Site Moderator

Re: DECEMBER REVIEWS - US

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Fri Dec. 11, 2009 8pm -

Billy - Tommy,
Michael - Trevor,
Small Boy - Luke,
+ understudy for Tony - Jeff Kready.

Wow a lot changed in the 10 weeks since my last visit! There are new actors for Mrs. W, Tall Boy, Small Boy, and older Billy.

Geridith and Rasputin have already beat me to reporting on many of the highlights from Friday. I still want to report from the view of someone who was seeing both Tommy and Trevor for the first time, as well as some observations about the newer cast members.

When Billy gets caught by Mum drinking the milk, Tommy displayed that huge grin of his.

Carole did a great job with Grandma's number. At the end of the song she gave Tommy a very tender look and hug, not unfamiliar to those who were at Kiril's final show. The applause for this number was especially strong that night.

During "Solidarity" one of the policemen's clubs rolled off the front of the stage. It didn't fall into the orchestra though, as there is a long basket-like thing on the lip of the stage that caught it.

I like Trevor's "I Dream of Jeannie" move that he does when he tells Billy "time to look in the mirror". It got a lot of laughs. Trevor seems like a natual ham. He also adds some new touches to the "just a little bit" piece in the tutu scene in act II.

In "The Letter" Kate surprised me by how visibly moved she appeared to be at the end.

In "B2B" Thommie R continues to add moves and gestures that get lots of laughs.

At the "hoo hoo" line, Tommy took several steps back in horror, which got some laughs and applause.

The line that was changed for most of the boys from "he's only 11" to "he's only 12" is still 11 for Tommy. Tommy's "Angry Dance" completely blew me away! He screams much more than any of the others. At the end was quite a long yell. In response to Rasputin's post, you are not the only one who gets chills at the first notes of this number.

Easton Smith as the new older Billy happens to be blond. His hair color is a close match with Tommy's, an extra bonus. Their "Dream Ballet" looked in near perfect unison.

Jeff Kready did a great job as understudy for Tony. Jeff looks young enough to be believable as Billy's older brother. His performance was complete with the passion and intensity worthy of the role. During "He Could Shine..." his mic went out. Still his singing was strong enough that everyone could hear him clearly. Great projection!

At the Royal Ballet, Easton made moves with his body to accentuate his muscles and bulges even more, which made Greg even more uncomfortable.

Tommy's spins are already legendary. This was my first time seeing them. "Electricity" is always a treat with any Billy. This night a few people stood, mostly I think fans of this forum.

I feel I must pay special tribute to some of the folks who have been anchors of this show through all of the changes: Greg, Carole, Thommie Reitter (Mr. B.), Joel Hatch (George), and Daniel Oreskes (Big Davey). Their performances continue to be solid, strong, and reassuring.

They did the usual "see ya Michael, see ya Billy" at the end. The only indication at all that this was a special night was Small Boy gave Tommy flowers at the curtain call. Still it was a great show. Tommy and the rest of the cast were in top form.

-Chris
:/
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Thanks for such a thorough, detailed account, Chris. It's very meaningful that you described the newer performers as well as make tribute to the tried-and-true regulars who are there every show.

I would like to see a younger person play Tony. As good as Santino and Will were/are, it just feels to me that Tony should be in his late teens. Eerie that Jeff's mic went out for a while, because Will's mic went out for quite a while on his first night. :shock:

NOW they bring in an Older Billy who has blonde hair, with Tommy and Kiril gone? All the remaining/new Billys have very dark hair! Seriously, I think they should darken Easton's hair. It works better in the number for the older self to look plausibly related. Now is when they need the dark, curly-headed Older Billy!
Rasputin
Audience Member

Post by Rasputin »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Fri Dec. 11, 2009 8pm -

In response to Rasputin's post, you are not the only one who gets chills at the first notes of this number.

-Chris
:D
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sat Dec. 12, 2009 2pm -

Billy - Trent,
Michael - Keean,
Small Boy - Matthew,
+ understudy for Big Davey - not posted on the board but announced at curtain time. I believe it was David Koch.

To be honest, at first I was a little disappointed that Trent was performing, simply because I've seen him so much more than the other Billys (of my 8 shows half have been with Trent). However once the show got underway that all changed. Although taller now, Trent is very much at the top of his game. He gave a fantastic performance!

David Koch (sorry if I got the name wrong, I was writing in the dark) did a nice job as Big Davey u/s. He has a beautiful tenor voice and was very much in the right character. I found myself missing Daniel Oreskes' deep rich bass, simply because I've come to expect it. It's just a matter of what you get used to.

In the boxing scene Matthew (my favorite Small Boy) really hammed it up with the "oh Jesus" screams during the push ups, and got some big laughs.

Carole did her usual great job in Grandma's song.

"Solidarity" was breathtaking. Trent did a nice job showing the gradual evolution of Billy's dance training, from an awkward, confused, uncertain start, to pirouettes with confidence by the end.

Keean got a great laugh with "my Dad does it all the time". I feel he has become a much stronger Michael over the past 5 months since I first saw him in the role. He performs with more confidence.

In B2B Trent did a lot of rapid crisscrosses with the rope. This worked very well.

"Angry Dance" is still Trent's signature piece. No need to say more. As the house lights went up I could see everyone around me looking at each other in awe of what they had just seen on stage.

In the winter scene between Dad and Mrs. W, Greg seemed to lose his place for a second or two, as if he wasn't sure of the next line. He recovered nicely though. I don't think the audience noticed, since Dad is still drunk from the party. Or perhaps Greg just played up the being drunk bit more than usual this time?

In the "He could go..." scene Greg's mouth was extremely bloody after Tony hit him. He was dripping blood for a few minutes, into the start of "take this and this".

Here is is why Trent's version of "Electricity" is so great. His voice is clear and sweet. He has probably the best diction of anyone I have heard sing the number. Every letter and syllable of the word 'electricity' rings out clear. Also Trent has a way of "finding the light" as we say in theater. Most others look out to the back of the house when they sing. Trent tilts his face slightly upward. As a result the spot hits him as if it were sunlight, and his eyes sparkle. He also smiles quite a bit during the number. His now longer legs make his pirouettes look very graceful.

All in all this was a great show and great job by the entire cast! Trent continues to perform stronger than ever.

-Chris
:/
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Chris for two wonderful reviews.

Reading the reviews is the next best thing to actually being there.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks Chris for two wonderful reviews.

Reading the reviews is the next best thing to actually being there.

Ditto!
Thank you!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote: Here is is why Trent's version of "Electricity" is so great. His voice is clear and sweet. He has probably the best diction of anyone I have heard sing the number. Every letter and syllable of the word 'electricity' rings out clear. Also Trent has a way of "finding the light" as we say in theater. Most others look out to the back of the house when they sing. Trent tilts his face slightly upward. As a result the spot hits him as if it were sunlight, and his eyes sparkle. He also smiles quite a bit during the number. His now longer legs make his pirouettes look very graceful.

All in all this was a great show and great job by the entire cast! Trent continues to perform stronger than ever.

-Chris
Very nice way of describing Trent's performance and the way he commands the stage. My reaction was the same as yours Chris, the last time I was at the show there. . . in terms of being a bit disappointed right at first that Trent was on since I've seen him more than any other Billy. But like you, I couldn't help but be amazed once again at what a magnificent job he does in all areas. Some Billys have their strengths that maybe overshadow some of the other parts of their performance. But with Trent, I think a case could be made that he is outstanding in just about everything that the role of Billy requires him to do.

While tap dancing is his bread and butter (which probably partly explains why "Angry Dance" is a standout number for him), I think it's amazing how his ballet has grown to where he could pretty much hold his own with any of the top Ballet Billys that have been in the show. Apparently he's put a great deal of time and effort into it, considering he hadn't done much ballet when he originally auditioned for the show.

And yes, it's icing on the cake to hear him sing, as I can't think of a better singing Billy at the moment in either New York or London. I guess that makes him an honest-to-goodness triple threat in terms of excelling in dancing, singing, and acting. I wish I could have seen him in his early London days to see how he compares then to now. In other words, has he been this great right from the start, or is it a case of him growing and improving as he's gone along ?

At any rate, we're fortunate that he's performed for so long and still seems to love doing it and still is believable in the role, despite his growth spurt. There's no substitute for experience and confidence, and Trent certainly has it in spades. Long may he continue.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Todd wrote:Apparently he's put a great deal of time and effort into it, considering he hadn't done much ballet when he originally auditioned for the show.
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Trent had been having ballet lessons since he was 4.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Actually, as I recall, Trent began ballet at 3 because he could not start Irish Dance until 4. But he has studied ballet, tap, Irish, contemporary, acro, etc., all along rather than specializing in one discipline, although he has been more focused on tap and Irish Dance over the years than on ballet. However, he has certainly had the fundamental training in ballet that has benefitted him in all other styles. Since he has been in the show, he has continued working on ballet, especially as he is a "ballet Billy," and as he has grown taller and stronger, his ballet technique seems to have blossomed more, perhaps from the added maturity, but probably also from the additional training and the inspiration of his fellow Billys, David and Kiril. I am sure they have also been inspired by and benefitted from Trent's example as a tapper during their time in the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews Archive”