In praise of Maggie Thatcher???

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

In praise of Maggie Thatcher???

Post by kport »

I just found this, posted today in 'This is Staffordshire'.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Ma ... story.html

I think the poster forgets that this play is based in an historical setting, and such sentiments expressed in the play were most certainly expressed then...and then some. My answer to him would be this: if you choose to enter the public arena, you are not exempt from criticism, even if you are old. The author of this post goes on to be critical about the last government; therefore he comes across as a bit of a hypocrite, one could conclude.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: In praise of Maggie Thatcher???

Post by kport »

It might be amusing if the song were updated to include a reference to Mr Murdoch!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Actually, I see that the poster of the criticism is a woman named Barbara Lewis.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Quite right, Ellen. Sorry. I had to do several edits to get my post going. I had 'she' in the first attempt and retyped it too fast.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

As already said, the production is only keeping real the situation and feeling of the miners.

Barbara Lewis needs to read up on some history from the 80's
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

If she went to the show, the history is clearly presented in huge signs in the lobby. At least in the US. The UK should jolly well remember it. I do.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

It may (or may not) be a merry Christmas for Maggie Thatcher, as there is a new biopic of her starring Meryl Streep coming out Dec. 16 here in the U.S. (Jan. 6 in the U.K.). Can't really tell from the trailer if it's a positive or negative portrayal of her.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1007029/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Todd wrote:It may (or may not) be a merry Christmas for Maggie Thatcher, as there is a new biopic of her starring Meryl Streep coming out Dec. 16 here in the U.S. (Jan. 6 in the U.K.). Can't really tell from the trailer if it's a positive or negative portrayal of her.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1007029/
I doubt it will be as kind to Maggie as 'The Queen' is to Tony Blair. Or, indeed, as 'The Queen' is toward Her Majesty. (It is too bad John Wells is not around to play Dennis Thatcher!).
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

Like many controversial political figures of the 20th century, Maggie Thatcher has her supporters and her detractors. Here in the USA there are many who think Pres. Ronald Reagan was one of the worst presidents ever; however most believe him to be a great transformative leader whose presidency changed the world for the better. The point of MERRY CHRISTMAS MAGGIE THATCHER is to dramatize the feelings of the miners towards Thatcher at that time in history. It does its job.

Return to “Archive”