Group Profiles of the Best Fans of Billy Elliot The Musical

accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Group Profiles of the Best Fans of Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by accessmenj »

So we can summarize the last several comments to come up with a gameplan to attract more boys to Billy Elliot The Musical.

1] Young boys are ruled by peer pressure. All public information about the show must not make it seem like it is a show that only weird kids would attend.
2] Teachers and schools must discuss this show as serious theater and a work of art. Knowledge and the recognition of the play's relevance to teen issues will create an interest. If schools don't do it, parents or friends who are taking the teens to see the show have to provide the discussion.
3]Nothing is better than seeing the show more than once. A discussion between the viewings will increase the understanding and enjoyment of the second viewing.
4] Take a small group of teens only if they all seem to want to go. Never drag a young teen anywhere if they are unwilling.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

I found a good way to get my nephew to attend Billy Elliot and enjoy it. He is too young for car dating but he does have a girlfriend. I offered to treat him and her to Billy Elliot for their first date. He thought that it was a great idea. It was even better that she was taking dance lessons.

Everyone had a great time. She enjoyed the story, dancing and kids her age. He enjoyed the story and feeling grown-up on a date without his parents. I enjoyed everything, especially introducing the kids to Billy Elliot The Musical.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

You are a master of psychology, ALLMIXEDUP, especially child psychology. That is exactly what I was looking for, making attending Billy Elliot The Musical a cool experience for all. Hopefully your nephew will talk up his date night at the show.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The next group of best fans of Billy Elliot The Musical would have to be young girls who are taking dance lessons. They would have many reasons to enjoy the show. The Ballet girls serve as an example of where hard work and good training can lead, and they also provide humor. Billy and Michael also provide humor, and possibly a boy-interest who enjoys dance like they do.

But again, why are there so few pre-teen and teen girls at most of the BETM shows?
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

My guess is that the same promotions that scare away pre-teen and teen boys also make the show unattractive to girls in dance schools. BETM needs to appeal to what the girls are interested in seeing.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

With all the short stops, Billy Elliot needs an advanced team to do promotions. A Billy, Michael, Debby and Ballet Girls team should visit Dance Schools and perform a short demonstration. This would spread the word and increase interest.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Visits to local dance schools would be a great way to encourage young dancers to attend Billy Elliot The Musical. Certainly it is better than a daytime TV show when the kids are in school. Check out this video of Trent visiting his old dance school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrqE5Shr ... re=related
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The latest publicity for BETM in the LA Publicity thread is perfect and shows that this tour is learning what it takes to make people want to see the show. Both boys and girls involved in show business would relate to the promo. Even kids not in the business would think that the two Billys were smart and entertaining. Don't dumb-down the kids if you want to appeal to other kids.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

When there is a break between cities, I think that an advance promotion crew of the actors should visit some of the dance schools in the upcoming cities. During this break, some Billys, Michaels and Ballet Girls should be touring the Mid-West to promote the show. Kids who have left the show would be perfect. A great Summer job for Billy retirees.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

accessmenj wrote:When there is a break between cities, I think that an advance promotion crew of the actors should visit some of the dance schools in the upcoming cities. During this break, some Billys, Michaels and Ballet Girls should be touring the Mid-West to promote the show. Kids who have left the show would be perfect. A great Summer job for Billy retirees.
But remember they should use the break to relax as they deserve it immensely.

Return to “Archive”