The finale

athadj
Miner

The finale

Post by athadj »

cws8998 wrote: there is one point upon which I wish they would improve. After the final full company individual bows, when the curtain comes down, and then raises again for the singular recognition of Billy, I just wish they would allow the audience the opportunity for a more sustained standing ovation for Billy before he brings the company out for the final time. I also wish they'd give more sustained recognition for the Michaels as well. Just my own thoughts and observation. Regards, Colin [cws8998]
This is a quote from Colin from the Myles Erlick thread. As I didn't want to be completelly off topic I decided to start a new thread 'cos this is something I've thought about since the first time I saw the show.
I completelly agree with what Colin said but didn't know if anyone else felt the same. At the finale there is this moment when the curtain rises and Billy is on his own on stage but that lasts only 1-2 seconds. From what I've noticed the audience wishes to recognise the talent of the boy playing Billy and usually there is a standing ovation but with the whole company onstage it's just not the same. Don't get me wrong. I fully apreciate each and every member of the cast, but let's face it: It is Billy that's the star of this show and it's this 12, 13, 14 year old boy that has been acting, singing and dancing his heart out for the past 3 hours at one of the most demanding musical parts out there! It is my opinion that he deserves a few seconds to enjoy a fully deserved standing ovation all on his own.
Same also for Michael who gets almost no recognition at all at the finale bowing with everyone else. He should get at least his own moment like Dad Mrs Wilkinson and Grandma do.
I have only seen the London production but from Colin's comments I get that it's the same all over.
I'd love to hear if anyone else has an opinion on this and apologise if it has been mentioned before.
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The finale

Post by ERinVA »

Michael and Debbie both get more than they originally did during the finale in the early days of the London show. Now they do get to stop and bow, and Debbie pushes Michael out of the way while he is bowing in order to get one in for herself. This was not always the case. At first they didn't get recognized individually at all.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Yes it is a pity that they don't get a bit more recognition in the finale but I think its down to timing as I know that the youngsters have to be out, by law,of the theatre I think by 10-30pm on evening performances. After working back stage I know you don't half run to a tight schedule at times. Going back a few years now, we had 2 houses per night all summer with Ken Dodd and had to vary the 2nd house to get the "Diddymen" off stage and away from the theatre.

Barry
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Barry Appleby wrote:Hi
I know that the youngsters have to be out, by law,of the theatre I think by 10-30pm on evening performances.
So they could still give them more recognition on Broadway, where no such laws exist. I wish they would consider doing that.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Barry Appleby wrote:Hi
Yes it is a pity that they don't get a bit more recognition in the finale but I think its down to timing as I know that the youngsters have to be out, by law,of the theatre I think by 10-30pm on evening performances.
I think it is 11pm except for Small Boy who has to leave earlier.
But I could be wrong.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I do like how - on Broadway - Billy does seem to get his "moment in the sun" when the curtain comes up and he's standing there illuminated by the "Billy" sign in lights behind him. I wish they would do that in the other productions as well, as it's a classy - and flashy - touch which does seem to give him more time on stage by himself to soak up the applause.

See the photo here as an example, which is one I was able to take at Trent Kowalik's final performance earlier this year: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/ga ... fullsize=1

Return to “Archive”