Billy Dreams / Salary

Mingo
Audience Member

Billy Dreams / Salary

Post by Mingo »

No, I'm not dreaming of being Billy. Last night I actually dreamed the entire show, scene by scene. I don't know all the lines, but in my dream I somehow did! :D I even talked to the people sitting next to me. We were on Broadway and Giuseppe was on (Maybe this is in the future?) One of the people next to me was a Forum Admin and had a very interesting life! The person on my other side had never seen the show, and of course, LOVED IT!

I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen this show enough to know it line by line, and that's impressive! Props to all of you. I'll try to dream up seeing it some more times so I can be on the same level! :D

My question is this: do the Billy's get paid? I searched the Forum and didn't find a post but if there is one please redirect me and I apologize. At first I thought, no they are living their dream they must not get paid, but then I thought of child actors, etc. I was just curious.

Thanks in advance,
Mingo
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Billy Dreams / Salary

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, of course the Billys get paid. They are professional actors and have contracts just like all professional performers do. The situation is different in the UK and the US, of course, as there is no Billy House in the US as there is in London, where the Billys, Michaels and Debbies are housed under the care of house parents. But this makes it all the more imperative that the US Billys (and indeed all the kids in the NY show) earn a wage that will allow their families to rent an apartment in NY and have a family member or guardian there to live with and look after the child. All the child cast members in the touring company have family members that travel with them. Believe me, it takes a huge commitment from the families to make it possible for their kids to "live the dream," and they couldn't do it without reasonable financial compensation.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

Yes they get paid, and without specifically saying how much (although if you really looked you could find a rough number) they do get paid a reasonable salary. They sign an Equity contract. Especially on Broadway all performers must be union. Therefore they get union minimum negotiated wages. By no means will they become rich off the show, however they are making more than most anyone else their age. negotiated union wages are kept a fairly tightly guarded secret by the union members. However minimums are well known amongst the community. As of 2009 the on Broadway minimum wage for an actor was 1,600, along with heath insurance and contribution to retirement. However to clarify in order to qualify for health insurance you have to work a minimum amount of weeks in a given year. And you have to pair yearly dues.

In addition touring shows get a per diem on top of their salary, however the minimum for a touring production is about a third that of an on Broadway production.

You might find the Equity Document library enlightening. It basically outlines everything from contracts to working conditions, etc. http://www.actorsequity.org/library/library_home.asp
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

booth088 wrote:In addition touring shows get a per diem on top of their salary, however the minimum for a touring production is about a third that of an on Broadway production.
Interesting. I would have thought they would be paid the same whether they were performing on Broadway or on a touring production. Seems kind of strange since they put in the same amount of rehearsal time and the actual performance of the show takes the same amount of work whether it's in New York or in another city.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Todd wrote:Interesting. I would have thought they would be paid the same whether they were performing on Broadway or on a touring production. Seems kind of strange since they put in the same amount of rehearsal time and the actual performance of the show takes the same amount of work whether it's in New York or in another city.
In a way, they are being paid an equivalent amount in that when you consider the per diem and travel related expenses (lodging, transportation, food, etc) paid by the company, which a Broadway actor doesn't receive (all personal expenses being out of pocket for them), it's roughly a wash.
Mingo
Audience Member

Post by Mingo »

Thank you for the information! Like I said, I figured they did, but just wanted to ask. I am writing a novel for my english class about kids in Billy Elliot (fiction) and it's important to have the details right!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I remember seeing some ads for Billy auditions in which salaries were quoted......I am sure a Google search would give some insight into this.

If the touring cast are paid higher than those on Broadway it would make sense...they have to make a huge commitment through the very nature of their transient life. Many have parents and other family traveling with them and I am sure this all has to be equitably paid for.....having said that if I were in charge of the touring cast I would be as generous as possible to keep everyone safe, happy, healthy and well educated - things which are less pressing when performing in one theatre.

It would be very interesting to read an article from someone like Giuseppe, Daniel, or soon J P Viernes, who have experienced both the tour and a 'fixed' theatre, to see how life compares between the two.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

I'm going to clarify the touring cast does not get paid more. For example equity minimum for touring productions are roughly a third of what the minimum of Broadway is. The minimum for touring is similar to a large regional theatre (for example the Guthrie in Minneapolis). The per diem is fairly minimal however it does cover some incidentals and meals. Housing at least as far as the Billy Elliot touring cast is concerned is taken care of by the company. The hotels aren't 5 star by any means, however I was told that the hotel in Dallas right now is quite nice.

My disclaimer: Obviously salaries vary. There is a wide range of actual salaries of professional actors, I was just talking minimums. However, if you do work all year (which is rare unless your doing a show with a long contract or a run of the show contract) you do make a living wage at minimum.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

In Denver they stayed at one of those extended stay places. Quite nice too with a full kitchen in each unit. About $150-$190 per night depending on a unit's size.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

I agree as well.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)

Return to “Archive”