Post by jacob »

Friday, February 12th

Tom
Jake
Emily
Ann Emery as Grandma
Craig Gallivan as Tony
Chris Hatt as MD

Just a few random thoughts now that I have calmed down after Friday's Show. Sorry, but I don't do thesis style reviews any more :) The theatre was very nearly a Full House with just a few side Stalls seats and the Boxes vacant.
I hadn't seen Tom for some time and so it was exciting to experience his interpretation of Billy once more. His acting has always been excellent but I was particularly impressed by the way in which his ballet has developed. In the scene where Mrs W is teaching Billy various ballet positions, he finishes with a particularly difficult position after being told to hold in his tummy and adjust his chin. It is really hard to hold this position without wobbling. On Friday Billy held the pose for much longer than I have seen anyone do recently and he only breaks it when Debbie says her next line. To me this illustrates the point at which Billy realises how much he wants to be a ballet dancer. Ballet is incredibly demanding on muscles, breathing and concentration. Tom showed how much effort and concentration have gone into rehearsing this routine. He is able to combine this level of ballet with the wide ranging styles of dance that he has built into his version of Electricity. Timing is so important in Electricity. Even with some electronic cueing, it is easy to slip between moves and land inelegantly on the backside :oops: Friday night the timing was perfect. I wonder if he will introduce more variations into Electricity as he strikes me as a performer who likes to change things from time to time as he develops his role. Every time I see him, he surpasses my expectation.
Jake had a slight 'wardrobe malfunction' in Express. He couldn't seem to tuck his dress into his skirt at the back :) :) No problem at all with the pink shawl though :D He is very funny and does loads of business when he has put on the tutu. Most of this is original thinking on his part, for example sitting on Billy's knee and doing 'stuff' with his glasses. It is striking the extent to which each Michael interprets the part in their own special way.
I appreciated the calm and sensitive way in which Chris Hatt conducted the music. His empathy with the cast was apparent and he communicated subtly and effectively with everyone on stage. The MD is often overlooked, I feel, despite invariably being thanked by each Billy on his way back to the stage at the end. So too, the backstage managers and crew members who ensured that Friday's Show went without a hitch.
I believe that half-term week is pretty well sold out already. Those who have tickets have a treat in store.................and ain't that the truth 8-)
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
sleepylins
Ballet Girl

Re: February 2010 reviews - London

Post by sleepylins »

jacob wrote: In the scene where Mrs W is teaching Billy various ballet positions, he finishes with a particularly difficult position after being told to hold in his tummy and adjust his chin. It is really hard to hold this position without wobbling. On Friday Billy held the pose for much longer than I have seen anyone do recently and he only breaks it when Debbie says her next line. To me this illustrates the point at which Billy realises how much he wants to be a ballet dancer.
I also love at the end of this bit, after Debbie shouts out and Billy leaves the position, Tom(i havent seen any of the other boys do this)rubs his leg, which, he has clearly thought about.I can imagine it does hurt, especially more so when its done for the first few times.Small detail but says alot about Toms thought into the character.If other Billys do this,then it shows the companys thought into the character but, im sorry, i have only seen Tom do it.
Billy:-
Coreyx5, Samx1, Josh.Fx8, Trentx5, Laytonx7, Hoganx2, Fox x10, Tomx10, Tannerx6, Bradx5,Olliex6,Deanx5,Rhysx4,Aaronx2,Scottx2,Josh.Bx0,Ryanx1, Adamx0
Michael:-
Laytonx1, Shaunx14 1/5, Jontyx10 4/5, Danielx4, Lewisx9, Deanx4, Georgex5 , Jakex10, Connor.Dx3,Connor.Kx12, Joex3,Reecex2,Connor.Lx1
Debbie:-
Leighx1, Leycix6, Amyx7, Scarlettx15, Meganx6, Aliciax6, Annabellex6, Fleurx11,Francescax12,Emily.Sx8, Emily.Wx1
79 WONDERFUL SHOWS
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The Billys I have seen have all either rubbed their leg, or shaken their legs out, clearly showing that holding the position is both difficult and painful for Billy at this stage in his training. Of course, this serves to emphasize his determination to learn to dance. It seems to me to be the equivalent in the film of Billy practicing the pirouette over and over in the bathroom until he loses his balance and falls into the bathtub full of water.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 16th February 2010 - UK London

Billy - Tom
Michael - Connor
Debbie - Francesca

Stunning performance tonight from the delightful trio above + all the hard working regulars.
Tom is really back with a vengence - never seen him so good. the break has worked wonders.
Phil Snowden played an amusing George.
Another thing I have not seen for a long time is a FULL STANDING OVATION from everyone in the stalls.
Great work team.
Lets have more of this :D
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

You're clocking up some shows there burtond! I think you might possibly be addicted!!

Ah, I remember those days so well!

Thanks for the reviews, keep them coming.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Yep Muppet - shows are clocking up.
But a funny thing happened on Monday evening - I actually felt myself willing the show to end - I felt at the time I was getting too familiar with it. I sat there considering that actually enough is enough and I should bring this addiction to an end. Strange thoughts especially as it was a Fox show to boot!
But last night changed all that. Even though I was worn out after a very long working day and sat in the stalls fully suited and booted i.e not very comfortable - the Tom performance lifted any thoughts of potential boredom with the same old routines completely away. I left the performance last night feeling as uplifted and entertained as I usually do.
Perhaps (on reflection) I am subconsciously 'weening' myself off Fox prior to his departure - Strange!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

burtond wrote: Another thing I have not seen for a long time is a FULL STANDING OVATION from everyone in the stalls.
Great work team.
Lets have more of this :D
I had this twice (from my only three shows I have seen so far :( ) and I was really disappointed, when it did not happen the last time. My impression is, that it strenghtens my own elation, if it happens.

Maybe this also influenced your addiction?

Regards - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Hi Thomas,
I think you're quite right - a good and appreciate audience does usually make for an excellent show. Don't get me wrong though, Mondays show was great. Fox was his usual brilliant self. Unfortunately, I had a #@&%* aweful seat - stalls B1, there were no other Forum members to speak to and i was sat next to a guy who really wasn't interested in the show. In fact, had Fox's Dad (who was sat in the middle stalls area) not got to his feet at the end of the show to applaud his Son, I do not feel that any of the audience would have made the effort too. Again, don't mis-understand me here, I do not believe that a standing ovation is a God given right, but the audience do need a wake up call - can they not appreciate the talent and skills that these boys have which is totally exceptional. Don't they reaslise that a 12-14 year old is playing the LEAD in a top London show???
Am I getting cynical?
By the way, I am still trying to analyse wht my addiction is all about!
MDB
Tall Boy

Post by MDB »

Good Call !
UBIQUE
Bungie
Small Boy

Post by Bungie »

Tuesday 16th.February 2010. Burtond wrote of the stunning performance by the delightful trio (Tom/Connor/Francesca) and the hard working cast. I won't even attempt to elaborate on that,as those few words summed the evening's performance beautifully. The audience were really up for this one, and even the mini explosion in the electrics which caused a few minutes delay, only whetted their appetite even more. (Well done to the back stage staff for a speedy repair). The roars of approval which accompanied the ovations and the standing ovation were well deserved. After the final curtain, I discreetly observed the faces of people in my vicinity, and listened to their comments and chatter. Conclusion - Another great night in the continuing success story of Billy Elliot.

Return to “Reviews Archive”