It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC


Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Forum Rules



Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm 
Mr Braithwaite

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 am
Posts: 745
Location: Williamstown, NJ
There are many mentions of the inspiration provided by Billy Elliot The Musical to children and adults. But viewing BETM also provides learning. Learning is defined as a change in behavior as a result of experience. By this definition, all the members of this forum have learned from Billy Elliot The Musical.

To show the power of this show, I want to discuss not only how BETM inspires, but how it changes behavior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Billy
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:33 am
Posts: 17597
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
One way it has changed lots of people's behavior is that it has caused them to spend lots of money on tickets, airfares, and hotel rooms. 8-) I certainly fall into that category. :D

_________________
Ellen



"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983


To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 pm 
Billy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:35 am
Posts: 4069
Location: Rochester, NY
ERinVA wrote:
One way it has changed lots of people's behavior is that it has caused them to spend lots of money on tickets, airfares, and hotel rooms. 8-) I certainly fall into that category. :D

Ditto for me, and sometimes bordering on addiction. :roll:

_________________
:/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:25 pm 
Mr Braithwaite

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 am
Posts: 745
Location: Williamstown, NJ
I knew that borderline bankruptcy would be one of the changes brought on by BETM. That alone shows the addictive power of this show. But most of us think that it was worth every penny. It has changed my thoughts every day.

There are many inspirational moments in Billy Elliot The Musical that cause changes in behavior, but my personal learning came from Jackie Elliot's "He Could Shine". Jackie realizes that he alone can make such a difference in his son's life that Jackie can not refuse this one-time chance.

"No one else can give what I can give--- No one else can give what I can give."

As a Flight Instructor, I am often in a position where I alone can provide the knowledge, training, experience and advice that can make a huge difference. My students start in their mid-teens on up. They often lack parental direction and example. They need more than just knowledge.

I also can devote more time to my flight students, where other instructors must fly with more students because of their family's need for money. I can afford to give much needed time to listen and advise.

This is something that we all can do when a young person could use some direction, either towards something positive or away from something negative. Always, always have the time.
Thanks BETM. I think about Jackie Elliot every time that I want someone else to give what only I can give.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 pm 
Debbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 am
Posts: 1036
Location: Rain
ERinVA wrote:
One way it has changed lots of people's behavior is that it has caused them to spend lots of money on tickets, airfares, and hotel rooms. 8-) I certainly fall into that category. :D


:lol:

_________________
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
Billy
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:33 am
Posts: 17597
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
accessmenj wrote:
Thanks BETM. I think about Jackie Elliot every time that I want someone else to do what only I can do.
I think about Mrs. Wilkinson. As a veteran of 30 years in the classroom, I believe there is probably not a teacher alive who cannot relate to her special relationship with Billy. We long term teachers all encounter at least one of our own "Billy Elliots" somewhere along the way in our teaching careers. Since the show, and in fact the movie, did not happen until after I had retired from teaching, I can't say that it changed my behavior toward my students, but if I had seen it during my teaching years, I think it probably would have changed how I related to some of them.

_________________
Ellen



"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983


To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 am 
Billy

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 pm
Posts: 6808
ERinVA wrote:
accessmenj wrote:
Thanks BETM. I think about Jackie Elliot every time that I want someone else to do what only I can do.
I think about Mrs. Wilkinson. As a veteran of 30 years in the classroom, I believe there is probably not a teacher alive who cannot relate to her special relationship with Billy. We long term teachers all encounter at least one of our own "Billy Elliots" somewhere along the way in our teaching careers. Since the show, and in fact the movie, did not happen until after I had retired from teaching, I can't say that it changed my behavior toward my students, but if I had seen it during my teaching years, I think it probably would have changed how I related to some of them.


I agree entirely. With 38 years as a teacher and a Head, I count those pupils who found their way, against the odds, and up against many challenges, as the real success. The bright will survive...it is in their DNA..but there are many who need encouragement to find their way. Those are the ones I remember the most. Strangely, they are the ones who keep in touch.......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 am 
George
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 516
Location: Ontario, Canada
I took up tap dancing because of the show; age 31, never danced before. It is so much fun and is brilliant for fitness.

The show also put me in touch with Thommie Retter and I have had the opportunity to see him in action as a tap teacher. He is as brilliant as a teacher as he is as Mr. B. Watching him has helped me improve how I interact with young people as a Scout leader.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm 
Mr Braithwaite

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 am
Posts: 745
Location: Williamstown, NJ
So Billy Elliot The Musical changes people's spending priorities, changes the attitudes of teachers towards their students, changes people's recreational activities and changes how adults relate to youth.
But I'm sure that there are many other changes of behavior that were inspired by BETM.
Has your attitude and behavior towards teenage boys changed? Do you understand and react differently to a surly tween or teen girl? Are you more tolerant of people who are different and express themselves? Can you sympathise with an agressive union? Could you now be friends with a cigarette-smoking, foul-mouth, strong-willed woman? Have you changed your mind and now think that humans are basically good despite first impressions?
Tell us your story of change, so we can document that Billy Elliot The Musical is more than a story about a boy who wants to dance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How Billy Elliot The Musical Changed Me
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 am 
Small Boy

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 pm
Posts: 75
accessmenj wrote:
So Billy Elliot The Musical changes people's spending priorities, changes the attitudes of teachers towards their students, changes people's recreational activities and changes how adults relate to youth.
But I'm sure that there are many other changes of behavior that were inspired by BETM.
Has your attitude and behavior towards teenage boys changed? Do you understand and react differently to a surly tween or teen girl? Are you more tolerant of people who are different and express themselves? Can you sympathise with an agressive union? Could you now be friends with a cigarette-smoking, foul-mouth, strong-willed woman? Have you changed your mind and now think that humans are basically good despite first impressions?
Tell us your story of change, so we can document that Billy Elliot The Musical is more than a story about a boy who wants to dance.


Actually, billy elliot has changed my prejudice against unions. I firmly believe in free enterprise and I believe that unions have held back that freedom. But I could not believe that Maggie Thatcher would buy coal from a communist country in order to destroy a union and put 200,000 workers out of work. I still do not like unions, but now I want to know the details of their work actions. Strong government may be worse than strong unions.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
bmiles v1.1 desgined by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.