New York, New York

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

New York, New York

Post by patc »

I hope the Mods won't mind me posting this here as well as on the US section because I know that there are some Forum Members who simply don't have the time to read all three sections of the Forum.

I went over to see the US version (three shows) this week with a completely open mind knowing that there are some changes to the show we see in London but not knowing too much about the detail.

Nothing could have prepared me for the surprise. It was like that first time in July 2006 when I saw BETM for the first time. I'm only back home and more than a bit jet-lagged so I'll have to be brief. The US Billy is MAGNIFICENT. There are differences of some kind in every scene from that in London right from the very start and the music is orchestrated differently or at least with different instruments used a lot of the time, but there was not one milli-second in the entire three shows that I was not enthralled, captivated, amazed, blown away, (and all the other words that can be used) at the manner in which the show is presented on Broadway. All three shows were jammed solid with pumped-up audiences. It brought a new meaning to "unbelievable".

If I had known at the time of booking that there would be four Billys I would have booked four shows instead of three. It was great to see the three original US Billys Kiril, David and Trent in that order but, luckily, also saw the fourth Billy, Tommy Batchelor once as Tall Boy. Great reason to go back again not to mention that David Bologna was on vacation. Frank twice as Michael and Keean three times, once as Michael and Tall Boy twice. There seems to be only one Debbie, Erin. Two Small Boys (Mitchell and Matthew). To see this amazing young talent all in the one show on Broadway is such a magnificent pleasure. Each and every one of them is so brilliant and special at what they do that I can still feel the hairs on the back of my neck bristling at the memories.

Likewise, the adult cast. I hope to make some more individual comments over the next few days but suffice to say for now that they have been expertly handpicked to play all the wonderful characters we all know and love from the show. But what a giant of a man Gregory Jbara is. On the stage his portrayal of Dad is so moving. One of my favourite scenes in the London show is the pit confrontation scene with Tony and He Could be a Star. This scene has been reworked and was the real surprise package. When I heard from another Forum member that Billy was now in this scene I have to admit I was not fussed about that. Now, having seen it, I hope this is brought to London. It is brilliantly done, a tearjerker of monumental proportions and brings a whole new meaning to "Take This and This". Greg has his tenderest emotional moment in this scene and even as I write this I can feel the tear ducts opening. But Greg is more than just a great performer. He is the show's greatest ambassador and meeting him was the highlight of three amazing days in New York that I will never, ever forget.

The wonderful friendly atmosphere outside the theatre after the shows added hugely to the occasion and to all of the cast/crew that we met a big Irish Go raibh míle maith agat (1000 thanks to you). It was an enormous icing on the cake.

Don't get me wrong. I can't wait for next week's Thursday Matinee in London. I greatly missed not being there this week. But here we have two fantastic but different presentations of the same show that leave you not only breathless but wanting more and more. If only Ryanair did Transatlantic I could head over on the early flight from Dublin to New York every Wednesday in time for the matinee, then catch a late night flight back to London in time for Thursday Matinee. Now, there's a greedy thought.

Extra special to meet up with some wonderful fans (you know who you are) showing what a truly international following BETM has.

I am definitely going back to see the US Billy again and I would exhort anyone who can make it to go and, preferably, soon.

Pat
wendy
Tall Boy

Re: New York, New York

Post by wendy »

great review patc, it realy makes me want to go i hoping to go in oct but wolud rather go sooner, jusy a quick question did you book the theater tickets before you went or did you get them while you were over there,
wendy
Tall Boy

Post by wendy »

one more thing, glad you had a great time over there, :D
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

wendy wrote:great review patc, it realy makes me want to go i hoping to go in oct but wolud rather go sooner, jusy a quick question did you book the theater tickets before you went or did you get them while you were over there,
Thanks, Wendy. I bought the tickets in advance on 6th December. I wanted to be sure that I had good seats before I booked the flights/hotel. The booking agency Telecharge allows you to print your tickets online with a barcode included. Works like a dream.

On arrival at the theatre each night the Box-Office was still open for sales for that night (very small queue) so the odd ticket must have been still available or maybe there were returns. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Pat
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

patc wrote:There are differences of some kind in every scene from that in London right from the very start and the music is orchestrated differently or at least with different instruments used a lot of the time.
I believe that the differences in orchestration are down to the fact that union rules require a larger orchestra on Broadway, so I'd guess the music has a slightly fuller sound than the London production.

BTW, I believe some of the changes we saw in London in December were based on the NY show - can you tell me any of them?
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Chris wrote:BTW, I believe some of the changes we saw in London in December were based on the NY show - can you tell me any of them?
Um, off the top of my head just some of them:

Shine. Midway, the point where Billy tries to leave and is recalled by Mrs. W.

The reshaping of the Pre-Angry Dance kitchen scene.

RBS - Posh Boy wears a posh uniform instead of a posh suit.

During the inter-play between Tony and Dad/Grandma when the RBS acceptance letter arrives Dad hides the letter rather than Tony just grabbing it.

If I think of any more I'll let you know.

Interesting, though, that, in the first scene between Billy and Dead Mum, Billy rushes upstairs to find his trainers. This has been dropped in the London version for quite some time.

Pat
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

patc wrote:If only Ryanair did Transatlantic I could head over on the early flight from Dublin to New York every Wednesday in time for the matinee, then catch a late night flight back to London in time for Thursday Matinee. Now, there's a greedy thought.
This was announced in November.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7705169.stm

See, now you CAN do the weekly run.

Arrive in NYC on Wednesday in time for the matinee.
Wednesday night overnight flight to London in time to catch the Thursday matinee at the VPT. Then fly back to Dublin Thursday night.
See? It's simple. :lol:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Nice one, Rich. I've been waiting for that to happen but it isn't looking likely at the moment. Been taking flying lessons, though ;)

Pat
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Glad to hear you had a great trip to New York, Pat. I do agree that the casting department made some fantastic picks for the original Broadway cast. Each of the 3 Billys I saw over the opening weekend in November were excellent . . . really couldn't say which one was "best" even if I had to. They all seemed up to the task of carrying the show, and the Michaels were both very talented as well.

I did find that I missed Ann Emery and Trevor Fox from the London show, but other than that I never found myself making comparisons between the two shows' cast. I thought the slight changes in dialogue were appropriate in an effort to explain some of the background of the story, replacing some names (Wayne Sleep, for example) who most Americans wouldn't know, etc.

Glad you saw 3 great shows . . .. makes me excited to hopefully get back to New York again myself this year !
wendy
Tall Boy

Post by wendy »

thanks for the info i hope to book soon
patc wrote:
wendy wrote:great review patc, it realy makes me want to go i hoping to go in oct but wolud rather go sooner, jusy a quick question did you book the theater tickets before you went or did you get them while you were over there,
Thanks, Wendy. I bought the tickets in advance on 6th December. I wanted to be sure that I had good seats before I booked the flights/hotel. The booking agency Telecharge allows you to print your tickets online with a barcode included. Works like a dream.

On arrival at the theatre each night the Box-Office was still open for sales for that night (very small queue) so the odd ticket must have been still available or maybe there were returns. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Pat

Return to “Archive”