Re: February 2010 reviews - New York

Post by Moby-Dick »

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Billy - Michael Dameski
Michael - Jake Evan Schwencke
Small Boy - Luke Trevisan
Dad - Phil Whitchurch
George - David Hibbard

Let's be honest, I'm pretty proud of myself: it's been a solid 20 days since the last time I went to see the show. And speaking from my dangerously addicted perspective, this is a big deal - a real proud accomplishment :lol:. It's been a really rough month, and last night, I decided to retreat back - if only for a matter of hours - into my Asylum of Awesome: Billy Elliot.

(Pre-Show, Imperial Theatre)

Had absolutely no idea that last night's show was a special performance for the Actors Fund when I headed out to the Imperial, but I had a pretty good feeling it was going to be Michael - the only current Billy in rotation that I had yet to see.

Got up to the box office to ask for student rush and was told that - gasp - there would be no student rush because it was a special Actors Fund performance. Heard the news and could feel my face fall. Was about to give up and head forlornly back home when the kind, bespectacled lady at the box office told me that were still partial view seats in the orchestra for the same price as a student rush ticket. Cha-ching! Success.

Had been a bit apprehensive about the quality of the seat (D-14) but had never sat in the orchestra before and was keen to experience the show from a different perspective. (Honestly, the ticket said "Partial View", but I could see almost the entire stage. The only thing I really recall missing is seeing Mr. Braithwaite peek out from behind the door when Dad leaves the hall after blowing up at Billy for doing ballet). Am glad things worked out the way they did because I really, really enjoyed watching the show from where I sat!

(Stars Look Down)

As always, a beautiful and emotional starting number for the beautiful and emotional show that follows it. Sitting so much closer to the stage, I got a really good look at each and every individual that is part of this number and found myself that much more emotionally invested in the well-being of the community as a result. Amazing work from each and every member of the cast in really bringing their individual characters to life in this scene.

(Breakfast Scene)

One thing that made this show particularly and memorably enjoyable was the fact that the audience was so alive! You could feel the energy in the theatre, and everyone seemed really excited to be watching the show. The audience clapped and laughed throughout the entire performance.

When Big Davey received a round of applause after shoving his fried egg sandwich into his mouth, I knew that it was going to be a good show. While it's the general case that the show is made all the more enjoyable by a lively audience, I think that this is especially applicable to people who've seen it more than once. After all, we already know that it's going to be an amazing 2 hours and 50 minutes, but it's all the more fun and exciting when you can literally hear and feel the audience responding and reacting and realizing the amazing experience that is beginning to unfold before them.

(Shine)

Everyone in this scene was amazing.

As patc just wrote in the February Review thread for London about the Ballet Girls,
patc wrote: They do a fantastic job show after show but I truly believe that you have to see Billy more than a few times before you get to fully realise just how good they are. There must be hundreds of hours spent rehearsing all those moves in Shine let alone all their other scenes in the show. There is so much going on at the same time that you couldn't possibly see it all in one viewing.
Each and every one of the Ballet Girls brings out the unique personality of her character, and it's so much fun to watch them perform.

As CJ-Rochester noted, Michael Dameski is just the same height as - or even a tiny bit shorter than - some of the Ballet Girls, making the pushing and shoving in the scene very humorous and believeable.

(We'd Go Dancing)

Ah, the amazing Carole Shelley. Each time I see her perform, I love her even more. She and Michael were great in this scene. Michael's interaction with Carole throughout the song was so fun to watch, as he reacted to everything she did with such carefulness. Especially loved his laughter during the funnier moments of the song. Seated in the audience and seeing Michael's reactions, you couldn't help but enjoy Carole's performance just as much as he was enjoying it.

(Solidarity)

Marvelous, marvelous - as per usual. There's really nothing more that I can say. But seeing this fabulous number from so much closer made it even more powerful than it already is. Michael got an applause for his chaines turns during Solidarity; first time I've seen that happen, which just goes to show how incredibly into the show the audience was last night.

(Expressing Yourself)

As with Carole, every time I see Jake perform, he's better than ever and I love him all the more! Jake and Michael (ack, how confusing with the real "Michael" and the character "Michael"; will make sure to refer to them only by their real names) looked like they were having so much fun during this number. Huge grins and so much energy. Wowza, wowza, wowza.

(The Letter Scene)

So basically, this scene completely blew me away. You know, if that expression were in fact literal, I'd have missed seeing the rest of the show because the emotional power of this scene would have blown me all the way to Mars. Phew! :shock:

Even at the very beginning of this number, you could see Michael's lips beginning to quiver before he began to sing. Upon seeing that, I steadied myself for what I knew would be an intensely emotional delivery...and all I can say is, "Wow". How these boys bring this much feeling and sadness into the scene is beyond me. (The only way I can tear up on the spot is by making myself yawn! :lol:)

The entire scene was entirely heartbreaking, and I saw a lot of people around me wiping away tears. And honestly, after seeing Michael's powerful performance, how could you not?

(Born to Boogie)

Thommie Retter as Mr. Braithwaite? LOVE HIM.

The humor and energy that he brings to this scene had the audience busting their guts with laughter, and lord knows we needed it after the heart-wrenching scene that proceeded it (even Michael was still wiping away his tears at the start of this scene).

Thommie got a well-deserved applause during the break dancing bit that he does during this number. Have always loved it when he does the worm! Another really funny moment during this scene is when Michael hits Thommie on the head; there was an audible SMACK, which had me in stitches.

(The Hoo-Hoo Line)

This line got a lot of laughs last night. Michael really draws out the awkward silence, and during it, he turns his head to the audience with a look of, "Lord help me!" before finally responding to Izzy.

(Angry Dance)

Honestly, what more can I say? Michael was marvelous. Marvelous, marvelous! Sitting up close, I could see his facial expressions during this scene, and they were so passionate and furious. He did an amazing job in this number and had the audience on the edge of their seats until that final, drawn-out scream.

(Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher)

A really fun and energetic scene, as usual. It was quite cool sitting up front, because Carole Shelley made eye contact and really interacted with people in our section. She even threw one of the balls that shoots out of George's canon into the audience (though, it did hit someone on the head!) :lol: The audience began clapping along to the song, which I don't remember happening at any of the other shows I've gone to before.

(Deep Into the Ground)

Phil Whitchurch is so powerful in this scene. His rendition of this number is so soulful and beautiful, and goodness does he have an amazing voice. It was so expressive and emotional.

Also, a random side note: it's probably just me, but whenever I see the can of Boddington's beer that's used in this scene, I always think of that episode from "Friends" where Joey and Ross are talking about how much they miss Boddington's from their trip to London. :lol: Yay for detailed props!

(Winter Scene)

As always, a touching scene. As Musical Fanatic also noted, Jake added a little something to this scene as he is putting on his coat and about to leave Billy in the hall. He picks up his coat and seems to have a bit of trouble figuring it out (perhaps finding the sleeve or something) and mutters, "What the f*ck?" Cheeky little kid! It reminded me of the January 28th performance that I went to with my friends, when Jake did something very similar and let out an unscripted "F*ck!" as he struggled to get ahold of all of his stuff before walking off the stage.

(Dream Ballet)

During this number, people started applauding when Billy first soars into the air, which is the first time I've experienced an audience doing that when I've gone to see the show. Michael and Easton were both so amazing. The lines that Michael makes as he leaps into the air are beautiful and graceful, and his turns are sharp and clean. The audience loved this scene to bits and gave a very long applause after it. Poor Michael had to hold his pose in front of Phil for quite a while!

(Royal Ballet School)

Phil really brings his own subtleties and details to his portrayal of Dad, and the audience ate up every bit of comedy in this scene; and deservedly, he got an applause at the end of it. Since the last time I saw him earlier this month, Phil added another extra comedic touch to the scene. When the audition judges are asking Dad and Billy questions right before electricity and one of them directs the question, "When did you first become interested in the ballet?" to Billy, Phil points to himself and bewilderedly mouths "Me?", which was quite cute.

(Electricity)

For some reason, I absolutely love the one-handed cartwheels that I've see both Aussie Billys do! This entire scene was nothing short of amazing, as it always is. Michael did some amazing flips and acrobatics during this number; I couldn't tell if his flips were no-handed or not, but either way, it looked like his fingers were barely touching the ground. :shock: You could really tell how much Michael put into the scene, because in the scene in the hall immediately following this number, you could hear that he was still out of breath. Hearing this made me that much more appreciative of the sheer amount of energy that goes into the performance and how tiring it much be - these boys make it look so darn easy!

(Once We Were Kings)

On a completely random note, I thought that Tessa looked really cute in this scene, with her funny-shaped hat - you could tell that she had just pulled her hat over her pigtails. :P In my opinion, watching the miners descend into the ground is one of the most powerful moments in the show: the unaccompanied voices, the lights from the miners' helmets shining in your eyes, and the figures descending into the darkness...Phew.

(Letter Reprise)

This scene was just as gut-wrenching as The Letter. One really cute thing that Michael did was, after he sang, he held his head down and covered his face with the letter to hide his crying from his mum. Sitting so close and being able to see the tears glistening in his eyes was so heartbreaking. I think I watched that entire scene with both hands clutching my heart.

(Finale)

One thing that made me happy at the end of the show was seeing an audience so quick to their feet! They gave a standing ovation even before the Finale started!

Michael lost his balance when he was doing the slow tap sequence at the start of the Finale and wobbled a bit. But it was a really cute moment to see a break from the quiet, tenseness of the moment and see the stage light up with Michael's huge smile as he laughed it off. Absolutely adorable!

You could sense a really high level of energy among the cast and audience, and the entire number was so much fun to watch, and to end it all, there was a beautiful, no-handed flip by Michael in front of the Billy sign.

(Post Show)

Have reached that point where I feel like I'm not really watching the show for the story but more to enjoy and appreciate the beautiful, subtle performances of each of the actors in the show. Billy Elliot is such an amazing experience, and coming to see the show after a rough three weeks was a better pick-me-up than I could have ever asked for. I have so much gratitude for the entire cast and am so grateful to be living in this amazing city and being so close to so much talent on Broadway.

x
M-D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Moby Dick,

To borrow one of your very descriptive words - "Wowza!"

You bring the show so alive for me. You must have an eidetic memory to be able to recall, with such vivid detail, so many moments of an almost three hour show.
Moby-Dick wrote:One thing that made this show particularly and memorably enjoyable was the fact that the audience was so alive! You could feel the energy in the theatre, and everyone seemed really excited to be watching the show. The audience clapped and laughed throughout the entire performance.
I so agree with that statement. It makes the theater experience so much better when the people around you are appreciating the efforts of the cast and crew in an excellent show like BETM.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such marvelous reviews. They never fail to give me a better appreciation for this great show.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Great review Moby-Dick! I completely agree with you about how a lively audience can make a show that much more enjoyable.
:/
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Moby-Dick wrote:Wednesday, February 24, 2010

my Asylum of Awesome: Billy Elliot.
What a great phrase!!! I love it!!!
Moby-Dick wrote:(Dream Ballet)

During this number, people started applauding when Billy first soars into the air, which is the first time I've experienced an audience doing that when I've gone to see the show.

I always find that moment to be just as worthy of applause too--and I think the reason I/we don't applaud is because our collective breaths are just taken away in awe. Even though we know it will happen, we just get lost in amazement and enjoyment. =)
Moby-Dick wrote:(Royal Ballet School)

Phil really brings his own subtleties and details to his portrayal of Dad, and the audience ate up every bit of comedy in this scene; and deservedly, he got an applause at the end of it.

I agree, he has so many wonderful touches that make it a very detailed role. Much like with Haydn, it's a privilege seeing this British Billy import take the stage and show us some great stuff!
Moby-Dick wrote:(Finale)

Michael lost his balance when he was doing the slow tap sequence at the start of the Finale and wobbled a bit. But it was a really cute moment to see a break from the quiet, tenseness of the moment and see the stage light up with Michael's huge smile as he laughed it off. Absolutely adorable!

...and to end it all, there was a beautiful, no-handed flip by Michael in front of the Billy sign.

I let out an "aww" at your comment about Michael's huge and adorable smile after the balance thing. =) And I've seen that no-handed flip on YouTube--what thrill! I can't wait to see him perform!
Moby-Dick wrote:(Post Show)

I have so much gratitude for the entire cast and am so grateful to be living in this amazing city and being so close to so much talent on Broadway.

x
M-D
Very well said!!! And awesome review!!! I loved it! =)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

The reviews of Michael's are really good.....I have not been able to see Michael yet...I can speak for Dayton being a real talent. I know for sure Dayton, and from what I am reading, Michael have been a real shot in the arm for BETM. Thanks for the outstanding reviews....
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

I love the detail of your reviews Moby Dick. Awesome!!!
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

As an Australian it is really read to be able to read such detailed reviews of Dayton and Michaels efforts on Broadway.

Keep it up :)
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.

Return to “Reviews Archive”