February 2010 reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

February 2010 reviews - NYC

Post by Billy Whiz »

It's February already. Here's hoping for some terrific reviews.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Re: February 2010 reviews - New York

Post by Moby-Dick »

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Billy - Liam Redhead
Michael - Jake Evan Schwencke
Small Boy - Seth Fromowitz
Dad - Phil Whitchurch

Allow me to first express how this whole living-in-New-York-City-and-thus-close-to-Broadway business is proving to be both delightful and dangerous: it is delightful because - in the midst of a great deal of academic and job-searching stress and anxiety - there really is no better escape than disappearing into the world of Billy Elliot - albeit for only a matter of hours; and it is dangerous because I fear I have a bit of an obsession brewing, and there's only so much grocery shopping that I can skimp out on each week. (But no fear, Rich, I don't plan on resorting to selling my own blood plasma to buy tickets just yet!) :lol:

(Pre-Show, Student Rush and Imperial Theatre)

This Thursday was a another pre-planned BE viewing - this time with a good friend who I unfortunately do not get the chance to see very often anymore. We had talked about seeing BE together a few weeks earlier, so I was super happy to be seeing the show with her on Thursday.

Most excellent luck this evening: somehow, student rush tickets were cheaper than usual (at only $31.50), and we scored full-view seats in the first row of the rear mezzanine. When we walked into the theatre for the show, a quick glance at the board told us that it would be Liam playing Billy. Was quite glad to see Liam's name for many reasons: a) he's amazing, and I knew my friend would enjoy seeing him in the show, b) he was the first Billy I saw on Broadway, and c) I've been wanting to write at least one full review for each of the current Broadway Billys! So here goes nothing...

(Stars Look Down)

First time seeing Seth Fromowitz in the role of Small Boy this evening. Wow, and I thought Luke was tiny! Seth was absolutely adorable; he looked so small and fragile on the huge Imperial stage. Definitely got a few "awwwh"s from the audience at the start of the show.

The Company always does such a great job with this number, and the song is always performed with so much energy and emotion. I really love seeing the whole cast come together on stage because it really gives the audience a sense of how closely knit the community is and what everyone is going through.

After seeing Trent last week in the role of Billy, Liam looked so little on stage! As he sang his first few notes, I couldn't help thinking that this was the same adorable boy whose face got shoved into a cake by Stephen Daldry! :lol:

(Solidarity)

Sigh...what a marvelous, marvelous number. It impresses me each and every time I see it performed. From my full-view seats on Thursday (as opposed to the partial view seat last week), I was once again able to soak in the great choreography.

No Tessa Netting as Spastic Starfish at this performance, but the girl playing Susan Parks was great and got a lot of laughs. Being a rather reserved person, I can't imagine how much confidence it must take to dance like a spastic starfish on stage. These girls are so great. Gotta give them credit for making us laugh and making the show so enjoyable for us audience members.

One of the most beautiful moments in the number is when Liam holds his arabesque position for the first time, as it is so vastly different from his "bad" ballet dancing in the beginning. Because Liam is such a gifted ballet dancer, the transformation is all the more beautiful to see, and you really do get a sense of how hard it must be for these talented boys to act like they aren't good at dancing.

(Expressing Yourself)

You'd think after having seen Jake perform in the role of Michael for the third time that I'd run out of things to say about this number. And yet, each time I've watched him perform, I come away with more good things to say. That's the beauty about seeing this show - it's different each time, and every performance has a little something special.

Over the past two weeks of seeing Jake perform, it was quite evident in Thursday's show that he's really growing into the role and getting more and more comfortable as Michael. There was more confidence in his acting, singing, and dancing during this particular show.

Some of my favorite lines in this scene are when Billy says something to Michael, and Jake responds with a very funny, very high-pitched "That's me!" Another favorite is when Jake delivers the "Time for a look in the mirror" line. So coy and so silly. I love it to pieces.

(The Letter Scene)

Liam's delivery of the Letter Scene was not overtly emotional, but very touching nonetheless. The scene is so strong and so sad, with solid performances from all three: Kate, Leah, and Liam.

I've said before that I'm more of a fan of the "'cept I couldn't wait" line that Dayton and Michael use than the "I opened it a few years early" line that Liam and Trent use. I can understand that the line is supposed to be kind of cute, kind of funny, but the past two times I've seen this line used on Broadway, the line didn't really get a reaction from the audience and fell kind of flat. On this night, however, Liam actually got a few laughs, which helped me to appreciate it more.

(Born to Boogie)

Was happy to see Thommie Retter back as Mr. Braithwaite again. He really breathes a breath of fresh air into the show and is such a joy to watch. He's just so funny!

Jump rope sequence went well tonight. Liam had a bit of trouble when he tried to jump in and join Mrs. Wilkinson when she initially starts jump roping. However, ever the professionals, they both played it off confidently and went on with the scene. The rest of the jump roping went without a hitch, and boy, do they make it look easy! I remember Kate Hennig writing about practicing for this sequence in her blog, and every time I see it done, I have a real appreciation for how much hard work and practice goes into every element of the show. I can't imagine trying to tap and jump rope and act at the same time. Amazing.

Something random: I remember angelenroute (Sean) once wrote in a review:
angelenroute wrote: I'm always waiting, in that instant when he slaps Mr. Braithwaite's head, for Billy to pull off Mr. Braithwaite's hairpiece (since in NY at least it's a hairpiece). I think it'd be a very funny moment.
Nothing of that sort happened during this scene...but there was a rather funny moment that took place during the Finale...

(Angry Dance)

I was interested to see Liam perform this number, as it has been awhile since I last saw him do it. There are certain Billys that get a lot of attention for their amazing performances in Angry Dance, and to honest, Liam blew me away with his performance - just as much as the others did with theirs.

There was so much anger and emotion in this number at this performance. Granted, Angry Dance always has me absolutely enraptured, sitting at the edge of my seat, fists clenched. In terms of my favorite numbers from the show, it's in my top three.

In Liam's performance, the yelling, the cursing, and especially the long, drawn-out yell at the end positively sent shivers through me.

My friend told me during intermission that she was so absorbed and caught up in the scene that she didn't realize how tensed up she was until her foot started cramping.

(Intermission)

During intermission, I looked over at my friend, stared at her with an anticipatory smile on my face and simply said, "So?" All she had to say to me was, "Hooooly sh*t".

Could not have asked for a better initial reaction.

(Deep Into the Ground)

This Thursday was my first time seeing Phil Whitchurch in the role of Dad.

One thing that really caught me during this scene was the way in which Phil sings. Usually, I feel like the verses to "Deep Into the Ground" are sung with a slightly staccato emphasis on each word. Phil, instead, articulates the verses of the song with a more legato style, stringing the words together more smoothly than I've heard done by others. When I heard it at this performance, this special style made the the number seem even more soulful to me.

(Forgive me if this description isn't very clear, I can't seem to find the right words to describe what I mean. :oops:)

Anyhow, the short and short of it is: Phil was fabulous.

(Dream Ballet)

I remember once hearing an interview with Stephen Daldry by Playbill Radio, and in this interview, Stephen noted how the show works especially well when the child playing Billy has really strong ballet technique. As he said, there's something that audiences - regardless of ethnicity, class, or knowledge of dance - all recognize, and this something is an intuitive understanding of the notion of grace. If you can find a child who has this - this intuitive notion of grace - you can just feel it, you just know it's there.

And believe me, when you see Liam dance, you can feel it, and you know it's there.

The Dream Ballet sequence was utterly beautiful. It's here that Liam really shines, and the audience can really see just what amazing ballet technique he has. One thing that had me smiling throughout this entire number was Liam's mega-watt smile that shone brightly through the entire dance. You could really see how much he was enjoying himself, and how happy he was to be dancing.

Liam is a brilliant ballet Billy (opportunity for alliteration totally taken advantage of here, by the way ;)), and this number really shows it.

(He Could Go and He Could Shine)

I feel like I haven't given Will Chase the mention he deserves in my past reviews. So here's a shout out to his wonderful work in portraying Tony. He gives Tony such fiery character, and you can really see how deeply invested he is in the outcome of the strike and the well-being of his community. Both Will and Phil bring such emotion and passion in this scene, and it makes the number so beautiful. As you see these two talented actors interact with each other on stage, you can really feel the conflict in their relationship and how strained it has become since the death of Mum and the start of the strike. Amazing.

I also really love this number because you see how the community really comes together to help propel Billy into his future as a dancer.

(Royal Ballet School)

Phil was SO FUNNY in this scene. He added his own comedic touches to Dad at the Royal Ballet School and got a LOT of laughs for it. For example, instead of fixing his fly in front of the mirrored entrance (as both Greg Jbara and Donnie Kehr did), Phil does this whole bit where he pretends to pick his nose and struggles to rid himself of the bogie on his finger - first trying to flick it off the fingers of his right hand, then his left hand, and eventually ridding himself of the pesky booger by pretending to stretch and wiping it surreptitiously on the wall.

The bit with Easton Smith outside of the school was also hilariously performed, and after the exchange with the lady at RBS about the cigarette, Phil doesn't simply just step through the door. He has Dad accidentally running into the wall before finally struggling to find the actual door on the confusing mirrored set entrance.

This was the first time I've heard the audience applaud after Dad steps off the stage at the end of this scene. Phil really deserved it, though. He was hilarious.

(Electricity)

Electricity was beautiful tonight, as it always is. Liam performed the number superbly, and the beautiful lines he makes with his body were a joy to see on the stage. His sweet, clear voice also works really well in this number, and he received a well-deserved, long applause at the end.

(Post!)

One thing funny about this scene that is unique to Liam's performance is how long he draws out the moment before he finally opens the darn letter! Liam taps the envelope on his hand and fiddles with it for so long that it gets the audience (and certainly Tony) very, very antsy before he finally tears it open to see the results!

(Packing with Dad)

Have always found this scene very cute, to see Dad and Billy folding the clothes together. However, Phil adds just the slightest something extra to it, which made it even more touching to me. At the very beginning of this scene, Phil has Dad very carefully showing Billy how to fold a shirt properly...but only to end up crumpling the shirt up horribly at the last moment and plopping it messily into the suitcase - all with a smile on his face. This little extra comedic touch got a few extra laughs from the audience and was refreshing to watch.

It looks that Phil is already doing a fine job of filling in Greg Jbara's large shoes on Broadway.

(Finale)

Alright, so going back to my note about a funny moment involving Mr. Braithwaite's hairpiece taking place during the Finale... As Thommie Retter stepped out on stage, he accidentally lifted a bit more than just his hat to the audience - both hat and hairpiece separated themselves from Thommie's head and had me in absolute stitches. The funny thing is, the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this happen was angelenroute's (Sean's) old review and comment about the hairpiece. But, ever the professional, Thommie wasn't bothered in the least and continued to dance in the Finale.

You know that awkward moment, right before everyone stands up, where you aren't sure whether you should be the first person to pop out of your seat and begin the standing ovation? Well, my friend was so happy and impressed with the performance that she didn't hesitate for a second and instead popped straight out of her seat with the words, "Heck, I'm standing for these kids - they freaking deserve it!"

Indeed, they do, and the entire cast received a very well-deserved standing ovation from the audience at the end of the performance.

(Post Show and Afterthoughts)

Another ecstatic audience streaming out the theatre after the show. Gotta love hearing the echoes of "Amazing!" and "So good!" in snippets of conversation while filing out of the Imperial.

So far, since returning to the city, I've been seeing this show on pretty much a weekly basis. :shock:

Surely, this can't keep happening....can it?!?
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Your review writing is outstanding.....I will stand up here in front of my computer and clap....
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

cincinnati wrote:Your review writing is outstanding.....I will stand up here in front of my computer and clap....
Bravo Moby-Dick! I couldn't agree with cincinnati more. I'm glad you are getting to see the show so often and then write such wonderful reviews. I've come to look forward to them. You bring the show alive for me.

Liam seems to have grown into the role (as all new Billys are wont to do) and it's really nice to hear how well Phil Whitchurch is filling the role of Dad.
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Wowza, thanks so much for the kind words, cincinnati and porschesrule!

Am being totally honest here, but I really do love writing these reviews (and I'm sure my verbosity is a testament to that fact... :lol:). As much as I enjoy going to the shows, I always look forward to coming back and getting to work on writing about the show and being able to share what I find to be such a marvelous experience with others.

Have always appreciated the wonderful reviews that I've read on the board (both now and in my lurker days) and am trying my best to write some as a thank you to all of you! :mrgreen:

x
M-D
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

Well done from me as well. :D A great read.
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I'm so glad you enjoy writing reviews, M-D. They really make me feel connected to the show. And in this one, I loved hearing your friend's reaction! It's great to know that someone else has become a fan. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Are we downhearted here on the board.......NO...even Seth would say NO as of late....
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Wonderful job, Moby D! Many thanks!

I hate to tell you, but there are several others who see the show nearly weekly. Apparently, it CAN be done!
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Feb 13 Sat. 2PM

Billy-Dayton
Michael-Trevor
SB-Luke
George-David Hibbard

First things first the good, the bad and the funny moments. I left the hotel and I was very late and did not think I would make the show. I wanted to get a cheaper ticket from tickets booth to feed my fix. I ended up getting a free ticket in Orch(s104) from a party of three one of whose husbands was sick(1:45PM). They had tried to give it away before I grabbed it with a big thank you. I have run into some really nice people at BENY. This was their first show and it was a pleasure to sit next to them. I enjoyed talking and hearing their reactions. The bad part of the day left me with a weird feeling about the Imperial Theater. There was a huge line to pick up tickets(valentines or weather). They were still seating a lot people 10 min. into the show. One man said it took 20 min. in line to get tickets. I have always wondered about only two people checking tickets to get in at the seats door. The funny came from David Hibbard as George. When he threw the keys to give to Mrs W. He accidentally sent the 50p coin that Billy gives him with the keys. Dayton ended up taking off one boxing glove to get the coin and the keys.
Shine
The boxing scene has become a favorite for me. Luke with the oversize gloves, the dramatic push-ups and his goodbye to George still makes me laugh. I love Trevor's campy take and Dayton's boxing dance. David as George is a little more violent with the gloves but just as funny in his own way funny. The people around me all enjoyed the ballet girls.
Expressing Yourself
Dayton and Trevor together amazing.

Born to Boogie
Dayton is made for this scene. Beautiful ballet and incredibly fast hand and feet coordination with the jump rope and tapping.
Angry Dance
OK now I am confused as to whose angry dance I love. Dayton and Michael before him do the angry to a T. It also drew a that was intense comment from the lady next to me.
Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher
After seeing the show over 20 plus times it's nice to look at different actors in the scenes. Luke is one who has grow into his role. The small things he does are just great. Donnie Kehr with the accordion accompanying Phil W on Deep into the ground. Dream ballet was as good as ever. I don't know if it's me but I think the flying scene with Billy twirled to the top of the stage deserves applause when Easton points to Billy but last couple of times its been quiet till the end.
Electricity
Dayton has it all ballet, acro and street = an extra long applause that he had to wait out and step back towards dad to end. It did get him to smile and break character just a little.
Company Celebration
I think that every one appreciates the company with Billy at the front gets to show off their tap and choreography. Dayton drew a standing ovation at the end in front of the Billy sign.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor

Return to “Reviews Archive”