February 2010 reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: February 2010 reviews - New York

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
Deep Into The Ground-
Phil has a lovely voice and sings this song with great emotion. He is a different Dad from Greg but still does a nice job. At the end of the song, when he and Billy wish each other Merry Christmas, Phil just stares straight ahead, as if lost in thought. I kept hoping he would look at Billy at some point, but he never does so.

--Chris
I was extremely absorbed in Philip's singing of this number because while he's holding the microphone, he's got a lit cigarette in his hand too. The effect of his sad singing while smoke is flowing upwards near his face made it an extremely effective device for garnering emotion. Well done, Philip!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Weekend of Awesome (part 4: "The Master Himself")

Sun. Feb. 21, 2010 7:30pm -

Billy - Trent,
Michael - Trevor,
Small Boy - Luke,
+ understudys: Grandma - Merle Louise, Big Davey - David Koch

After a weekend of being treated to the extraordinary and diverse talents from Canada and Oz, what better way to cap it off then with the the most senior and experienced of all Billys, the record holder for most performances, Trent!

Before the show we had the pleasure of meeting Trent's dance teacher Dorothy. By chance, she happened to be sitting next to us. :D This was to be the final time she would see Trent as Billy, as she has a conflict on March 7th. Others have called Dorothy a "real life Mrs. Wilkinson". I found her to be a warm and wonderful person.

Lift Me Up-
Trent is taller, even than when I last saw him 10 weeks prior in December. How do these boys grow so fast? I've heard others say he is as tall now as Kiril and David were at the ends their runs. He still has very boyish features though. His voice is different, but still very high and sweet. I found it to be a quite pleasant sound.

Tessa was pretty spastic during "Shine", in additional to her usual spastic starfish routine during "Solidarity".

Kate continues to wow me as she finds new ways, mostly with facial expressions and body language, to show how much Mrs. W. is emotionally invested in Billy's development.

Express-
Trent got a lot of laughs with the "shut up you big poof" line during the chatter between Billy and Michael in the middle of the number. Trevor and Trent did a great job dancing together.

Letter-
Trent sang this beautifully. He had to reach for some of the higher notes but it worked fine.

B2B-
I love how each boy has slightly different moves in this number. The rope skipping was perfect. After Mrs. W. and Billy arranged the time to meet in the morning, Kate gave Trent a big long hug.

Angry Dance-
Rich B said it best: "Just when you thought he couldn’t get any better, he does." Trent has always owned this number, and showed us he still does!

Warming Hands-
Some lights went out during this scene making it darker than usual for a few minutes. Fortunately there was still enough light to see Trevor's antics with the tutu, and the audience still laughed.

Dream Ballet-
Wonderful! Trent's ballet technique has really blossomed during his Billy career.

He Could Go-
A nice strong performance by Will.

Electricty-
Trent sang loud and clear with a nice high pitch. As mentioned above his ballet skills have really gotten strong. His leaps and kicks during this number are impressive. One friend said: "he knows how to find his air". At the finish about half the audience gave a standing ovation.

Overall I would say this performance was of the caliber of one when a major cast member leaves. Unfortunately I can't be there on March 7th, so I guess I have seen Trent as Billy for my final time. --cya Trent!

Chris
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you for the wonderful reviews, Chris. You caught just about everyone except Alex on your great weekend. The weekend has surely given you some lasting memories.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I agree, excellent review...thank you
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
Before the show we had the pleasure of meeting Trent's dance teacher Dorothy. By chance, she happened to be sitting next to us. :D This was to be the final time she would see Trent as Billy, as she has a conflict on March 7th. Others have called Dorothy a "real life Mrs. Wilkinson". I found her to be a warm and wonderful person.
I didn't realize that was Dorothy's last time seeing him perform the role! Dorothy, you should be very, very proud of Trent! We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for training him so well!!! Unlike what Mrs. Wilkinson says of her dance class, you did NOT give him CRAP training! You were and are marvelous!!! =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the compliments guys. It was a thrilling weekend that I won't forget (and my credit cards won't let me forget). Wonderful to see so many fans gathered together, especially the ones I have met on previous visits. Hopefully I will be back sometime in the spring and can catch an Alex performance.

One update for Sean, both Small Boys now call George a 'fat b***ard', instead of a 'w**ker'.
:/
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Feb 24 (8pm special performance for Actors Equity Fund)
Michael D-Billy
Jake- Michael
Luke- SB
David Hibbard- George

The addiction continues for a good cause. :lol: I was able to get a great seat e111. The president of the fund came out about 10 minutes before the show. He thanked the company (For working for free on off night and 9th show of week) and audience for coming to the performance. He explained what the fund does and that this was his fifth time at the show(He loves it}. This drew a round of applause. The audience was a mixture of regular people and those associated with the fund. Everyone was in the mood for a great show.

Stars Look Down
Luke continues to draw the eyes and the ahs at the start of the show. I missed Carole Shelley over the weekend. Her pasty scene and the fried egg started the laughter for the night and it did not stop.

Shine
Tessa(spastic starfish) and BG's leave the audience in amazement and laughter.

We'd go dancing
Everyone loves Carole's grandma even Michael D. From my seat I could see him laughing and smiling at her antics at the end of the song. The people around me love when he kisses her hand at the end.

Solidarity
The clash between the police and miners with the ballet class in between is amazing.

Expressing Yourself
Everyone is amazed by Jake. There is loud laughter and applause threw out.
Letter
Michael's emotion for the letter is even better to see up close. Kate Hennig is just as amazing.

B2B
Not quite perfect with the jump ropes but Thommie still steals the scene. Michael's progression with ballet and the way Mrs W(Kate H) teaches him leave the audience looking for more.

Angry Dance
Blew this crowd away. Michael at the end where he falls to the stage and lets out his last scream. When he got up and brushed himself off to walk off the stage shows incredible emotion. He seemed to do the walk differently this time. He looked back at the audience a couple of times to try and get people to clap him off the stage.

Intermission
I heard from couple behind me why did we not come before.

Merry Christmas
(Oh my god are they really doing this)Laughter is the reaction to the BG"s in Maggie masks, the puppets, George as Maggie and great reaction to giant puppet Maggie. Noticed BGs fighting and laughing over tennis ball(Tessa) during puppet show.
Deep into the Ground
Jake does one thing in this scene differently. He struggles with his coat and lets out f--k when going home.

Electricity
Phil W along with Donnie K(Posh Dad) and Easton(Scottish Dancer)are hysterical every time.
Michael is electrifying :D threw out. Very long applause at end.

Company Celebration
The company was more than ready to give this audience a great ending. We all appreciated it.
Every one around me that I could see more than enjoyed this show. Saw photographer taking photos .
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Yay! Thanks for the review, Musical Fanatic!

Was actually there at the show last night, too (in D-14). It's definitely an addiction...but like you said, it's for a good cause! :lol:

Am currently working on a review for last night's show as well and hope to have it up soonish.

x
M-D
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

thanks for the wonderful review...
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Thanks for the compliments. Its been fun seeing the show and writing the reviews.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor

Return to “Reviews Archive”