It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC


Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Forum Rules



Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 am 
Ballet Girl
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 262
Could not agree any more Keefy, I have always done what my heart tells me to do, and if that means being bad mannered and rude, then so be it.

For Ryan’s stunning performance tonight, there where 100's of rude and bad mannered people standing after his amazing Electricity ;)

Your absolutely right dancingboy, Ryan did say thank you. I was in A10 and heard him say it!

Ryan was loving the extended standing ovation.

_________________
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”


W. M. Tory


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:14 am 
Dad

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 am
Posts: 1645
Location: Kansas City, USA
Interesting and spirited debate here ! I've never thought of a standing ovation as being bad manners. It's not like you're continuing to stand when the show resumes after the applause ends.

The only argument I've heard against standing ovations is that they can lose their significance if they become commonplace. I believe they should be reserved for a performance "above and beyond" the norm, which one could argue that each Billy does every show, given the level of difficulty of the part and the age of the actor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 am 
Miner

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:46 am
Posts: 413
Location: Suffolk Coast
Keefy said:
I’m in the opposite camp

Let's hope nobody gets called a scab for crossing the picket line then! (in either direction) :lol:

Yesterday was 5th November wasn't it? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 am 
Billy

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 pm
Posts: 6808
Westletonion wrote:
Keefy said:
I’m in the opposite camp

Let's hope nobody gets called a scab for crossing the picket line then! (in either direction) :lol:

Yesterday was 5th November wasn't it? ;)


It was. And I named the Guy on our village bonfire 'Maggie'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 am 
Miner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Posts: 372
Location: God's own County
kport wrote:
It was. And I named the Guy on our village bonfire 'Maggie'.


Nice one :lol: If only I was religious I'd take great comfort in thinking of MT spending eternity in a fiery Hell.........

_________________
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 am 
Michael

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 2130
ha-ha, cheers Westletonion, about the "I'm in the opposite camp". I'm glad I checked this line before I posted my 'rant' on the previous page, because when I checked it, the words "in the opposite" were missing and it read "i'm camp", which would have put a whole different perspective on things (haha). Think I have been watching too much Dick Emery lately, although I'm sure burtond would argue that the "i'm camp" is probably correct (haha).

Anyway, let's hope nobody does get called a scab in either direction on this, and as I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect others opinions, but I 'rant' because I have always hated completely pointless nonsense arguments like this about something that shouldn't be an issue when there are more pressing issues going on, and more importantly I 'rant' because I'm passionate about the show and supporting the kids and all the cast in the same way I have done for the past 6 and a half years at Billy and will continue to do so for as long as Billy runs at the VP.

As said above about the show on Saturday evening, we had another example of why the 'only standing on special nights and not standing because it blocks people's views' argument is nonsense, because Ryan was smiling away and absolutely loving it and did indeed say "thank you" to the hundreds of people who stood for his Electricity (as Paul has said, there were 100's of decent people, oh sorry, I mean rude and bad mannered people standing after his amazing Street Electricity, I wonder how long it would have took to go round them all and tell them to sit down ? - bloody hell, just realised, there must be thousands of bad mannered people that have been at the VP in the last 6 years from all those people that have stood for Electricity or indeed that have gave ovations in Musical Theatre shows in the last 100 years at the VP as it celebrates its birthday.

I remember seeing Jolson and Barnum at the VP years ago and there were quite a few standing ovations during those shows, as well as at the end, so I take it they were all rude and bad mannered people as well then, because they stood up in a Theatre during a show and weren't at a Pop Concert.

I was sitting next to Paul and could quite clearly hear Ryan say "thank you" to those standing, and yes, Paul and I did stand up as did the people in Row B behind, but, shock!, horror! the people in Row B standing up 'blocked the view' of those in Row C who had paid for dearer seats (oh, what a friggin' shame!) I take it is ok for the people in the £95 seats to stand, since they have paid for a dearer ticket even though they are blocking those in rows M-V behind who have paid less, i.e. what is the difference between those in the front row who have paid £19.50 blocking those who have paid for dearer seats, than those who have paid for £95 seats blocking those behind in cheaper seats ?.
Therefore, is it ok then for those £95 folk to stand because they have paid an extortionate amount for a seat compared to others ?. So the argument that people who have paid for cheap seats shouldn't stand because it blocks people who have paid for dearer seats is pointless because it also works the other way round i.e. dearer blocking cheaper.

I take it all the parties of school kids and their teachers from the previous and current Billys schools who stood up and gave an ovation to one of their own pupils for his efforts, were all rude and bad mannered as well then, along with all the Billy/Michael/Debbie Families and Friends along with the friends and families of the Cast/Production staff/Front of House Staff etc that have stood up in the last 6 years are all rude and bad mannered for giving an Electricity Standing Ovation in normal shows.

Ryan's standing ovation last night wasn't led by us regulars who stand often (not always), but by other members of the audience, then we stood. As the prolonged applause went on and on for Ryan, more and more people stood and as I looked around the theatre there were 100's of people standing in all sections.
If the applause had gone on for a little bit longer then it would have been a full house standing ovation - so yet more evidence that standing ovations after Electricity on normal shows are justified and also proof that almost full house standing ovations are not just reserved for special/first/last nights. Well done to all the audience who stood and for their very appreciative and lively support of Ryan and all the cast.

More importantly, what I forgot to mention in my 'rant' on the previous page is that Ryan has on two previous occasions while standing taking his applause after Electricity, said "i'm lovin' this" meaning he is loving the standing ovation from the few regulars on the first occasion and the regulars and 100's of audience members standing on the second occasion and also did a thumbs up to the audience on both occasions. He has also done many approving nods to the audience since he started in Billy for giving him standing ovations and prolonged applause at the end of his Electricity performances, and he is not the only one of the current or previous Billys that has done that.
The "i'm lovin' this" comment alone from Ryan proves that the kids do appreciate and love the standing ovations and also proves the argument that standing ovations 'should only be given on special nights', is complete nonsense.

What I also forgot to ask, is since when has it been unacceptable to give standing ovations during Musical Theatre shows and that they should only be reserved for Pop Concerts - did I miss something, was there a law passed banning Standing Ovations in Musical Theatre ?.
Yet another reason why I'm angry because I have never heard such bloody nonsense in all my life. The arguments for not standing up during normal shows, are to me rather pompous and old fashioned.

I take it then that the 1000's of people that stood last year for Perth Theatre's production of Annie which my cousin was in, shouldn't have stood up to give an ovation after the girl playing Annie sang "Tomorrow", which occurs in Annie about the same time Electricity does in Billy. Therefore were those 100's of people in Perth that stood night after night, rude and bad mannered because they gave a standing ovation to a 13 year old girl during a Musical Theatre show and not at a Pop Concert ?.

The simple fact is, that the majority of people find the 'blocking people' and not standing argument 'laughable' as was evident last night, because as said in my previous rant, the kids and parents appreciate the ovations and we know that for a fact, which therefore makes the argument that the ovations shouldn't happen, laughable and redundant.
More importantly, a standing ovation in Musical Theatre during a show is not bad manners, especially at Billy, thanks to the 'they all love it' hard evidence from the kids and parents.

Talking of 'bad manners and rudeness' in Theatre, we had quite a few examples of what actually constitutes bad manners in Theatre at the VP last night.
The bloke sitting to the right of me spent most of his evening playing on his mobile phone, including playing some car racing game, people behind kept talking loudly during the show, people kept cheering too loudly with over the top "woos", some people took photographs when they were not allowed and worst of all, we had another Foghorn Leghorn/Cackling Hen loud laugher who at times reduced Ryan, Connor and various members of the cast to giggles, but they all managed to hold it together.
This silly loud laugher woman (who obviously had a few before the show) was bloody annoying at times and also inappropriately shouted out a few times during the show, including "gaun yersel" to Ashley Andrews Scottish Ballet Dancer and then "C'mon" to Billy when he takes a while to open the RBS letter.

Therefore to me and others, that's what constitutes ' bad manners and rudeness in Theatre': shouting out, loud laughing, playing on mobiles, mobiles going off, people having a pringles & crisp pack picnic who seem to be going for the world record in constantly making noise, idiots shouting out "yes" in the silence after Billy asks Dad about the money "Can we use it Dad?", as some moron did last week, people clapping inappropriately, people laughing and making noise during silences and quieter scenes like The Letter and people generally moaning at others and dictating to others, when they have no bloody right to do so. That is bad manners in Theatre, not a bloody standing ovation especially for Children.

Also the main reason I see nothing wrong with standing up and giving an ovation is because in the 1000's of Theatre shows I have seen in the UK and across the world in the last 30 years whether plays or musicals, not once have I, any member of my family or any of my friends, ever been told to sit down by someone because we blocked their view by giving a standing ovation.

There were fireworks after the show last night from the roof of the shops and flats opposite the VP in Allington Street, which seemed a rather fitting tribute and perfect end to the performance from all the cast and the performance from Ryan as he was so bloody fantastic last night that we all had a toast in the pub afterwards to his performance and we also had a toast to Electricity standing ovations. A great evening with great company and another great show in the history of BETM, and looking forward to many more shows and many more standing ovations. After all, I have been doing it for 6 and a half years and almost 400 shows, and I certainly do not intend to stop standing now or anytime in the future, whether anyone else likes it or not.

It also seemed rather appropriate that it was Fireworks night as there have been plenty 'fireworks' coming out of Keefy in the last few days over this. Kport said above that he named the Guy on the Village Bonfire 'Maggie'. I bet after my previous post and this post, there were a few 'Guy's named Keefy on the bonfire last night and no doubt tonight. But as I said, I couldn't give a hoot what anyone thinks, that is my opinion and this 'only standing for Electricity on special occasions and not blocking others' is something that I feel very strongly about, especially since it is complete and utter nonsense and a non issue.

BTW, thanks to all those above for your supportive comments, as well as those who sent many comments by Facebook message, emails and other PM's all agreeing with me. Special thanks to Yorkie for his post above as your "But I've now seen the error of my ways. Keefy, your in depth and passionate response has convinced me. If I'm the only one to do it in that particular show then sod it. I'll be standing more", as this comment really made my night Yorkie when I read it on my phone in the pub last night, so thank you.


Cheers
Keefy (still Mr Angry).
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:20 pm 
Mrs Wilkinson
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 pm
Posts: 1403
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Goodness gracious me. Two diatribes in this Forum in less than 24 hours. Who’d a thunk it.

The silent majority will, of course, always be outshouted by the vociferous few but that’s life.

Nevertheless, diatribes, even those full of arrogance, boasts, constant repetitiveness and self-assuring nonsense in almost every sentence (and with their authors frantically looking to Forums and Facebook to drum up support), are always a highly entertaining read so, as someone here often says, "keep ‘em coming".

Pat (not a bit angry, very calm and lovin’ it)
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:37 pm 
Miner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Posts: 372
Location: God's own County
burtond wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
(which is a little difficult as I'm a fair match for Mr Burton)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJdoTQCcvg


Cheeky Yorkie ! :D


;) Ahh, I know your broad Northern shoulders can take it big man :lol:

_________________
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:38 pm 
Michael

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Thanks Pat, as I said, I respect your opinions and views and I respect you and others as people, even though I’m rather arrogantly disagreeing with a point, but believe me I do respect your opinion and the views of others. I also agreed and still agree with you about 'people' standing too far forward at ovations, but I have tried and tried to get them 'back a bit', to no avail, so we aren't going to get anywhere there.
I have 'ranted' because I'm passionate about the show and this is the first time in my 30 years of going to the theatre I have ever head anything like this and it is rather surprising, especially coming from very intelligent people and great supporters of the show. Therefore the ‘not standing for Electricity debate, reigniting this week, annoyed me and I had to ‘get it out’ by writing it all down’.
It annoyed me the first time we all ‘debated’ about it and I didn’t say anything, but had to get my ‘view’ out this time as it has ‘bothered’ me since the time this thread was created specifically for this debate.

I fully appreciate your comments above, I agree, my two ‘diatribes’ are full of arrogance, boasts, repetitiveness etc. The repetitiveness doesn’t surprise me, as this has always been pointed out to me in life when I’m angry and having a rant, especially my repetitiveness in written down form like above or in emails etc. On reading my 'rants' back, it doesn’t surprise me that they are full of spelling mistakes and grammar errors either, as I just tend to ‘go for it’ when having a rant.

So I'm certainly not upset or surprised by your comments above about me, for the simple reason, that they are true and I agree.
I’m not going to try and deny it or defend myself when it is there in black and white over two diatribes for everyone to see.
I can take it on the chin as I’ve had much worse (I didn’t ‘boast’ about ‘pissing a few people off along the way‘ for nothing - lets just say Keefy has a good number of friends, but a greater number of enemies).

The only point I disagree with is the ‘self-assuring nonsense’ as I know that my self-assuring nonsense in my 'rants' is true (especially about friends, family and the Billy parents and Billys quotes), whether anyone else believes it or not, then it is up to them and I certainly can be self-assured that my parents next week will be standing for all Electricity performances as will my Billy friends and many non Billy friends from around the world coming to see Billy and other shows in the next week or so. I can also be self-assured that I know exactly what friends, family, work colleagues etc think of this situation, who are less vocal than me.

I said in one of my ‘boasts’ that my “arrogance in my career and life has been helpful and not a hindrance”, because it is true and therefore that is just Keefy, as I’m a nice guy but also an arrogant and selfish bugger and get wound up easily over things no matter how serious or trivial. Pat, I’m the type of person who gets excited and worked up if there isn’t a pattern on my kitchen roll.

I always have been and always will be a bit of an arrogant sod – even me mother has a go at me about it all the time and my infamous shouting, swearing and ‘rants’. I suppose my ‘arrogance’ also stems from the fact that in dealing day to day with silly celebs and their egos(sorry, I know I’m going on again), that I have to be ‘more arrogant’ than the celebs to take them and their egos down a peg or two, by doing a lot of shouting, swearing and telling them like it is, and therefore tend to 'carry this arrogance' outside of work.
I suppose I have also had these rants this weekend because I'm stressed out as hell at the moment in preparing for children in need with deadlines all looming and being missed. Yes that is just an excuse, but a very true excuse, and I'm not trying to 'boast' again here about Children in Need, just stating the facts.

Also, just to re-emphaise, I haven’t been looking to Facebook, Forum PMs or emails for support, as those messages actually came to me after my first ’rant’, rather than me asking for them, and in all honesty, not every single one of them agrees with my point of view including a few Facebook messages along the lines of “keefy you are talking complete nonsense, not anyone else” and "keith why don't you get a life" so they aren’t all in my favour and I’m certainly not looking to drum up support from anyone whether it be on here, via PM,s Facebook etc, as my 'rants' are simply my view and I'm quite happy to be on my own about it.

It is very simple how it works with Keefy, I’m a nice guy and try and get on with everyone, but piss me off and annoy me, and you will bloody well know about it, You take it or leave it with me. Either way, I couldn’t give a toss as I have more important things in life to worry about as we all do rather than worrying about standing ovations after Electricity etc.

I only rant because I care, I care about Forum members, I'm passionate about the show, about Musical Theatre and more importantly, I want everyone to enjoy themselves, have a great time and all get on, which is why even though we all have 'differing opinions', I respect the views and opinions of others, even though it might not seem like it at times, especially in my 'rants', but I have to put my 'two pennies worth' in and get it out my system.

Anyway, lets all enjoy the special night next Saturday (they'll be plenty Dean last night Badges etc that we have done, for everyone to get one if they so wish) and keep supporting the show we all love and lets just move on, because as I do say 'keep them coming folks', but I think we should keep the reviews of the show coming instead and forget about bloody standing ovations etc.

Cheers
Keefy (not Angry anymore, and also lovin' it, as I do like a good argument and rant, but now that I have done that, I'm off to Sainsburys to buy some 'patterned kitchen roll', before I kick-off again(haha).

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing ovations after Electricity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 pm 
Miner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Posts: 372
Location: God's own County
KeefyM wrote:
Keefy (not Angry anymore, and also lovin' it, as I do like a good argument and rant, but now that I have done that, I'm off to Sainsburys to buy some 'patterned kitchen roll', before I kick-off again(haha). :D


Patterned kitchen roll? Now THAT is camp :lol: Sadly I won't be there next Saturday (I know, I know - call myself a fan :( ) but I shall try and work out the time that electricity is due to finish and I'll do my own standing ovation in the front room ;)

_________________
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
bmiles v1.1 desgined by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.