March 2010 Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

March 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Can't find a thread for March - so here it is. Will provide a review of Monday 1st March tomorrow. Too tired tonight!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
burtond
Michael

Re: March 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Monday 1st March 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Dean Charles Chapman
Michael – Connor Kelly
Debbie – Francesca

Dad – David Bardsley; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seagar; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Chris Hatt.

After a weeks absence from the show it was lovely to be back in the company of Billy Elliot for an evening of wonderful and inspirational entertainment at the Victoria Palace. I am fortunate this evening to be sat with a one of the show greatest supporters and long-standing Forum members so there was plenty to discuss throughout the evening.

It was a typical Monday audience – a little slow at first to react – unsure whether to respond with a laugh or sit quiet – not quite sure whether to applaud or not especially in the opening numbers. Its like this throughout the first act but thankfully in the second act they brighten up/chill out probably as a result of a tipple at the Bar during the interval.

Show highlights for me this evening:

Sparkling performances from the Ballet Girls – their energy and enthusiasm has to be congratulated. Every single one of these talented girls performed with guts and attitude – the squeaks in ‘Shine’ bellowed out into the auditorium almost startling the audience. The sarcasm in some of the opening dance moves are hilarious to watch and it is plain to see how much the team enjoy taking the Michael. I particularly like the bit where Tracy Atkinson and Debbie do their little tap routine coming towards Mrs W centre stage with very deliberate, heavy-footed and totally out of time moves.

I am always in awe of the ‘Solidarity’ number. In my view it is one of the finest bits of choreography that I have ever seen. I could literally sit and watch this piece over and over again. Every time I see it, there is something new. There is so much going on across the stage. Different groups of people – Miners, Police, Ballet Class, Billy, each with their own dancing styles and somehow it is all brought together in a very cohesive, effective and visually impressive way. Looking at it with my musical background it is very much like a piece of complex counterpoint – each bit is a melodic line and stands up on its own merits but when it is brought together, it takes on a totally new dimension with each bit fitting perfectly like a jigsaw. I have to single out Dean Charles though because his solo pieces within the number are beautiful to watch and demonstrate his ballet abilities and potential. The climax of the number makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck and gives me goose pimples – it is exhilarating and I always want to scream and shout with pleasure at the end –and often do!

Mr Braithwaite (Sean Kingsley) was especially entertaining this evening with his tongue in cheek interpretation of the role. This is a character that needs to be watched carefully to get maximum enjoyment as there are lots of instances throughout the show where Sean quietly performs little gems with simple but funny gestures particularly when the main action is focussed elsewhere on stage.

The Finale is yet again a joyous celebration of the show and (even though I am no dancer – ask my wife!) I just want to get up on that stage and join in. Everyone looks as though they are having the best time in the world – and of course the great thing is that is involves absolutely everyone. Great music, great dancing – full of life and even a little bit raunchy! – Now Grandma, is there any need to show us your Bloomers!

Disappointments:

A few problems again with the sound – some important lines were not picked up and there was at least one occasion when cast off-stage could be heard laughing and joking through the audio system.

A number of the Ensemble were missing tonight: Caroline Deverill; Tim Funnell; Shaun Henson (particularly missed his camp stage hand character in the audition scene); David Massey; Neil Reynolds. In my view, this is too high a number to be absent at any one time. Fair do’s if absence is due to sickness but would not like to think that such a high absence is planned as the show does suffer slightly especially in the big numbers.

Anyway, enough for now – don’t want this to become a Thesis!!!! Back at the VP tonight with a far better seat and the potential to see Ollie again if things work out as I anticipate.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

burtond wrote: After a weeks absence from the show it was lovely to be back in the company of Billy Elliot for an evening of wonderful and inspirational entertainment at the Victoria Palace. I am fortunate this evening to be sat with a one of the show greatest supporters and long-standing Forum members so there was plenty to discuss throughout the evening.
Dave, glad to hear you could circumvent the downsizing of your addiction :)

Regards - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

burtond wrote:I am always in awe of the ‘Solidarity’ number. In my view it is one of the finest bits of choreography that I have ever seen. I could literally sit and watch this piece over and over again.
From the number of times you've seen the show, burtond, it would seem you have. :lol: :lol:
Insightful review as always. Thanks.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I've noticed in the London reviews as of late that Joe Caffrey seems to be absent on many occasions. Wonder if he's on an extended vacation at the moment, or are the reviews coincidentally when David Bardsley is performing as Dad ?
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 2nd March 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Ollie
Michael – George
Debbie – Fleur

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seagar; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Matt Malone.

It felt like an out of body experience at times, at other times I simply felt quite disgusted with myself and guilty for ‘peeking’ in on someone else’s life – you know the feeling when your walking by a house and you can’t help but nosey through the window to see what is going on. I’m not crazy (I don’t think) but there was something very real about tonights performance. I have never experienced this before – but real, honest, tangible it was. A documentary not on TV, but played out before our very eyes. Weird, but wonderfully absorbing.

Do you want to see Billy Elliot in person? If there was ever a Billy playing himself then Ollie was this Billy. How old is this guy? Twelve! Unbelievable, he has the natural ability of a seasoned character actor – a natural talent. Not for one minute last night did I feel that I was watching Ollie Gardner playing Billy Elliot, I saw Billy Elliot himself in every single bit of his performance. This was an amazing experience and very real! Ollie has mastered all the attributes of Billy the person delivering each scene with exactly the right emotion – delivering each line precisely as Billy would have delivered it and as Lee Hall (in my view) wrote it. Billy is a wonderful guy – determined to achieve and focussed on his dancing; sensitive and emotional – pining for his departed Mother; funny, happy and excitable – as he lets his hair down with his friends; well rounded and able to cope with everything that is thrown at him. Every conceivable emotion is called upon to portray Billy and Ollie brought out every single one in exactly the right amount. Wow Man – Simply fantastic. A magical performance and Ollie, you captured my imagination totally – I was with you every bit of the way. We talk a lot about Fox’s lovely trademark smile which we often see after his performance of ‘Electricity’ but watch out Fox, the Ollie smile is equally wonderful and we see many examples of this throughout the show demonstrating the childlike innocence and happiness of this Billy character.

There are times when words are not required. Immediately following ‘Solidarity’ I sat and watched Billy’s many and varied facial expressions as Dad barges in with complete horror at the thought of his Boy playing with Girls in tights! Billy is grabbed, pulled and pushed, even as Dad explodes verbally towards Mrs W the looks on Ollies face told the story – vivid and complex they were, no words were actually required.

Judging by the effort and energy that both George and Ollie throw at the ‘Expressing Yourself’ scene it is clear to see that they are simply having a ball. This is a demanding scene physically and in the letter scene which soon follows, Ollie appears absolutely jiggered. I have seen Ollie a number of times and each time, he appears for the letter scene there is sweat running down his face and neck. In many ways, this adds to the passion of the ‘letter’ scene which is played by Ollie and Jo softly, gently and with much expression. Look at Ollie’s face throughout – this guy is feeling every single word that his Mother has written. I was physically moved by the combination of Billy and Dead Mum in this scene. Samantha Seager demonstrates her passion for Billy through her physical closeness and her careful but deliberate placing of her hands on his knees whilst Billy plays loveingly with her hair. The climax of course is that wonderful embrace when Billy seeks to hold his Mother once again. How many times have we imagined holding close or hugging someone dear to us but no longer with us just one more time? At the end of this number, it is the final spoken words that I find most Billy’s have difficulty in delivering i.e ‘…no, she was just me mam.’ Ollie pitches this just right – tinged with sadness without being morbid and this suits the musical background – the ‘Amen style’ cadence.

Our Billy’s have to be made of stern stuff – they get pushed and poked all through the first act. Tonight wasn’t any different in fact I even witnessed one of the Ballet girls giving Billy a hefty kick on his bottom during ‘shine’ – I think had it been me, I may have kicked her back!!!

What more could anyone want from this show. It has all the elements – Slapstick; Comedy; Emotion and Sadness; Satire and High Drama. There is a very powerful and intense moment when Dad is considering crossing the picket line. Joe Caffrey and Craig Gallivan provide a gripping if not emotional ‘edge of the seat’ episode as they wrestle and struggle with each other – this is not play acting with highly specified and rehearsed moves – it is real!

I was sat next to an older gentleman tonight – he had B15. He is a friend of the family of Luke who played Tall Boy and was there to collect him after the show. It is only by talking to this man that you appreciate the commitment the youngsters and their parents have to make to this show. I then found myself absorbed in what contribution Luke made within the show itself. I’ve never noticed this before but the role of the Tall boy is not insignificant. There are plenty of appearances and a good number of lines to recite. How important they are – I’ll certainly look at them in a totally different light from now on.

Disappointingly, the Theatre was (in my view) only 50% full this evening with the Grand Circle closed. There were plenty of stall seats unoccupied but nevertheless, what the audience lacked in numbers, they made up for with appreciative applause, shouts, screams and woos and plenty of laughter.

So ask me what I thought of tonights show – absolute Magic. Wonderful. I give it 10/10 without hesitation. Great work everyone.

David Burton
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Loved reading the two reviews you posted, burtond!!
burtond wrote: What more could anyone want from this show. It has all the elements – Slapstick; Comedy; Emotion and Sadness; Satire and High Drama.
V. true. And I think that's exactly why it has so many of us returning time and time again to see it. There's just so much goodness rolled into a single show!

Thanks again for the reviews! :mrgreen:

x
M-D
MDB
Tall Boy

Post by MDB »

[quote][/quote
Disappointingly, the Theatre was (in my view) only 50% full this evening with the Grand Circle closed

Shocked ! :o Tried to get tickets yesterday and not one single available... Is it a Weekday thing?
UBIQUE
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Because ticket agencies are involved in the selling of tickets and they have an allocation, it is not as simple as calling the VP Theatre. They may have sold out but the various ticket agencies may still have part of their allocaton to sell. I'm afraid that you have to cal around the agencies individually to ascertain what the situation is.
MDB
Tall Boy

Post by MDB »

burtond wrote:Because ticket agencies are involved in the selling of tickets and they have an allocation, it is not as simple as calling the VP Theatre. They may have sold out but the various ticket agencies may still have part of their allocaton to sell. I'm afraid that you have to cal around the agencies individually to ascertain what the situation is.

Noted..Thanks
UBIQUE

Return to “Reviews Archive”