When will a Billy return as older Billy

andrewcraig
Tony

When will a Billy return as older Billy

Post by andrewcraig »

We have had small boy become a Michael and a Michael progress to become Billy.

But now our original Billys are close to being men. I think it would be a blast if a former ballet Billy say Liam was invited back to be older Billy.

There is no age requirement as far as I am aware.
burtond
Michael

Re: When will a Billy return as older Billy

Post by burtond »

In time, there is no reason why the young Billy's couldn't become a Tony or indeed a Dad
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

While I think it would make good press for a former Billy to return to the show in another role (and probably a good promotional tool for the show itself), I don't believe it would be the best decision for the former Billy.

My reasoning is they have been THE STAR of the show. They are all triple threats. None of the roles mentioned in previous posts would best showcase all of their abilities. Yes, Older Billy would put their dance skills on display, but in a limited fashion in one number in the show. Older Billy also is an ensemble member and dances in a pretty much non conspicuous fashion in other numbers too.

The roles of Dad or Tony would give a former Billy no opportunity to dance at all (except in the Finale) and contain limited singing. They are basically acting roles.

No, in my opinion, former Billys would be better served seeking roles that would better showcase their considerable talents.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That's true, but a number of the Billys do aspire to become working actors, and would probably love to have the role of Tony, I think. The one reason I would say that a Billy who wants to become an actor might not want to return to the show in another role is that he might feel it is too familiar and comfortable a place to be, having spent so much time doing the show already, and he wants a different challenge.

By the way, a retired Billy did actually return to work on the show in London, but not as an actor or dancer. That was James Lomas, who worked behind the scenes as a stagehand for some time while he was attending MPA.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Out of all the ex-Billy's I think James Lomas would make the best Tony or Older Billy!

What do others think?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I would love to see James play Tony.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

I'm no expert in ex-Billy's but I do think that James would make an excellent Tony. He would bring out perfectly all that anger that Tony has as a caracter. As for older Billy...I don't think so as James might be an excellent dancer but he was not a ballet Billy.
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

We could send a petition to Mr Daldry!

James Lomas for Tony Elliot please!

....or we could kidnap James from the stage door of 'Dirty Dancing' and bring him to the Victoria Palace, and in the meantime get someone else to tie up Craig Gallivan and Tim Funnell so they can't go on stage! Lol
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Think James would be good as Tony and possibly Liam as an older Billy in the future.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

No, sorry - Barnaby is the one and only older billy for me.
James as Tony - sounds great xx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1

Return to “Archive”