The next X000th Performance.....

AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

The next X000th Performance.....

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Simply based on Porscherules excellent calculations thus far, are there any plans afoot for the 2000th performance which may be the Friday April 29th show (sorry if I got my maths wrong and there may be additional shows around Feb half term and Easter). Was there a celebration for 1000?

Alex
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

2000th Performance

Post by Born to Boogie »

I think the 2000th show must have been and gone. If there were 415 performances in 2010 alone there must have been more than 1864 shows in total at the VP since the show opened in 2005. I think we're currently up to something like 2400 including previews (based on 5 years and 9.5 months at approx 415 shows per year).

The 1000th show was in the evening of Thursday 4th October 2007 and was performed by Layton Williams, Shaun Malone and Leyci Wightman - except for the finale which was performed by Dean McCarthy as his final performance following absence from the show due to injury for a while. There was the usual 'special show' intro speech at the start and then the show as normal apart from Dean performing the finale instead of Layton - and a cake if I remember correctly. There was also a cup cake given to each member of the audience as they left the theatre.

This was also the show where they filmed a short interview with Lee Hall and David Furnish for the BBC's 'One Show' before the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd937Vt1LQo

The audience were allowed into their seats to watch this if they were there early enough - and I remember it to be an interesting 'extra' surprise that evening!

To be certain when an anniversary show will be, consideration needs to be made as to whether previews will count or not. Someone may recall whether the 1000th show date of 4/8/2007 included previews or not. Predicting dates has never been easy due to the issue of whether preview shows 'count' or not - and the production company have moved the goalposts on that issue over time too.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tracking Billy Elliot London 2010

Post by porschesrule »

Born to Boogie wrote:I think the 2000th show must have been and gone. If there were 415 performances in 2010 alone there must have been more than 1864 shows in total at the VP since the show opened in 2005. I think we're currently coming up to something like 2400 by the end of January.
You are correct, Born to Boogie. The date for the 1000th show that I was operating under as a base number was October, 4 2008 -- a year later than it actually was. The article I used to determine the date had no year associated with it, just October 4. I knew that Layton did the 1000th show and thought I had read somewhere that at the time he was the senior Billy. As his final show was November 20, 2008, I must have presumed the year was 2008.

In doing some further research, I have found that the 1700th performance co-incided with the show's 4th birthday and Ollie Gardner's debut on May 12, 2009:

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/articl ... t_20090512

Using that number as the base then, I have recalculated the numbers and changed the total performances for London as of December 31, 2010 to 2382.

My apologies for the misinformation.

As an aside though, in the case of the Broadway show, the previews are not being counted when determining the milestone shows (and therefore for the Broadway information I am showing two counts for that reason), so I would presume that would be the case for the London production as well. Also, since I could find no articles on the web (including on the BETM London official site) that mention the 1500th or 2000th performances, I wouldn't be expecting any sort of celebration for the 2500th.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

porschesrule wrote: As an aside though, in the case of the Broadway show, the previews are not being counted when determining the milestone shows. (and not from the Broadway information I am showing two counts for that reason), so I would presume that would be the case for the London production as well.
In London the key date for the yearly anniversary was 12th May (which doesn't take into account previews) but was moved to 31st March (which does take account of previews) for the 5th Anniversary. This year it looks as if things are moving back to 12th May again. I remember at the time there being a big debate about when the 1000th show would be and whether previews would count or not. I couldn't remember earlier whether they did or not - but doing the maths makes it pretty clear that they didn't and that a start date of 12th May was used to determine the 1000th show.

PS - many thanks porschesrule for all your work keeping the 'tracking' threads so up to date and informative. I find them a really useful and interesting resource and I'm sure that other members do to.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Just a final note about this recalculation...

Based on the revised year end 2010 count, the next milestone, the 2500th show in London, would be the 7:30pm show on Tuesday, April 12, 2011. I'll also post this in the 2011 thread for those who may be interested in attending. As was mentioned previously, as there was no celebration on the 1500th and 2000th performance dates, chances are there will be nothing special on April 12th date.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

porschesrule wrote:Just a final note about this recalculation...

Based on the revised year end 2010 count, the next milestone, the 2500th show in London, would be the 7:30pm show on Tuesday, April 12, 2011. I'll also post this in the 2011 thread for those who may be interested in attending. As was mentioned previously, as there was no celebration on the 1500th and 2000th performance data, chances are there will be nothing special on April 12th date.
Won't it be Wednesday 13th April at 7.30pm?

If there have been 2382 shows to the end of December 2010 and 18 shows so far in January (to 15th January, using the stats from the tracking thread) that means we are looking for the 100th show in future from Monday 17th Jan. Counting through the shows available on the VP website the 100th show they are selling tickets for starting with Monday 17th Jan is Wednesday 13th April at 7.30pm.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Born to Boogie wrote:Won't it be Wednesday 13th April at 7.30pm?
Correct again. Time to put my slide rule away, I guess.

When I went back and rechecked my numbers, I was originally showing 34 shows in February, when it should have been 33, thus arriving at 2500 one day earlier than the date of the milestone performance.

Here's how the the calculation is arrived at:

2382 = Year end 2010 performances
35 = Jan. performances -- Total as of Jan. 31 = 2417
33 = Feb. performances -- Total as of Feb. 28 = 2450
36 = Mar. performances -- Total as of Mar. 31 = 2486
14 = Apr. performances -- Total as of April 13 = 2500

Return to “Archive”