November 2009 Reviews - London

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: November 2009 - Reviews

Post by StevenKing »

andrewcraig wrote:I have not liked the changes that the US have made, but Ronald Reagan. OMG

Next thing we will hear they are planning to call it Betty Elliot and Michael will become Margaret

Stop playing with the original.

Fot those US fans who have not seen the UK finale I have posted and can again, the UK version.
Actually it wasnt a bad idea since no one had a clue who Hesseltine is...but the whole thing just didnt work period here, a huge cultural mismatch...time for a MAJOR change. Thank you Ellen for putting your finger on it...In the UK the crowd pulls us poor Americans along for the ride even if we dont quite get it(and not just there), in the USA total silence...which as I remember it was PAINFUL. I agree it isnt as good as in London...flow is off and more then a bit rushed but the original was never going to work and I remember being most worried about just that scene before it opened and I was right. As changed its not bad and at least get some reaction. As too the finale its not THAT different from the UK...less Grandma seems a bit rushed again but still has most of Uk in it...I dont dislike it...but yea theres a bit more zing in the UK. Oh and as too playing with the original they've already done that IN LONDON and I have to say except for this last round of changes where they actually added in the good they snipped out alot of good stuff apparently for time purposes of which I certainly agree I hate...its kind of sad but I suddenly realize I forgotten how Pre-Angry Dance went...someone please remind me cause it was sooo much better!!!

Steven
elliot1
Small Boy

Post by elliot1 »

I don't like that version of angry dance at all! There is far too much going on.....
Each to their own ;) . I've only seen videos of US/UK Angry Dance, so probably can't judge it too well, though I never really liked the UK version as it didn't feel 'angry' enough ;) . Angry Dance was my least favourite on the OST and from the Youtube videos I watched, until I saw Billy for the first time in Melbourne and was BLOWN AWAY by Michael Dameski :o . It was very loud and intense and really got your heart racing - much better experienced live. All the people and policeman racing around really added to the chaotic atmosphere and you could feel the tension.

It still is Billy's dance and he is the focus, the other elements just 'heightened' the anger. I know all of the Aussie Billys could also yell and curse VERY effectively. :lol:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It's interesting reading about the differences between productions. Mr Braithwaite was the one who said "You look like a right w***ker to me" in Aus and John X's delivery of this line was just hilarious. Has it always been Debbie who said this line in the US/UK productions?

The Aus 'Born to Boogie' used a barre as a prop, so no skipping rope tripping, the barre worked well!
To answer the question about the w**ker line, in the US it has always been Debbie who leaves last through the red doors, leaving Billy alone to segue into the shadow dance, and she has always said d**khead. In London, the last person to leave through the red doors was always Mr. B, and he said the line. At the end of the scene, Mrs. W. used to leave upstage, and Debbie would grab her "stuff" and follow her, leaving Mr. B as the only one left onstage with Billy, but now on B'way everyone leaves through the red doors, with Debbie being the last. She climbs on the chair next to the doors to turn out the light, and that's when Billy says to her, "What do ya reckon?" "Shine" has undergone modifications, including a change in the part before the "number" where Billy gets ready to leave, but Mrs. W tells him he has to do the show. Then Mrs. W sings about the "touch of flu,"etc., with "they couldn't give a monkey's cuss" changed to "I couldn't give a monkey's cuss," which makes much more sense.

As for the barre, that was a difference unique to the Oz version of "Born to Boogie." No barre in London or NY. No rope skipping in Oz or London. Obviously, Daldry et al. don't mind giving each show its own unique touches, while keeping the core the same, yet borrowing freely from one production to the other as they see fit. I think it's great. It keeps the show fresh.

By the way, we actually have a thread for this discussion, so perhaps we should consider getting out of the reviews section and moving the discussion there.

Once we move to the other thread, Steven, I will answer your question about the pre-Angry Dance scene to the best of my memory. :D ;)
Here's the link: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 754#p22754
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saturday, November 28th

Matinee

Billy - Tom,
Michael - Jake
Debbie - Fleur
Mr B - Shaun Henson
Grandma - Romy

The rest of the characters played by the principals.

I am not very good at writing reviews so will just make a few observations.

Tom: Brilliant as ever. His singing voice is still excellent and I hope this means that he will be with us for a long time to come. His letter is, as has been said on many occasions, gut wrenching. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house.

Jake: A very funny Michael. He uses his glasses as a great prop. His singing and tap are also top rate.

Fleur: Boy she has one heck of a voice for such a small young lady. When she shouts “Mam” it is enough to shatter glass. I love her portrayal of Debbie.

Joanne: When she first started in the role I felt that she was a very hard Mrs W and I had my reservations. She now starts off very hard but as her relationship with Billy develops you can see her softening. It is a wonderful piece of acting. I find the final scene between Billy and Mrs W very touching.

Romy: I love here portryal of Grandma and if ever Ann decides to retire :( Then they have a ready replacement in Romy.

Shaun: He is a great Mr B. Very good dancer and also extremely funny. He does the splits with ease. I also love his little mannerisms - e.g: the way he "rearranges his shorts".

The rest of the cast were also on top form. A fantastic show and it got all the forum members in the mood for what was to come in the evening.

Saturday, November 28th

Evening

Billy - Fox
Michael - Connor (last performance)
Debbie - Annabelle (last performance)
Mr B - Shaun Henson

The rest of the characters played by the principals.

Nick Evans gave his usual eloquent speech before the start of the show telling the audience the names of all the leavers that night - including, of course, Connor and Annabelle.

The theatre was full and it is so nice to see all the young cast members who are not performing sat in the audience.

Reviews have already been posted about this show so there is little that I can add. I will say though that Fox was supreme and I hope that he, like Tom in the matinee, is with us for a long time to come.

Connor is so funny. His facial expressions are wonderful, along with great singing, acting and tap, and I am sure we have not seen the last of this young man. Well done Connor. You should be very proud of yourself. He was, understandably, very upset as the final curtain came down.

Annabelle has been a wonderful Debbie and I have been fortunate to have seen her many times. The delivery of her lines is first class and you can tell by the cheers from the cast in the audience that she is well thought of. Well done Annabelle. You, also, should be very proud of yourself.

The Ballet Girls gave 110%. It was the last night for most of them and they were determined to go out with a bang. More pushing and shoving than usual and I am surprised that some were not carried off on stretchers. Well done girls. I always say that you are the unsung heroes of this show and this performance did nothing to make me change my opinion. Also congratulations to Thomas McKenna who performed as Tall Boy for the final time.

Thank you to the rest of the cast that left as well. I have posted elsewhere who they are but make no apologies for posting again. The adults that left were Andy Black (second cover Tony), Shaun Walters (1st cover Older Billy), Daniel Ioannou (2nd cover Older Billy), Sorelle Marsh (2nd cover Dead Mum}, Kate Graham (she actually left a couple of weeks ago) and Stephanie Putson (Dead Mum). Also most of the girls in the three ballet teams have left - in fact I was told that there are 8 girls left out of the three teams. I know Tall Boy Jonathan Danciger left recently but I do not know about Tyler John Parker so if anybody can enlighten us then it would be appreciated.

There were 2 coaches outside the front of the Victoria Palace waiting to whisk the cast away for a party - which was thoroughly deserved. Well done to everybody.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Billy Whiz wrote:Well done Connor. You should be very proud of yourself. He was, understandably, very upset as the final curtain came down.
If my math is correct, he was only in the show for 5 months. That's got to be one of the shorter stints for any of the Michaels (even Ashley Lloyd was in the show for 6 months, if you count previews). It sounds from all the reviews that Connor was a top-notch Michael. Sorry that he couldn't have stayed around longer.
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

I think he started i june and fin end of nov, so I make that 6 months xx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

SATURDAY 28TH NOVEMBER

The day started with beautiful sunny weather however as the time came for the show to start it got increasingly wetter, for that reason I did not bother to go to the stage door but instead went into the theatre early and I think quite a few members of the forum decided to do likewise.

Once the show started it was easy to forget about the weather outside it was a full house. This was my first viewing of Joanna Riding as Mrs Wilkinson and I really liked her portrayal, hard on the outside yet quite soft inside. This was the first time I had seen Fox since the summer of 2008. He looked older and I think a bit taller, don’t know how old he is now though. Thought both Annabelle and Conner put their all into their parts really determined to enjoy their last night and leave with positive and happy memories. I noticed the offer letter was different and not the normal one also there was no address on the envelope I could imagine at the last moment someone just grabbing the nearest envelope to hand, possibly the one Billy keeps in his pocket for the final letter to Mum it looked “scrumpled” enough.
Overall another great night in the theatre, I though I saw quite a few small differences from when I last saw the show at the end of May. I am now looking foreword to performances on 31st March and May 12th.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
ilovefoxjacksonkeen
Tall Boy

Post by ilovefoxjacksonkeen »

jen wrote:SATURDAY 28TH NOVEMBER

The day started with beautiful sunny weather however as the time came for the show to start it got increasingly wetter, for that reason I did not bother to go to the stage door but instead went into the theatre early and I think quite a few members of the forum decided to do likewise.

Once the show started it was easy to forget about the weather outside it was a full house. This was my first viewing of Joanna Riding as Mrs Wilkinson and I really liked her portrayal, hard on the outside yet quite soft inside. This was the first time I had seen Fox since the summer of 2008. He looked older and I think a bit taller, don’t know how old he is now though. Thought both Annabelle and Conner put their all into their parts really determined to enjoy their last night and leave with positive and happy memories. I noticed the offer letter was different and not the normal one also there was no address on the envelope I could imagine at the last moment someone just grabbing the nearest envelope to hand, possibly the one Billy keeps in his pocket for the final letter to Mum it looked “scrumpled” enough.
Overall another great night in the theatre, I though I saw quite a few small differences from when I last saw the show at the end of May. I am now looking foreword to performances on 31st March and May 12th.

Glad you had a good time, Fox is now 14 and will be 15 on 14th May 2010 :)
Billy Elliot <3
08/8/09- Fox
14/8/09 - Ollie
19/9/09- Fox
17/10/09- Fox
06/11/09- Fox
12/12/09- Fox
24/1/10 - Ollie
27/3/10- Fox
Fox Jackson-Keen! <3
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: November 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Billy Whiz »

Monday, November 30th

Billy - Dean-Charles
Michael - George
Debbie - Emily

Not really a review but I just wanted to say a few words about the performances of Dean-Charles, George and Emily.

Even though Dean-Charles has performed in Billy before, albeit in lesser roles, he must have been anxious on his first night as Billy but you would never have thought so. He was confident in his singing, dancing and acting. He never missed a beat and he should be very proud of himself

Now George was the "old hand" on that night but it must have been hard for him - especially in Expressing Yourself and the Winter Scene. We only see the finished product on the stage but I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone into these scenes. When you are with a new Billy I would imagine that double concentration is called for. Well done.

Emily again never showed any nerves and I know that she is going to be a popular Debbie. She showed some lovely little touches and boy is she fiesty.

That's it - short and sweet :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”