March 2010 Reviews - NYC

cincinnati
Tall Boy

Re: March 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by cincinnati »

Saturday, March 27th
Billy – Liam Redhead
Michael – Trevor Braun
I am sorry this review is one week late but I have had a very busy week of travel and just now have a little spare time to write this.
Let me wish all of the fellow BETM fans Happy Passover and Easter and hope that good things come in every way.
My trip into New York City was quite a quick one arriving in the afternoon and a flight out in the A.M. Sunday. I had a quick bite to eat with a cast member between the two Saturday shows, and along with the attending the evening show, was a welcome reprieve from my hectic work travel schedule.
I want to try a different format in expressing my thoughts and views of this performance this time and see how it reads.
I have seen the show now 21 times, but somehow I have found myself enjoying the show even more as of late. This is quite ambiguous to me as I thought after the “Living Legend” Kiril and Billy Elliot himself Trent Kowalik left; I would lose some interest and return to my old pastime in New York of watching the Yankees and Mets.
The eccentric side of me since I was a child was to observe the other people around me and my heavens; the Imperial is sure a venue for a wide spectrum of a gumbo of sociology.
This show would not disappoint as the patrons around me were quite interesting with their conversation and reactions during the show. It never fails that at least someone within an earshot of where I sit, (center orch. Row A through E) have never seen a Broadway play it seems. The conversation is mostly centered on how these kids do this type of show night after night. The real phone of crowd observation to me is the following that never seems to bring a gasp, an ohhh or an Ahhh.
(A) When the small boy stands by himself on the stage at the opening, never fails to bring a reaction.
(B) Billy singing “Take Me Up”….you hear the “Wows”
(C) Solidarity…..new patrons are in awe of this number, (My opinion the best musical number since “Corner of the Sky” in Pippin.)
(D) Angry Dance
(E) Dream Ballet
(F) Electricity, by the time this number hits the boards, the newcomers are like butter in their seats…
This show I was sitting next to a family with two very well behaved young children who were very eager for the show to start. They asked numerous questions and once the show started became a part of it themselves with each number. Two elderly couples sat on the other side and wept twice, stood and cheered twice and smiled like they had won the lottery a half of dozen times. Those reactions cannot be bought anywhere in the United States for a $250 ticket like BETM can deliver.
I want to say that I might be wrong but I felt strongly that some of the arrangements had been ever so slightly altered with more guitars and perhaps another horn. The guitar sounded so great, I really enjoyed it.
I have to say that I was hoping to see Alex Ko or Michael Dameski, as I have not been able to catch either one of these two talented individuals to this date. I will fix that in a few weeks with a mini-thon of sorts if I can’t catch them this week when I go back to NYC. I have seen Liam Redhead twice before and this being my third time I can honestly say that he has progressed nicely since my first show with him. Liam provides a workman like performance of the part; he delivers his line in a clear voice with the proper timing. Liam’s singing voice is solid and pure, while his dance has improved nicely.
Carole Shelley gave a “bring the house down” style performance in this show; she had the crowd eating out of her hands by the ending of solo. Carole really was on her game this night, and she noticeably looked like she was enjoying herself. I maintain that this lady and Thommie Retter are the background concrete that are the foundation for this show.
Philip Whitchurch I had not had the pleasure of seeing up until this show. I must say that I was beyond impressed with this wonderful talent, his acting skills and timing of lines along with the proper facial expression. This was a totally different take on the role of Jackie than the “fourth down and one yard to go” style of the great Gregory Jbara. Philip was drop dead funny with his take on the Royal Ballet scene. With all respect to Mr. Jbara, I really loved Mr. Whitchurch’s take on Jackie.
Ballet Girls to me never get the credit they deserve, they are like the Maytag commercial, they don’t break; they just keep working and delivering the goods. The great Tessa Netting is like the queen bee of this group, and they couldn’t be in better hands.
Kate Hennig has done something I didn’t think I could ever do. I actually like her better than Hayden, Kate is so good in this role, the facial expressions and timing are outstanding.
This brings me to a point that I really feel strongly about, Trevor Braun. Trev to me could tell all of us what it would feel like to be President Harry Truman following President Roosevelt, or Jack Burns following Don Knotts. Trev came into the show in the footsteps of another legend, David Bologna. It is so unfair to this bundle of Broadway talent, (Trevor) to compare him to David but most do, (me included) and not even be cognitive of it. Trevor is really good in this role for sure, you can watch Trevor closely and it is easy to see that Trev might enjoy performing in BETM as much as any of this cast. This role (Michael) has had some really good talent in the likes of David, Frank Dolce and Keean Johnson. I consider Trevor Braun as someone who is dedicated and a pleasure to watch.
I am crossing my BETM fingers and have the Imperial’s best friend, (my American Express card) ready to go this week in hopes of seeing Ko, Dameski or Clemente in the role of Billy this week.
Until next week…….’”SPIN THEM MR. BRAITHWAITE”
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Thanks for the review, cincinnati! Glad to hear that you were able to make it into the city and catch a performance of BETM. Have always enjoyed reading your thoughts and reflections on the show.
cincinnati wrote:I have seen the show now 21 times, but somehow I have found myself enjoying the show even more as of late...
Isn't that the beauty (and annoyingly addictive attribute) of this wonderful show? Not only is seeing it one time not enough - but the darn thing gets ever better the more times you go see it. Talk about fodder for addiction. :lol:
cincinnati wrote:Philip Whitchurch I had not had the pleasure of seeing up until this show. I must say that I was beyond impressed with this wonderful talent, his acting skills and timing of lines along with the proper facial expression. This was a totally different take on the role of Jackie than the “fourth down and one yard to go” style of the great Gregory Jbara. Philip was drop dead funny with his take on the Royal Ballet scene. With all respect to Mr. Jbara, I really loved Mr. Whitchurch’s take on Jackie.
As I've only had the pleasure of seeing Greg Jbara once in the role of Dad before Phil Whitchurch came to fill in for the role, I wouldn't be able to make a good comparison of the two actors. Hopefully will be able to see more of Greg's performances when he returns, but in the meantime, I must concur with you: Phil Whitchurch is awesome!! Have enjoyed his take on Dad in the Royal Ballet School scene (as well as all of his other scenes, of course!) each time he's done it, and it's been fun to try and see what he does in each performance to add his comedic touch. He will certainly be missed when Greg makes his return to Broadway.
cincinnati wrote:The eccentric side of me since I was a child was to observe the other people around me and my heavens; the Imperial is sure a venue for a wide spectrum of a gumbo of sociology...This show I was sitting next to a family with two very well behaved young children who were very eager for the show to start. They asked numerous questions and once the show started became a part of it themselves with each number. Two elderly couples sat on the other side and wept twice, stood and cheered twice and smiled like they had won the lottery a half of dozen times. Those reactions cannot be bought anywhere in the United States for a $250 ticket like BETM can deliver.
People-watching is definitely another of the amusing activities to do before, during, and after the show, as it is so satisfying to see the delighted reactions of those around you. Makes the performance that much more enjoyable, I say. :mrgreen:

Hope you get the chance to catch performances by some of the other Billys next time you are in New York! Looking forward to reading more of your reviews.

x
M-D
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Writing from work, so will have to write just the beginning of my review now and more another time later today or tomorrow...I just wanted to force myself to get it started.

Wednesday March 31st, 2010

Billy: Michael Dameski
Michael: Jake Evan Schwencke

This was my 13th time seeing the show and the end is not only not in sight, it's not ever going to happen. I will see this show as often as my wallet allows for as long as I possibly can. If I die before the show stops running, I will be in Heaven watching the show every "day".

My guest this past week was my friend Christian from Germany. He and I met through a Billy Elliot MOVIE fan group over 8 years ago and have been online friends since. This was our FIRST TIME meeting ever (our first time like ya know) and we spent the week seeing NYC together. On Wednesday the 31st, we saw Billy Elliot The Musical together on his birthday (his first but not last time seeing it). We spent much of his week in New York quoting lines from the movie to each other in as authentic an accent as we could (even though English is his second language, he did even better than me!) and after he saw the musical, we both added lines from that to our dialogue as well. By the time I dropped him to the airport on Saturday afternoon, I was overcome with emotion and couldn't even speak I was so sad to be letting him go again. As I drove away, I sobbed uncontrollably, wiping away tears so that I could avoid hitting cars. The next day I apologized online for being such a BFW, one of the phrases we quoted to each other from the movie. To give you a hint, it's what Tony calls Dad as Billy runs back to say goodbye to Michael. =)

This was my first time seeing Michael Dameski and Jake Evan Schwencke (still need to see Liam, Dayton, Alex and Jacob). I loved them both! Such different characterizations of each part than I've seen from anyone else! And it's been about 9 months since I've seen a short version of Billy, so that was a nice change too. =)

Before I go on, I have to say how special it felt even from thousands of miles away, to be seeing Billy Elliot performed in the Imperial on Wednesday at 2 PM while at the same time across the pond such a special show was underway at the Mother Church! I felt the connection and the solidarity in the air at The Imperial. And while I'd have chosen to be at the Victoria Palace Theatre if I could have, Wednesday's show at The Imperial was the second best place on Earth that day!

Alas, I'm back to work today and it's almost 5 PM and I have plans after work with friends, so I have to stop for now. Sorry! To be continued. =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, Sean. Looking forward to the second installment. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

As always, Sean, a great review. It leaves one in anticipation for the rest to follow :)
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

...continued...

The day BEFORE the show, on Tuesday the 30th, I had brought Christian into the city despite the rain so I could show him some of the sights like Times Square. Monday was a total washout and his luggage which should have come with him from Germany to Dublin to New York had been sent on to Boston after he changed planes in Dublin. If the luggage was across the ocean in Dublin, he would have gotten it back by Monday evening. But because it was just a few hours away, he would not get it back until Tuesday via FedEx to my house on Long Island. And I'm only a short 15-minute drive from JFK too! Don't even try to figure that one out! :D Anyway, Monday he was wearing some of my partner Andy's clothes because they have a somewhat similarly svelt shape (ST5X) and so by Tuesday when his luggage arrived, it was time to just start seeing NYC, even if it was rainy. We couldn't decide on a good Italian place so we settled for Olive Garden, which I assured him was not authentic but is usually tasty. Side note to this side note: He'd never seen one of those light-up vibrating discs that restaurants give you to hold to let you know when your table is ready. Despite Germany's technological and economic superiority in many ways, that one hasn't crossed over. I think it's just because they're more sophisticated and more patient than we are in America. =) I'm sorry, my digressions are digressing...

At the bar at Olive Garden, the bartender asked the woman to my left what brought her to New York and Times Square. She told him she's a university teacher from Dallas and while her students were in meetings for some conference in town, she was trying to see a few shows. I asked her which shows, of course hoping she'd mention Billy, but she didn't. But she was seeing West Side Story and A Little Night Music, so I didn't slight her. She mentioned another too but I can't remember the name. I said, "Not Billy Elliot?" and she smiled and said no, not this trip unfortunately. I told her my story of how Christian and I met back in 2002 online because of the movie and how now we'd finally met in person and would be seeing the show together for his first time and my 13th. She was delighted for us and was interested in my take on the show and why I keep going back.

I mustered up something like, "Well, I don't know, it's just a very charmed show, there's just something extra special about it. Part of it of course is the dancing and the choreography, especially since Billy keeps getting better as the show goes on. I think any show that has the main actor performing better and better throughout as they learn how to do something makes for a really great show and Billy does this too. I mean in the beginning he's stumbling over onto the floor but by the end--wow!" I'm sure my facial expressions, the glint in my eyes and my smile gave away my love for the show too. I encouraged her to see it, to somehow squeeze it in before her trip ended, and assured her that she can get discounted partial view orchestra seats that would still be a great enough view. I don't know if she ended up going but I hope she sees it at some point.

The next day before the show began, a woman sat down in front of us with her father and her son. She asked me at one point how long the show would go for and I told her about 3 hours all total but worth every minute of it. "Have you seen it before?" You can all tell how the rest of that conversation went as you've had the same one (or soon will).

Michael Dameski's Billy is a little angrier than I usually prefer, but not in any way out of character for Billy. He may not smile often or for very long, but he portrays Billy as a tough kid from a tough town during a tough economic time. Michael's Billy is dark but in an exciting way. Theatre patrons come to see a show about a kid who dances, and the darker side of Billy only enhances the overall effect the show has on the audience. Somehow seeing a tough kid from a mining town in northern England overcome obstacles and secretly take ballet lessons is more evocative an experience than just seeing some boy from the suburbs do the same.

Michael speaks very clearly and his brooding temperament and angry-young-man movements are always in sync with his dialogue, whether through a simple "ow" or an earth-shattering scream. Speaking of screams...

I can't go on any further without just jumping to his Angry Dance. If decorum were not expected and composure was available, the appropriate response after witnessing Michael Dameski's Angry Dance could be put this way:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu**ing Hellllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're just sitting there in your seat breathless to begin with but then not just a little scared by the end too. Not only has he completely captivated you with his movements, he has shook you to the core of your being with the longest scream you can imagine to end the number. You don't even want to clap or cheer because he is still in the moment and has screamed not just at the police or at life but at you as well. And as he stands up and brushes himself off he glares at you with such anger and disgust, even pausing to walk away but looking back at you still. Finally, ultimately, breathlessly, you come to your senses and begin to applaud and cheer with shock at what has just happened before you and what has just happened to you.

Okay. Regroup, Sean, you've got more to write.

As the lights came up for intermission, the woman in front of me turned back around and said, "You weren't kidding!" Her father told me that his other daughter was working with Elton John right now on a project, I think some animated movie but I'm not sure. They were all very impressed with the show.

Jake Evan Schwencke. Even his name points to the personality behind him. An adult in a child's body, Jake has a "knowing" you wish you had. He just looks soooooooooo comfortable on stage that you don't even think twice about whether he knows his part inside and out. There's an elvish impishness to his face that is just adorable and his eyes sparkle with a universe-understanding knowledge you can't quite put your finger on but again, wish you had as well. His Michael is more confident than some others not by example of craziness but in the quietly confident way he presents his character on stage. Where some might add a "c'mon" to Billy to move him along like when he tells him to look in the mirror, Jake just smiles and waves him over and you just feel that he not only owns the stage but owns Billy as well. He's the type of actor, it seems, that might be difficult to act with because you're always seeing your friend Jake smiling at you and not just the character that your character is acting with.

When they put on their tap shoes for Express, the boys seemed like Jake had beat Michael for the very first time. I have no idea if this is true or not, but Jake seemed absolutely thrilled with himself and I thought I heard him say, "first time!" with a really big smile. =) Very cute. Later on after Electricity when they're in the soup kitchen, Jake gives Michael D. some of his soup with a smiley look that can only be described as absolutely precious. =) Shows such a loving adoration he has for his friend Billy.

Back to Michael and his Electricity. His dancing is spectacular, really incredible and you can tell he's been with the show for a long time already between Australia and the U.S. His timing is great, his moves are varied and, well, electric, and he is wonderful to watch perform. One other man and I gave him a standing ovation after it and others may have joined too although it didn't seem like anyone in front or left or right of me did. Michael stayed in end pose but looked over at me when I stood and though part of me felt like he was breaking character, it also gave me a huge rush of feeling like I was part of the show...as if Billy had gotten one of the judges to stand and applaud too. =) And it reminded me of times in live theatre when others have given a standing ovation when I did not. I have often been too shy to give a standing ovation but am as often very appreciative that the stars are getting one from someone else. Still, he very much deserved it and I was happy to help. At show's end when Michael stood in front of the BILLY sign, the entire audience stood as one to give him a huge ovation. He is a wonderful Billy and if you see him perform you will love him!

When Jake came out for his final bow at the curtain call/encore, I gave out a big whoooo for him. The woman in front of me turned at that point and said, "He was great!" She said it in a way that made me feel like she wanted me to tell him for her. :lol: It's funny that people think I have connections when it's the furthest thing from the truth. =)

As we left the theater, a random 70-something year-old woman smiled at me and I asked her if she enjoyed the show. "I loved it!" she beamed. I told her it was my 13th time seeing the show and she grabbed her husband's arm and pointed to me. "He's seen the show 13 times!" He smiled at me and said, "I can see why, it was fantastic!"

Christian loved the show too, by the way, although he's more of a thinker type and not an emotions-driven guy like me, so he said he needed to process it all. He's seen Billy Elliot the movie more than any other, and though he originally saw it in German, he's since only watched it in English. He quotes the movie with perfect accents and really loves the story. So seeing the musical finally has brought him back to square one. He said he feels like he knows the movie so well and the musical is just different enough to really make him step back and go wow. He's not ready to gush yet but assured me he really loved it.

Christian is also not a big theatre goer but after we got home later that day, he was asking me if there was a soundtrack he could buy and if there were any video clips of the show so he could see parts of it again. When I did show him some scenes at home and another Billy (TK who I love) was in the video, he told me after that he preferred "our Billy" as in Michael Dameski. So I feel like I've done my job well enough. ;)

Okay, I'll stop there. Thanks for reading and sorry for all the fluff outside of the show itself. =)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

angelenroute wrote:Thanks for reading and sorry for all the fluff outside of the show itself. =)
Not at all, Sean. All that "fluff" as you put it is what I feel makes your reviews great! I love them!

I especially like your comments about the other peoples' reactions around you. The side story about Christian, your relationship with him, and his reactions to seeing the show for the first time, to me were there highlight of this review.

Great job as always. Thanks for taking the time to write such thoughtful and well written reviews.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, Sean. If I can't be there, then your reviews are the next best thing!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

angelenroute wrote:

...continued...

Michael Dameski's Billy is a little angrier than I usually prefer, but not in any way out of character for Billy. He may not smile often or for very long, but he portrays Billy as a tough kid from a tough town during a tough economic time. Michael's Billy is dark but in an exciting way. Theatre patrons come to see a show about a kid who dances, and the darker side of Billy only enhances the overall effect the show has on the audience. Somehow seeing a tough kid from a mining town in northern England overcome obstacles and secretly take ballet lessons is more evocative an experience than just seeing some boy from the suburbs do the same.

Michael speaks very clearly and his brooding temperament and angry-young-man movements are always in sync with his dialogue, whether through a simple "ow" or an earth-shattering scream. Speaking of screams...

I can't go on any further without just jumping to his Angry Dance. If decorum were not expected and composure was available, the appropriate response after witnessing Michael Dameski's Angry Dance could be put this way:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu**ing Hellllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're just sitting there in your seat breathless to begin with but then not just a little scared by the end too. Not only has he completely captivated you with his movements, he has shook you to the core of your being with the longest scream you can imagine to end the number. You don't even want to clap or cheer because he is still in the moment and has screamed not just at the police or at life but at you as well. And as he stands up and brushes himself off he glares at you with such anger and disgust, even pausing to walk away but looking back at you still. Finally, ultimately, breathlessly, you come to your senses and begin to applaud and cheer with shock at what has just happened before you and what has just happened to you.

Okay. Regroup, Sean, you've got more to write.

Sean
Sean that's what has addicted me to Michael's performances. You express perfectly what I have felt and seen over the last month.
Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the great review Sean. We love your fluff and emotions. ;) I echo what the others have said. Michael and Jake are both incredible talents.
angelenroute wrote: When I did show him some scenes at home and another Billy (TK who I love) was in the video, he told me after that he preferred "our Billy" as in Michael Dameski. So I feel like I've done my job well enough. ;)
I think most people will have a special fondness for their first Billy, especially if you are comparing a live performance with a video. It's great to hear Christian had such a nice time for his first visit to NY and his first Broadway show. Now there is talk about a future German production of BETM. Perhaps you will have a chance to see the show again with Christian on his turf.
:/

Return to “Reviews Archive”