March 2010 Reviews - London

jacob
Ballet Girl

Re: March 2010 Reviews - London

Post by jacob »

Tom, Connor Kelly, Francesa

It was such an emotional night that description is virtually impossible. I was almost overwhelmed even before the pre curtain appearances of Stephen D, (Sir)Elton and Lee Hall. Thank you Elton for reminding us that the story is as much about the Miners as about Billy Elliot. Seeing all the older Billys around the theatre before the Show reminded me of the journey that Billy sets out on. These boys have all travelled on in different directions since they left. Different haircuts :) and different ambitions. Not all will continue in performing arts.
The final finale is best described by the pictures and hopefully we will soon access the films that were shot. Thank you for including the Michaels :D
A big thank you to Tom who was magnificent. What a challenge to perform in front of all those earlier Billys which could have invited comparisons from some quarters. You so deserved your ovations and you played a big part in the success of the night.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Meagan312
Ballet Girl

Post by Meagan312 »

hopefully we will soon access the films that were shot.
I really really hope so! I was very sad thinking about how I was missing out on the fun :cry: , why oh why must London be so far away from Melbourne.
Aus
22.03.09 - Michael.Joel.Isabelle
14.06.09- Josh D.Landen.Nina
UK
2.10.09 - Brad.Connor D.Francesca

It's like that there's a music playing in your ear, and I'm listening and I'm listening, and then I dissapear
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

jacob wrote:The final finale is best described by the pictures and hopefully we will soon access the films that were shot.

There was some footage on GMTV in the UK Thursday morning, showed bits of the 'Billy Megamix' with some interviews

I expect someone recorded it...

Jon
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Totallly agree - I think last night was my best ever experience in the 93 shows I have seen.
From start to finish, it was sheer perfection. Atmosphere was immense. Lovely speeches. Fantastic cast. Great to see so many familiar faces from the forum.
As for the finale - wow wow wow. It went so fast, felt surreal. Absolutely mind blowing. Want to see it all over again.
Lovely as always to mingle after with cast/fans - got nice photos of Connor K and Tom. Unfortunately, didnt get another one of my Barnaby.
Massive well done to Tom, Connor and Fran - you were all spectacular. Must have been a lot of extra pressure on them, performing in front of past cast members, but they all did a remarkable job.
Well done to everyone involved in last nights efforts - the cast, crew, tech staff, VPT staff, families - it was an unforgettable experience which has made every single person that was there last night very very happy.
Will be virtually impossible to beat in future anniversaries xxxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Hello everyone

Thanks for making me welcome last night on such a special occasion.

It was great to meet some of you long established forum members at last, I’m very glad I joined now instead of just reading the forum. Looking forward to many more Billy experiences.

Well done to everyone at the VP involved in last nights efforts and especially Tom, Connor & Fran who all did a fantastic job given the added pressure they must have been under with a whole load of former cast members watching. The entire show from start to finish last night was just great.

Wow wow wow! what a night, what an atmosphere, what a great show & what a fantastic finale – I want to see it again as it seemed to go by so quickly.
But seen all those Billys on stage together was just awesome.
Beforehand I kept thinking, please please please, do this right and let James, Liam & George be on their own first when the curtain goes up. – and then it happened – the original 3
I had goose bumps – one of the best Billy moments ever & one of those moments I will never forget.

Afterwards for those waiting outside in the cold in front of the VP until god knows what time in the morning we were rewarded
with a few former Billy’s appearing, including Travis, Olly Taylor, James, Liam & George.
My evening was made when I had the chance to speak to Olly, George, James & Liam (my favourite Billy) for a while and getting all three of the original Billys autographs on the 5th Birthday programme and a few others. It completed an amazing evening that I will never forget.

Once again thanks for a great night everyone and for making we welcome to the Billy madhouse.

(apologies to Billy Whiz and others as I never got the chance to say goodbye properly last night as I ended up getting bundled into a taxi – then getting pushed out of it (long story) and having to chase the thing into Victoria station.

Cheers
Keith
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

You could try to find the words but you wouldn't succeed. It was really all about emotions and feelings and they were many and varied right from early afternoon as the fans gathered around the theatre to catch a glimpse of former cast as they came and went. For those, like me, who missed the first three it was a question of standing in awe seeing those three legends for the first time as they stood at the door they first entered at the very beginning of this great adventure. George, James and Liam, what great stories I have heard of them from fans who were there from the beginning.

When all the formalities had been completed Tom Holland strode on to the stage to give the performance of his life, the current Senior Billy, pulling out all the stops to enthral celebs, fans and "ordinary" punters alike. His fantastic hybrid Electricity that we regulars have seen him develop since he first started in the role took on an incredible energy and he absolutely nailed it to the floor. Everyone was on their feet including Lee Hall who was sitting a couple of rows behind. During this I wondered what the "old guard" sitting at the back were thinking. Were they wishing they were still around or just admiring the fruits of their pioneering performances of five years ago.

Under "normal" circumstances at the end of a Billy show your emotions are all over the place anyway but when the curtain came down after the Finale what followed was the most emotional experience I've had at the VPT. On Tuesday evening one of the adult cast had warned us, without giving any details, that we'd be in floods of tears. As the curtain rose again and the music started, George, James and Liam came "out of the mist" to the front of the stage wearing the famous Billy shirts. It was just too much. Then the hammer blow as 19 Billys, similarly dressed, came forward, so many of them having grown so tall from when we last saw them. The magnificent, powerful yet graceful display of dancing that followed I saw but it was through such streaming eyes that I hope and pray that it is going to be released publicly to enjoy all over again. This was the business. They can never better it.

I'm glad, now, that I didn't stay on in London today to see the usual Thursday Matinee. It will take at least a week to recover emotionally from the 5th Birthday show. It was that powerful.

The Billy Boys, no doubt, will all disperse sometime today but they leave behind so many special memories that they will remain legends forever.

Pat
PaulT
Small Boy

Post by PaulT »

Spot on Pat. Now where's my hankie.
Friar on old forum
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

5TH BIRTHDAY PERFORMANCE.

Billy Tom
Michael Connor
Debbie Francesca

As far as I could see it was all the normal adult cast. There was a real buzz to the theatre. I don’t think there could have been that many first timers there, or possibly people who had no knowledge that it was a very special performance. At the start Stephen Daldry came on to great cheers. He introduced himself and then spoke briefly. He then introduced Lee and Elton who came on through the side door. They all spoke about their Billy experiences.

The show seemed to go with a swing from the start with all the cast just putting in that extra bit of effort. I was very impressed with all the young cast. Tom gave it his all. A very emotional letter scene. Connor was a great Michael very comical and good use of facial expressions. Francesca was very good and to me I felt her diction was wonderful you could hear every word, again very good use of facial expressions. Infact the diction from all the young cast was some of the best I have heard for some time. Just loved Anne Emery she will be such a loss to the show when she leaves she is clearly loved by all especially the young cast. The whole show seemed to go very quickly it was nice to see a few members of the forum in the interval. Think all the VIPs must have gone to a private bar in the interval as there was no sign of them. Noticed in the second half that there were a lot of people standing at the back they must have been either part of the Production Company or possibly staff members. The show built up to the climax. Loved Tom’s smile as he got the standing ovation at the end of Electricity it was the only time he broke out of role.
After a very good curtain call the climax of the evening came. I noticed one of the adult cast slip to the side of the stalls through the stage pass door and just stand and watch. Firstly the original three came on took a bow together and then separate ones. Loved the way they just looked to each other for support and friendship just like they did in those very early pictures of them. The classic pose with George in the middle and Liam and James either side. Liam now the tallest, and George the shortest. Then the whole thing started it all went by so fat you could hardly see what was happening. Understandably everyone wanted to stand up including me but being quite short I did miss quite a bit. I have been grateful for all the clips. Hopefully some day we might see the professional one. At the end big bangs and lots of confetti type paper shooting down on the audience. Here is a fact sad but true I did pick up some of the paper to take home it is now sitting in an envelope until I decide what to do with it. Show finished quite late it was 11pm by little Ben as I crossed the road to Victoria station. Would have loved to have stayed for a while but an early start for work the next day. Still managed to get home in record time. It was a wonderful experience that I wouldn’t have wished for words. It was also great that the company didn’t take advantage of the theatergoers by charging extra for tickets instead you got your normal midweek reductions on the tickets. Roger Foss on LBC on Thursday morning said this was a real party for the fans, cast and friends of the show. Heres to lots more anniversaries.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Rasputin
Audience Member

Post by Rasputin »

Thursday, April 1st

I went to both shows this day and I just wanted to state that there was still some confetti left over from the 5th anniversary show last night because during the snowing scene (when Dad visits Mrs W.) some of the confetti fell with the snow. Those who weren't "in the know" were probably wondering why there was big rectangular colored snow mixed in with the regular snow!!

There was also a couple of ballons stuck up in the ceiling. At one point one of them "fell" to the right side of the stage at the end of the angry dance in the evening show. As Rhys walked off the stage he picked it up. I thought he should have still been "angry" and kicked into the audience!

Return to “Reviews Archive”