote:Does anyone have any reliable information on when opening night in Chicago will be? I've heard March 18th from multiple sources (although some websites are selling tickets as early as March 2nd - which really confuses the heck out of me). Also, I wonder if March 18th is the opening night for invitation only or if that's the first public performance. As Chicago is a only 6 or 7 hours from me, it would be easy to make it there for that show. I'd be curious to see if any hoopla is planned for first performance open to the public.

I really want to see a special show - I don't think I have the financial means to hop across the pond for the 5th Birthday show in London :-(
I believe that the 18th will be the first preview. If it's anything like what happened in NY, the actual formal Opening Night will probably not be available to the public. But I have never had any experience with how productions in Chicago open, so I could be completely wrong. It's confusing. I wish there was a performance calendar similar to the one that was available for NY that showed when the actual Opening Night was going to be.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Zimn
Audience Member

Post by Zimn »

I found some information online stating that previews would be from March 18th to something ridiculous like April 20th. But surely they aren't going to do a month of invitation-only previews? Or even a month of previews open to the public? I suppose I'll have to place a call into Oriental Theatre one of these days to find out for sure. I'll let you know what I find out.
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Zimn wrote:I found some information online stating that previews would be from March 18th to something ridiculous like April 20th. But surely they aren't going to do a month of invitation-only previews? Or even a month of previews open to the public? I suppose I'll have to place a call into Oriental Theatre one of these days to find out for sure. I'll let you know what I find out.
There is usually a month of open to the public previews, at full face value for the tickets.
The opening preview is exciting as is the official opening night. The competition for tickets to the previews elsewhere ha been just as fierce as for tickets to the actual season.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

According to a friend who called the group booking line, March 18 is the first preview. Press Night will be Sunday, April 11, and Opening Night will be the following Tuesday, April 13.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Zimn
Audience Member

Post by Zimn »

ERinVA wrote:According to a friend who called the group booking line, March 18 is the first preview. Press Night will be Sunday, April 11, and Opening Night will be the following Tuesday, April 13.
Since I'm largely ignorant of such things, I need a bit of explanation :?. Am I correct in thinking that preview nights will not be invitation only, but will have tickets available to purchase to the general public (perhaps at a reduced price)? I assume the 11th and 13th of April will be private showings and tickets won't be available to the general public?

If that's correct, I wonder what would be more memorable...attempting to attend the first preview, or trying to get a ticket to the first show available to the general public? I've never been to either, so I haven't the slightest idea of what to expect.

Ahhh, I'm already learning lots of interesting information.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Zimn wrote:Am I correct in thinking that preview nights will not be invitation only, but will have tickets available to purchase to the general public (perhaps at a reduced price)?
Yes, previews will be open to the public. If it's anything like Broadway, preview ticket prices will not be reduced.
Zimn wrote: I wonder what would be more memorable...attempting to attend the first preview, or trying to get a ticket to the first show available to the general public? I've never been to either, so I haven't the slightest idea of what to expect.
Do what I did for Broadway - do both! ;) I found both were memorable. But if I had to choose, I'd do the first preview (or first few previews to catch different Billys), which is what I'll do for Chicago.

Rich
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Rich B wrote:
Zimn wrote:Am I correct in thinking that preview nights will not be invitation only, but will have tickets available to purchase to the general public (perhaps at a reduced price)?
Yes, previews will be open to the public. If it's anything like Broadway, preview ticket prices will not be reduced.
Zimn wrote: I wonder what would be more memorable...attempting to attend the first preview, or trying to get a ticket to the first show available to the general public? I've never been to either, so I haven't the slightest idea of what to expect.
Do what I did for Broadway - do both! ;) I found both were memorable. But if I had to choose, I'd do the first preview (or first few previews to catch different Billys), which is what I'll do for Chicago.

Rich
But Rich, you also need to clarify that although many forum members were present to soak up the atmosphere of Opening Night, they did not actually get to see the show. The theatre was mostly occupied by the cast's families and celebrities. I don't know if this will be true of Chicago on Opening Night or not, but I suspect it may well be similar.
Ellen

Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Yes, you're right but he was asking about the first show available to the general public, which, in Broadways case was Nov 14th, the night after the 'official' opening night. Maybe that's not what he meant. :oops:

Zimn - have we totally confused you? :lol:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Now I'm confused. :? Previews were available to the general public, not just groups, and not by invitation only. Or do you mean the first "regular" show? In any case, it was Opening Night that was by invitation. Everything else, during previews and after Opening Night, was on sale to the public.
Ellen

Return to “Archive”