Site Moderator

January 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by James.R »

Looking forward to a brand new year of reviews
athing
Small Boy

Re: January 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by athing »

Just back home from David's finale on Broadway, one word...AWESOME.

The night got off to a good start for me after having a friend cancel who was going to use my second ticket I ran into a buyer for it, none other than Keean Johnson's father. He is such a nice man, friendly and open. We sat together and talked quite a bit about his son and David. According to him Keean and David are the very close friends, he described it as a very emotional night for his son, saying goodbye to his best friend, and as I watched the show it was very apparent but I will get to that in a bit.

Before the show Stephen Daldry came up onstage to announce that it was David's last show and talked a bit about what its like to be losing one of the original Broadway Billys, it was emotional for him making the announcement, you could hear it in his voice. It just increased my realization of how the cast of BETM is a one big family.

David was marvelous tonight, it was the second time I have seen him. It did sound, to my tone death ears, that his voice is giving him some problems with the songs though I'm sure emotion was also playing a huge impact but he worked his way through it well. You could see throughout the show that there were times he seemed to struggle with his emotions; The Letter and the Reprise and Grandma's Song and when Billy says goodbye to Mrs.Wilkinson.

David's Angry Dance was super as was the Dream Ballet. Electricity was just that, electric. He hit it dead on and looked like he just let himself go. He received a well deserved standing ovation at the end of electricity that went on for several minutes and you could see it in David's face, like he couldn't believe it, I think the audience truely let David know what they thought of him and it touched him deep down.

I noticed this more in tonight's show than when I saw David before; His lines and leaps, when doing ballet, were amazing. He was graceful and strong in the Dream Ballet and Electricity.

Grandma's song was very touching, you could see it both there faces and as they finished and left the stage they left with their arms around each other in what appeared to be a very intense embrace.

I'm not going in order, I'm saving the David/Keean scenes for last.

When Billy says goodbye to Mrs.Wilkinson and she says you better go before I start to cry it was too late, the tears were flowing.

Keean's dad clued me into his son's relationship with David so I payed close attention to Keean's reactions, especially during Express Yourself. First Keean changed a few of the lines as they were tap dancing together, saying this is the last time we will be doing this so we better to it good and such acknowledging it being David's last show. Throughout the scene it seemed that Keean was struggling keeping it together. When he was singing or had a line he was right on but when David was singing/talking I could see Keean starting to breakdown, I saw that especially near the end of the scene with the dresses running around and them coraling them, Keean was near tears. Usually he has a big smile on his face but tonight the emotions were right below the surface. He was the ultimate showman though, this was the third time I've seen him as Michael and tonight's was the best.

The ending was changed like they have before; "See you Keean", and after a bit longer of delay than normal and with great emotion "See ya David". I don't know how there could have been a dry eye in the house, mine weren't that is for sure and neither were Mr.Johnson's sitting next to me.

When they called David back on the stage for the finale David's emotions again seemed to grab him and he soaked in the loud standing ovation. Then as the finale started and pulled himself together but the finale was special, you could see David's true appreciation for his cast mates and he went through the finale introducing them all. After David took his bow in front of the Billy sign and the cast came back on the standing ovation was awesome. Greg Jbara tried to say something after a few minutes and had to step back as the ovation grew. Finally he brought David's dad onstage to turn David back over to his family.

I waited at the stage door and was able to briefly talk to David and shake his hand, congratulating him and thanking him for the honor of seeing him perform.

Awesome night, so happy and sad at the same time. I especially feel for Keean as he prepares for his departure from Broadway n a few weeks to go to Chicago.

The last I saw of the young cast; David, Trent, Liam, Keean, and several of the Ballet girls was them going with one of the "Keeper" to a nearby restaurant for what I can only believe was and emotional farewell get together.

I'm sure I've missed things but I know others will be along with their reviews and observations...

I have a few pictures from the stage door but right now don't see how to post them...help me someone?
athing (aka Mark)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, Mark. How lovely that you got to sit next to Keean's dad!
Check Billy Whiz's signature for the gallery email address. That is where you need to send your photos.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
athing
Small Boy

Post by athing »

ERinVA wrote:Thanks for your review, Mark. How lovely that you got to sit next to Keean's dad!
Check Billy Whiz's signature for the gallery email address. That is where you need to send your photos.
Thanks, I will send them off...

Sitting next to MR.Johnson was a blessing, he is such a nice man. It just re-enforces to me that these actors we love as Billy and Michael are kids first and actors second, he made them that much more real for me.
athing (aka Mark)
sgv123
Ballet Girl

Post by sgv123 »

Great review! This was my first time seeing David, and I am so glad that I got the opportunity to attend his final performance.

I would like to add a couple of things:

1) During "The Letter", David stopped singing right before " I was with you through everything." He just put his head down and did not sing the rest of the song. The music still played, and Kate picked up from where she was supposed to.

2) At the end of Electricity as soon as David took his final stance he let out a "yeah!" I think he knew that he nailed it :D He had tears in his eyes however. During the one minute standing O, I looked at Greg and he had this grin on his face through the tears, that I do not think I noticed before.

3) I did not expect David to become emotional---based on what others have said about his past performances----but he let it out tonight.

4) Just like Kiril and Tommy before, Leah (mum) gave David a hug at the end of Letter reprise.

5) David was very vocal during the finale---- telling everyone to step it up and get louder.

6) During the toilet scene with Debbie (Izzy) i laughed a little bit because of the height difference. David is probably about 1-1.5 feet taller than he.

That is all I can recall at the moment, but I may post more later.
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1
seuchick
Small Boy

Post by seuchick »

Thank you for your reviews. I really enjoy reading about all the special moments that take place during final performances and am truly touched to hear how emotional the cast and even Stephen Daldry were on this occasion. Looking forward to your photos, athing!
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

sgv123 wrote:Great review! This was my first time seeing David, and I am so glad that I got the opportunity to attend his final performance.

I would like to add a couple of things:

1) During "The Letter", David stopped singing right before " I was with you through everything." He just put his head down and did not sing the rest of the song. The music still played, and Kate picked up from where she was supposed to.

2) At the end of Electricity as soon as David took his final stance he let out a "yeah!" I think he knew that he nailed it :D He had tears in his eyes however. During the one minute standing O, I looked at Greg and he had this grin on his face through the tears, that I do not think I noticed before.

3) I did not expect David to become emotional---based on what others have said about his past performances----but he let it out tonight.

4) Just like Kiril and Tommy before, Leah (mum) gave David a hug at the end of Letter reprise.

5) David was very vocal during the finale---- telling everyone to step it up and get louder.

6) During the toilet scene with Debbie (Izzy) i laughed a little bit because of the height difference. David is probably about 1-1.5 feet taller than he.

That is all I can recall at the moment, but I may post more later.
1.Davids been doing that for sometime...covers up that he cant really sing that line well anymore(works this way though!)
2.SWEET...love to have seen that !!
4.ahhhh. Sniff
5.Also something David has done for sometime that the others dont doo...really liked it!!

Sniff...see ya David.

Steven
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the reviews. It sounds like it was one hell of a show.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks, everyone, for your great reviews of David's last show. Sounds like he gave his usual 110% and that it was very much appreciated by the audience in what was, by all accounts, a very emotional send off.

Godspeed, David, to whereever your considerable talents take you.
sgv123
Ballet Girl

Post by sgv123 »

Thanks Steven :)

I actually wrote down that I thought that he did not finish the letter because that part was too high, but then I erased it.
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1

Return to “Reviews Archive”