April 2010 Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

April 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Where is the year going?
March has gone and here we are at the beginning of April after a mind-blowing 5th Anniversary Show last night.
Going to see the first show of April today and will catch up with a review asap thereafter.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
burtond
Michael

Re: April 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Thursday 1st April 2010 – UK – London - Matinee

Billy – Dean Charles Chapman
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Fleur

Dad – Joe Caffery; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Rhona McGregor; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Chris Hatt

Time to play catch up now – what a wonderful week it has been for BETM starting with Fox’s Finale on Saturday; the 5th Anniversary show which introduced me to a whole new array of remarkable Billy’s that I have not had the privilege to see perform in the role – It has just dawned on me what I have missed out on! But hey! Back to reality now and beginning of a new month and a new year in the life of BETM.
After the razzmatazz and glitz of the Anniversary show, I was worried that the Matinee performance on Thursday would be a bit of a let down, almost a low key performance with a lot of party tired cast simply going through the motions. How wrong could I have been. The Matinee performance was bright, lively and as animated as any of the best shows I have seen.

It was lovely to see Dean in the role of Billy. His performance is highly confident and a little cocky throughout, but quite refreshing when compared to his Billy piers. He is quite precise in everything he does including his singing, acting and his dancing. His gestures, stances and posture are quite deliberate and hard edged in places but conversely, his Ballet moves including a delicately choreographed electricity was beautifully crafted in one continuous flowing virtuoso solo dance – delicate, sensitive yet magically inspirational and entertaining. Dean has excellent body lines in the various stances and positions that look totally natural and are carried out perfectly in an effortless manner – well done Dean – masterful.

My favourite scene of the afternoon has to be the boxing scene headed up by the versatile David Nellist. What made this scene (which I have seen so many times before) different was the pace and attack afforded to the dialogue and action. To be fair, everyone involved in the scene including Tall and Small Boys, Billy, Michael and George were 100% in tune with each other - the timing of the lines and the moves were perfection indeed and this provided for a more farcical and hilarious than usual episode.

One very out of the ordinary experience in the matinee today which I have never witnessed before was a round of applause in the final scene when Billy offered Michael a kiss. Amazingly, this wasn’t an uneasy or embarrassing act which sometimes happens and manifests itself in the form of a titter here and there, this was an actual appreciative and strong act of approval from an open-minded audience – it was a very nice experience altogether to be part of that – faith in human nature restored yet again!

One final word – we sat 1/3 of the way back in the stalls for the afternoon performance and the show does take on a different perspective from that position. The truth is that the experience you will get of BETM does depend on whereabouts you sit in the auditorium. I would always recommend a seat in the Dress Circle once to get the full visual impact of the show include an appreciation of the marvellous lighting and other special effects. I adore sitting at the very front of the stalls as you feel as much involved in the show as the performers and you can really see the detailed expressions of the old and young cast – the only drawback is that you have to constantly scan the stage from left to right to get the impact of the action – and of course, you do miss out on the dramatic lighting to a large extent. But my advice (especially if you have long legs like me) is never even contemplate the Grand Circle. I sat there for the Anniversary show and was in constant pain from beginning to end. The leg room is non-existent and the small and extremely uncomfortable seats should carry a health warning!

David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Post by NoDayButToday »

Thursday 1st Matinee

Billy – Dean Charles Chapman
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Fleur

So I went back the next day after the birthday show, I'd never seen 2 shows in a row before, but I'm glad I went again!

I was so pleased to see Dean's name on the board, I haven't seen a Ballet Billy since 2008 so I was quite excited!

Dean's acting is superb, he is constantly foccused and in character, during Maggie Thatcher he has a little interaction with Tony that I have never seen another Billy do. His singing is great, and his dancing is spectacular. Dream Ballet was particularly great!

Another great show, and I am pleased I got to see Dean, and it rounded off a great Billy experience that I will never forget!
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Encouraging to hear some positive reviews there, after the celebrations and spectacle of the night before.

Goes to show how professional and dedicated the cast and crew are.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thursday 1st April 2010 – UK – London - Evening

Billy – Rhys Yeomans
Michael – Connor Kelly
Debbie – Francesca

Dad – Joe Caffery; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Romy Baskerville; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Rhona McGregor; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Matt Malone

Well, I’ve certainly pushed the boat out these last few days – the theory was that my Daughter and I would see the Anniversary show and then drive back home through the night – the reality was that we stayed the night in London and (using the old cliché about sightseeing and the educational experience of London) booked to see the Matinee and then during the Matinee interval, booked to see the evening performance too using the excessive traffic on the M1 as an excuse to drive home later. What a great decision we made as we were graced with our first exposure to the latest Billy, Rhys Yeomans. I have heard and spoken to others who had already seen Rhys and also seen the very positive posts on the Forum so when I saw the board for the evening I was delighted to see Rhys name together with Connor Kelly and Francesca Mango.

This would be Rhys’ third performance in the role of Billy although there was no evidence of that. Rhys was definitely at one with his character. He was remarkably confident with his performance whilst being extremely charismatic. From the moment he set foot on the stage he had the audience in the palm of his hands.

He does (in many ways) treat the character of Billy slightly differently to the other boys who play him and with subtle changes here and there he has definitely made the character his own. The first of these appears in the opening scene where Billy is teasing the Small Boy with the lollipop – Small Boy says ‘Cush’ and Billy would normally reply ‘ Shut up’ but Rhys’ response is ‘P*ss off!’ This is not a one off piece of ad-lib as other Forum members have picked up on this and mentioned it before.

What is it about Rhys the performer? I would say that his greatest attribute is his remarkable face which he uses to capture many hundreds of detailed and varied expressions to suit every line he delivers. The flexibility of his face is used to great effect and each element of his face, eyes, eyebrows, nose, cheeks and mouth plays a role – it is genius to watch. This facial control enables him one minute to have the appearance of ‘Dolly’ (Les Dawson Show) or the old man Steptoe as he scrunches up his whole face to the other extreme, a sad little boy desperately missing his Mother with a face so sullen and empty it is heartbreaking to watch. Rhys must appreciate the power of his face in performance as he uses it to the full which leaves the audience in no doubt whatsoever that he is not just going through the motions but living the role at each performance. For the future, Rhys will make great TV but anyone seeing Rhys on the stage may miss out on his facial expressions if they are not sitting near to the front. I was very fortunate to be sat in Row B and his expressions had maximum impact for me.
Another great attribute for Rhys is his ability to understand and interpret the dialogue and the careful and deliberate way in which he delivers each line. I have to say that every single line is planned and executed to perfection. Intonation, inflection and emphasis are remarkable for a 12 year old and his timing is absolutely excellent including the use of short pauses to generate greater impact.

Both his acting and dancing skills are extremely good and again lead you to believe that he has performed the role for many months. Rhys is definitely a Ballet Billy and his dancing routines including Electricity focus on these particular skills which were executed to perfection. He received a well deserved standing ovation for Electricity and (from what I could see) a full house standing ovation at the very end of the show.

Overall, a fantastic show – another full house – great performances from all the cast and musicians. Looking forward to my next experience of BETM – hopefully Ollie next time?

David
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

Many thanks for your really wonderful reviews, David!
I can only underline it:
Matinee - Dean Charles - what a confident, masterful, cute Billy - and so precise in all the details! Great show - and even that elderly audience (by majority) on Thursday matinees - who don't get up even during the interval, but stay in their seats - got very lively and even got up at the end, when Billy comes alone on stage, for a well deserved Standing Ovation - lead by the example of some Forum mebers in Row B!! (Near to "Full House" btw - just the Boxes and row A not sold).

And then Rhys in the evening - what charisma, what stage presence, what an actor and dancer! And that was only his 3rd performace I saw?? Incredible - you would really think he has allways done Billy, but still with a most fantastic freshness!!
Just to add that the house was full, even the boxes sold and occupied, and a very lively audience, and that Rhys had got them from the moment he appeared. Lasting Ovation-like applause after Express - just to mention here that this incredible cute, funny, and so able Connor Kelly (what a character!!) of course got the hearts and minds of the audience immediately as well. Ovation-like reaction after Angry Dance, same lasting one after Swan Lake - with quite some people up in the Stalls - and then a full Standing Ovation after Rhys' Electricity (at least in the Stalls and the Dress circle, as far I could see from row D Stalls) - but then two more: when Billy was called back upstage at the beginning of the Finale, and everyone was up again with the chairlift and kept standing, shouting and klapping until the very end.

What a lucky man I am and what a great Billy-Tour I had!! Having not been able to attend the show for quite a while (last one 01 June 09 - Ollie & first night Jake) - and now back for that so unbelievable, so emotional, so enthusiastic, so moving BETM-family event of the 5th birthday show - and then next day I got the two new, exceptional Billys I wanted to see - on just one and same day!! Very sadly I missed Ollie this time, but having seen his First Night at the 4th birthday / 1700 BE London show last year and then 2 more - I have to catch him again next time, when I'll attend a couple of shows around the "Real" anniversary 12 May 2010 - and then bring some German friends to the show.
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Post by NoDayButToday »

forgot to say in my review, but I happened to look right up to the 'dome' at the top of the ceiling in the theatre, where there is a small collection of red 5th anniversary ballons that must of escaped to up there!

One balloon floated across the stage during the thursday matinee...so keep an eye out for those pesky balloons!
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

NoDayButToday wrote:forgot to say in my review, but I happened to look right up to the 'dome' at the top of the ceiling in the theatre, where there is a small collection of red 5th anniversary ballons that must of escaped to up there!

One balloon floated across the stage during the thursday matinee...so keep an eye out for those pesky balloons!
Yep, and probably the same balloon did the same in the Thursday evening performance too and landed on the stage at the end of the Angry Dance - Rhys picked it up and carried it off.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 6th April 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Tom
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Emily

Dad – Joe Caffery; Tony – Tim Funnell; Mrs W – Caroline Deverill ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - John Cates; Musical Director – Andy Massey

Firstly, I have a big apology to make to everyone. In previous reviews I have occasionally shown the Musical Director as Andy Massey. I had made an assumption that the guy conducting the band was Andy Massey and never checked the facts. The assumption was made on the basis that it was clear who Chris Hatt and Matt Malone were and Andy was the only other assistant Conductor/MD mentioned in the programme. The reality is that yesterday evening there was a guy in the conductor’s box that I have never seen before. I approached him to find out who he was after the show and it turns out that he was Andy Massey. So I have now to find out who the mysterious guy is that very occasionally leads the band and correct previous reviews. Moral of this little story – never assume – it makes an ‘ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’ (assume)!!!

What an unexpected pleasure it was to see Tom last night though – unexpected because when I arrived at the VP half an hour before the show, the board had been adjusted for the evening performance and clearly showed Rhys Yeomans in the role of Billy. I have to say that for the half hour between seeing the board and the performance starting, I was really looking forward to seeing Rhys again and Tom being thrust onto the set by Dad (Joe Caffrey) in the opening scene was a bit of a shock, albeit a nice one.

Overall, I thought the show was delightful with Tom providing a calm, quite sensitive and often quiet interpretation of Billy. Tom delivers a highly polished performance whether it be dialogue, song or dance and I find his acting skills soft and smooth - very easy to listen to and watch.

Michael was played by Jake Pratt who last night, I thought excelled in the role. I appreciate that Jake is a little mischievous but he was even more so yesterday. Also, I thought that he played up to the audience far more with lots of eye contact and the occasional nod and wink. Jakes voice is much deeper that Tom’s and when placed together there is an interesting dynamic particularly when we are led to believe that Michael has an eye for Billy – the interaction of voices between Billy and Michael is quite confusing especially if you close your eyes. Love the way in which you use those glasses Jake – it does provide for even more comedy from the character.

Emily Smith played Debbie and I saw a maturing of Emily in the role last night. Her lines were delivered quite deliberately and she introduced some carefully planned pauses which added considerable value to what she was saying. I also felt that she had a real presence on stage which helped her stand out from the crowd of Ballet girls. Well done Emily for last night – I would go as far as saying this was your best performance yet.

Another new small boy – sorry name not known but cheeky and confident – exactly what we expect!

One thing that struck me last night was the size and various shapes of the cast. This show must be farily unique because it can cater for young and old, petite, thin and the not so thin. Its quite refreshing to see this and the astonishing thing is that no matter who is performing on stage, they each bring boundless energy and enthusiasm and everyone including Ann Emery (Grandma) and the largest guys can perform the nimblest and complex high speed dance moves – particularly impressive during ‘Solidarity’. Hats off you larger guys – (I can empathise with you being a big guy myself) it must feel like a serious work-out every time you do it!

The scene I would like to focus on today though is the one immediately following the song ‘He could be a star’. This scene is quite poignant for me it reminds me of my own childhood when resources were very scarce. I am as ever impressed by the intensity of this scene. It amazes me that there can be some much power sweating from a bunch of sorry miners who initially can only sit in desperation, looking to the ground or in their hands because of how totally helpless they are – they cannot after all, even raise £50 between them. The tin has circulated amongst them and generally each one can only spare a few coppers with the exception of Mr Braithwaite who is able to donate a pound note, presumably taken from his side income from playing the piano for Mrs W. Suddenly the scab enters and immediately there is this feeling of anger and danger in the air. Irrespective of your politics, this is a very bold, thoughtful, generous and sacrificial gesture which must take considerable guts especially when confronting a group of desperate miners and ex-colleagues. Conversely, I think it takes considerable guts from Tony (Tim Funnell) to recognise albeit not immediately, that these ‘hundreds of pounds’ will indeed meet all the immediate costs of Billy’s London audition. Tim is a very capable alternative Tony and he plays the part forcefully with moments of anger and also, moments of sensitivity and understanding. In fact, Tony probably does more for Billy in his upbringing than his pathetic Dad who has almost given up since the death of his wife. Joe Caffrey (Dad) has an exceptional ability to deliver episodes of upset and emotion which he turns on and off efficiently to meet the demands of the scene.

Musically, it was great to see (for me anyway) a new face in the Conductors chair. Andy Massey did an absolutely stirling job in the absence of the regulars and although I thought there were occasions when the speed of some of the musical numbers and interludes were a little slower than usual, it didn’t feel that the pace was slow. Indeed, if anything, particularly in some of the musical interludes, the slower speed provided for a more definitive passage from one scene to another and the ability for some of the solo instruments to speak their melodic line much more effectively. Andy’s style was great to encounter too. His conducting was quite deliberate and there was considerable use of a three and four beat action. Also he used his face to express the emotion he was seeking from the band at strategic points too.

Altogether another great uplifting and exhilarating experience from the BETM Team - looking forward to this evenings performance already.

David
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Wednesday 7th April 2010 – UK – London
Billy – Dean
Michael – Connor Doyle
Debbie – Francesca

Dad – Joe Caffery; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - John Cates; Musical Director – Matt Malone

A fairly brief review today but have to focus on an amazing performance by Connor Doyle in the role of Michael. If memory serves me correctly, I have never seen Connor Doyle before – cannot be absolutely certain as he was definitely around in my early BETM days but I’m sure I would have remembered him had I seen him.

Sparkling performance, full of little nuances that make the character special from extravagant gestures and melodramatic movements to detailed and versatile facial expressions and of course the use of his more mature, deep and more masculine voice to create a Michael unlike any other. Very funny and camp whist being quite odd when partnered with Dean who appears 1/3 less tall than Connor and much younger and immature against this comical but imposing guy. Interesting dynamic altogether but highly entertaining.

David

Return to “Reviews Archive”