Ballet Girl

Re: April 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Jacob Clemente Show #2
Billy-Jacob Clemente
Michael-Trevor
TB-Alex Ko
SB-Seth

OK so this was only my second time seeing a Billy (Alex) step in and play the TB role. Trent did once at a show that I saw. The Imperial played to a full house yet again this week. I believe since the week before Easter this has been the case. Very long wait for cancellation if you don't buy ahead of time. Sat c107 basically dead center behind the conductor. This will not be a long review. I have decide to do it a little different today.

Jacob

Now that I have seen the show a few times :lol: I like to look for more detail. Thank you Billy Addict for showing me with your reviews what to look for. With Jacob it was easy to see the right emotions and expressions done right for the entire show :!: Jacob is really engaged and in character during the show. The smiles and laughter at Grandma during We'd Go Dancing are a joy to see. Jacob's face just lights up. I like that he uses the (ripoff) line when Mrs W asks him for the 50p. The look on Jacob's face and the tone of voice when he first sees Michael in the dress in Expressing Yourself priceless :D . So far during the two shows Jacob has left me in awe and amazement For a twelve year old on B-Way to play a character as hard as Billy for almost 3hrs of show absolutely f*ck*ng amazing. Jacob made it through professionally the first 30 seconds of Angry Dance with the music screwed up. Jacob's Letters deserve a second mention as well. He will no doubt about it leave patrons crying in their seats with the emotion he shows. Finally were there some flaws sure. Did the paying public who have not seen the show a ridiculous :lol: amount of times care NO :!: NO :!: NO :!: So neither do I care to write them. Here is a 12year old who has worked his arse off to play the most difficult child's role ever on stage. BRAVO

More to come first have to eat to be able to think anymore :D
Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Musical Fanatic wrote:Jacob Clemente Show #2
Billy-Jacob Clemente
Michael-Trevor
TB-Alex Ko
SB-Seth

Now for part 2

Cast
After having watched this show so many times. I am still amazed at the attention to even the smallest detail. That the cast does right night after night. Phil Whitchurch and Jake should compete for funny facial expressions. The woman ensemble that starts the coin giving sequence in He Could Go and He Could Shine dropped one of her coins towards the front of stage. Jacob just crawled over and picked it up. There was a couple of times were I caught winks and nods to Jacob in support for his second show. Once particularly from Kate Hennig in Shine. Yes he did still have a little case of the nerves. It just made Jacob more adorable to the audience. One of the BG's took a fall in the Finale and just picked herself up and went on with a smile. In a little bit of a side note. That is the second fall I have seen in Finale. First was an adult ensemble. I have also seen a couple of slips off balance but no fall. I wonder if they are just tired or the stage gets slippery in spots at the end.

The Audience
I loved this audience. They clapped and laughed at all the right places. They were applauding everything :lol: I had a chance to talk to some of the people in front of me. There was an aunt in with her nephew and two older women in on vacation. I even got two handshakes one from the aunt and one of the women. I was able to tell them that one of the Billy's was doing double duty(Alex as TB). That this was only Jacob's second show as Billy. This has definitely become a fun part of the show for me.

The Stage Door
This has become just as important as the standing ovation to me in some respects. Its nice to see decent crowds out for autographs and pictures for the Billy's and other cast.

Sam

PS
More reviews to follow from Chicago April 8th to the 15th
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Friday April 9th
Billy - Michael Dameski
Michael - Trevor Braun
Tall Boy - Kylend Hetheringon
My Billy math and other unnamed sources had me prepared to see Jacob Clemente this night. I at 7 p.m., was given the news that I would see Michael Dameski play Billy Elliot. I knew from what I had been told that I would be in for a great magical night. I was sitting in row B right in front of the conductor so the stars were lined correctly for me this night. The patrons around me were so nice and polite, what a wonderful evening to be alive I thought. This play is such an outlet for me away from my very hectic high pressure work. As happy as I was, I was soon to be even more thrilled and my face frozen in a smile for three hours or so by the great Michael Dameski’s ability to sing, act and dance. Gene Kelly lives again in Michael Dameski.

The Stars look Down
I have always loved this number, now I like it even more, the dance and the timing of the actors has really improved over the year in this number. The far and distant look that Michael D. uses as he sits down is priceless. A hint on what is to come. Trevor Braun, (to me a much underappreciated talent) uses some great facial expressions early on and it works. I still think that having Trevor kick a soccer ball is out of line and wrong. Remember that later Trevor exchanges his rugby shirt for a doll....a soccer ball??? Anyway Michael D. nails (Take me Up).....With this one song and his work I knew that I was in for something extra special in this show.
Swan shadow
I have to say that part of the show to me has always belonged to the great Living Legend himself, Kiril Kulish. I now have to say that the “Great Kirusha” has some company, well at least close; Michael D. was nothing short of brilliant in this small scene. The magic of this moment is captured by Michael as he painted the swan with his articulate movement of his arms and hands in the shadow. The beauty of this moment cannot be described as I have not seen this magic since Kiril so brilliantly delivered this moment.
Shine
This number I was not always a huge fan of early on in my BETM watching career, oh my how that has changed. I went from blah blah to wanting to stand and cheer. I know now that Kate Hennig is the reason for this change in my taste. I compare it to that favorite pair of shoes that you still wear and won't throw out.....I thought AWWW no one will ever replace Hayden....well in all due respect to Hayden, Kate Hennig didn't just replace her ability but in my humble novice thoughts she is the best in this role. Michael D.’s acting skills (shine) through in this number, with his facial expressions and look of confusion that I have not seen before in this number.
We’d go Dancing
This is where Michael D. had me starting to understand that I was watching something very very (*&^%) special, (to borrow a line from the show) his timing and pure laughing at Carole’s lines were haunting how good they were. Carole is like a Maytag washing machine with this number, she never fails. The next time one sees the show, notice the look on Carole’s face when she sees what she thinks is her dead husband.
Solidarity
Michael D. nailed this number as he took this show to a whole new level with his ability. I have said before that this number is one that I think is one of the best since the Fosse musical Pippen. The company and the major players in this number have it down putting on a solid performance that left the crowd begging for more. The new rookie BETM fans are always fun to watch when Billy shows his shocking ability at the end of the number. The look of disbelief on their faces as Michael D. did his thing at the end was worth the price of the ticket alone. It simply brought the house down at that end, the lady next to me shook her head and put her hand over her mouth and whispered “my gosh” at Michael’s attacking style of turns and command of the stage. The audience gave Michael D. and the company a long ovation at the end; I might add this number should draw a standing ovation.
First bathroom scene
I must mention this as I saw something that I thought for sure was brand new. Michael was dead on with his “You don’t fancy me do you miss?”…….what a line, but what I noticed when Michael flung the bathroom door open inside the door it is written; “Mrs. Wilkinson is a right cow.” I started laughing and I am sure my seatmates were wondering what he is laughing about. I think this is new the writing on the door.
Expressing Yourself
This number is like recess to the show to me. It’s all over the place from one motif to another. I think that the beautiful work of David Bologna will never be matched to all of us ardent fans of BETM but the number still works in different ways with different styles from the Michaels. I have seen Trevor Braun 13 times in this role and he has grown up right before my eyes. The shrill and little guy that I saw months ago has changed right before my eyes, but the facial expressions and fun that is obvious in his soul are the same. When I was at the stage door following the show Kylend Hetheringon was so excited, in fact very very excited as he had just been given the news that he would play Michael for the first time the next afternoon. I am very happy for this young man as he is a real talent, one that I feel that all will enjoy as he progresses in the steps of stardom. Michael D’s electric smile really came through in this number; Michael let Trevor have his moment and played off of him very well. Let me say that if anyone had any doubts that Michael D could dance, this closed and doubts he just tore the stage up with his flawless tap. My God this kid can dance; it must be something in the water in Australia because Dayton and Michael are just quite simply pure magic. The crowd loved the ending; Trevor used the old phone in hand for all to call him, and pointed at a very nice looking young lady and went to the corner of the stage and blew his finger as the lights went out. All I can say is Oh Lay baby….what a performance by Trevor and Michael….
Dear Billy
I thought Dayton could turn on the waterworks with the crowd and himself. Michael D made the Imperial look like Niagara Falls with this number. What an actor, he was so solid and believable with his emotions. Kate Hennig is a master at this number playing off of the others. I never have like the ending to this number, the last lines don’t work for me….”No she was just me mum”…..and then the transition to B2B just doesn’t seem to flow and match. I thought Michael was a master of emotion in this number.
B2B
My good friend Thommie Retter is worth the price of the ticket alone. This guy is a human RED BULL energy drink in this number. My gosh, Michael can turn it on in this number, the flip from the piano made me nervous for him……Michael is quite the acro for sure…..I think that my worry for his safety could be better spent on something else….he seems quite in control of himself.
Second bathroom scene
Michael D was able to pull something off without the crowd’s knowing….he frantically looked for his shoes that were supposed to be placed on the floor for him to change into, he found them in the incorrect place just in the nick of time…….his reaction to Debbie’s proposal was the best I had ever seen from a Billy…..Michael waited quite a long time, paused and looked towards the stage wings, with this strained look on his face and finally said his line. The audience loved it.
Angry Dance
I have heard and read many things about Michael’s ability with this number. I was waiting with much anticipation for his work with this emotional dance. If one has ever looked in their wallet expecting to find a twenty dollar bill and pulled out a hundred dollar bill that they had forgot about that’s what this was like. Michael isn’t a big boy; he doesn’t have long limbs and is wrapped rather tight with good core energy that is obvious. Michael looked like a tornado as he tore into this number, the screams of emotions were an obvious shrill and very much from the heart. I think that the couple that was to my left were perhaps a little scared believe it or not from the style that he took to this number. That is what is outstanding Broadway to me, it was real, yes real right at twenty feet in front of us. Michael made that realism happen.
Intermission
A very distinct air about the Imperial as the lights went up, it was like the audience was expecting something to happen, they had been hit from all directions by Michael Dameski’s earth shattering ability. Then like a punch drunk fighter the crowd began to stir back into reality and start that race to sadly the lone bathroom that the Imperial has. The lady from Oklahoma City sitting next to me said, “I have never in my life seen anything like this, or anyone with that much talent.” I said “Mam, the Imperial has been a stable for jaw dropping talent since this show opened with the likes of Kiril Kulish and Trent Kowalik having graced the stage with their magic. I told this woman about the “Bloody Little Champion”, Dayton Tavares too…..I told her you have to see him, he is awesome. The family in front of me was discussing rather to try to make the lottery for the single bathroom but the youngest child in the family told her parents very loudly, “I can wait to go because I am not going to miss a second of this show.” I loved it, how funny but yet an example of how much people love this show.
Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher
I love how this starts, it makes the crowd since that they are part of the company and the family of miners. Seth is really funny with the grim reaper outfit….how about Trevor and Kylend and their expressions….love it….Seth is really funny in this scene….I think that Carole’s clothes in this scene are so bad, really awful looking….in other words it is perfect….an eccentric old lady with some really bad patterns of color…
Deep into the Ground
Philip Whitchurch I must say I just love as Jackie Elliot; he is so believable what a great job he does. I must say that singing doesn’t seem to be Philip’s strong suit but his acting and facial expressions are outstanding. The exchange between Trevor and Michael was for sure a hit with this audience as Trevor had them eating out of his hand. Trevor is really believable and his actions of bending over as well as putting on the ballet skirt are priceless. Michael let Trevor have his moment to shine before the audience for sure.
Swan Lake
I still say that no one is in the league of the “Great Kulish” with this number, but I have thought that Dayton was a close second, now I will add Michael to that position with Dayton. In my opinion Kiril Kulish was the best and a genius with Swan Lake and Electricity and will never be matched, but Dayton and Michael are sure not far behind. Michael was so graceful and his small frame seem to float around the stage. There is another point, Michael it was so obvious was enjoying every minute of it so much. The flying sequence of the scene tranquilized the audience for sure. There were audible gasp from the crowd as Michael soared through the air. There was quite the clapping when Michael ended up in front of Philip at the end. This is another point where the crowd should have given Michael a standing ovation.
He could go and he could Shine
The spine chilling moment in the show for sure with the way Philip portrays Jackie, he just looks like a real miner, the rough working class type for sure. I have always said the most emotional moment in the show is during this number for me, with Big Davey singing “We will always stand together”…it gives me goose bumps every time.
Royal Ballet School
Easton Smith can act……his accent and actions to this part are a real important part to me in this scene. Philip wants to know…”Where are you from” while looking at his crotch. Philip checking his own is quite funny.
Electricity
Michael paused so long when asked the question from the lady….he then paused after the first line much longer than others…..guess what …the dramatic effect worked big time….the emotion was high in the audience, people cough at this time, this has to be from emotion. Michael played this audience like Stradivarius made violins. Michael has a smile that lights up the Imperial without the use of the song’s namesake….Electricity….this kid had the audience like melted butter after this number. What a flawless performance, the ending was not quite the tornado that Kiril gave all of us but it was beautiful. I am proud to say that I gave Michael a standing ovation for his work as did one other couple. I think all of us on this Forum need to be leaders in this act of a standing ovation. It really means a lot to these kids, I know that for a fact.
Letter from the Royal Ballet
I love the blue outfit that the Billy’s wear in this part; it really is a change from the reds and stripes. Michael’s line of “S**t is very funny as he said it….the look was dead on as well. The line of Billy Elliot is queer of course as it always does brings the house down.
Once we were Kings
This number works in many ways, the miners and the lights are quite tranquil as the show prepares to come to a conclusion. To me there is a huge dramatic effect for me when Billy is left standing on the bare stage for a moment by himself. This is one of those moments where silence works….kind of like the old Andy Griffith Show when Barney and Andy would sit on the porch and say nothing. Michael D’s look at this moment was priceless.
Dear Billy
The tear ducts were working for sure with Michael D, he nailed it with his emotional interpretation of the part..
Company Celebration
A bitter sweet part, I just love this number, just really love it….The look that Michael D gave the crowd at the start I have not seen from a Billy since Kiril’s contagious smile. Let there be no doubt, the stage at the Imperial belonged this night to a cyclone of energy named Michael Dameski.
Ending
While Will Chase was asking the crowd for donations at the door for the miners in West Virginia, Michael Dameski was smiling as he got a very excited Seth Fromowitz to stop adjusting his cuticles. I mentioned this to Michael Dameski after the show and howled with laughter as to little Seth and his nails.
This wonderful young man, Michael Dameski, is someone that everyone on this Forum should see. The words I have used in this “War and Peace” style long review cannot to begin to describe how great Michael is. I plead with any fan of this show don’t let a chance to see Michael Dameski perform slip away. Michael is a genius, a young Gene Kelly in my opinion.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Wow, cincinnati. I think if you aren't Michael's #1 fan (there are some of our Aussie members who claim that title), you're certainly right in contention for being his #1 American fan :lol:

If anyone had any doubts about Michael's ability, you've certainly put them to rest and generated a lot of interest from those of us who haven't seen Michael's portrayal in person to want to get to see him.

Thank you for taking the time to write that long, but wonderful review. It takes a lot of time and effort and it's very appreciated.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

cincinnati wrote,This wonderful young man, Michael Dameski, is someone that everyone on this Forum should see. The words I have used in this “War and Peace” style long review cannot to begin to describe how great Michael is. I plead with any fan of this show don’t let a chance to see Michael Dameski perform slip away. Michael is a genius, a young Gene Kelly in my opinion.
Thank you for the review cincinnati. I miss NY and can't wait to get back to the Imperial. Although Chicago has been fun for the differences.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Musical Fanatic, cincinnati and sctwins for the wonderful reviews.
cincinnati wrote: First bathroom scene
I must mention this as I saw something that I thought for sure was brand new. Michael was dead on with his “You don’t fancy me do you miss?”…….what a line, but what I noticed when Michael flung the bathroom door open inside the door it is written; “Mrs. Wilkinson is a right cow.” I started laughing and I am sure my seatmates were wondering what he is laughing about. I think this is new the writing on the door.
This just proves that every time you go to the show you see something new. As far as I can remember "Mrs Wilkinson is a a right cow" has been on the inside of the toilet door from the first preview. It is also on the toilet door in London but the writing is slightly larger.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, it's been there all along. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

ERinVA wrote:Yes, it's been there all along. :D
Wow, if it would have been a shark it would have been history for me....
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Those of us who have seen the show a bazillion times ( :oops: ), first in London and then in NY, start looking for things like that to compare the two shows. If you've seen it in London and thought it was funny, then you look for it in NY and Chicago too. I haven't heard whether the stall door for the Chicago set has it as well, but I expect it does. And then there's the added touch of the wads of toilet paper stuffed into the holes at the top of the door.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

ERinVA wrote:Those of us who have seen the show a bazillion times ( :oops: ), first in London and then in NY, start looking for things like that to compare the two shows. If you've seen it in London and thought it was funny, then you look for it in NY and Chicago too. I haven't heard whether the stall door for the Chicago set has it as well, but I expect it does. And then there's the added touch of the wads of toilet paper stuffed into the holes at the top of the door.
Ellen yes it is . :D
Sam

Return to “Reviews Archive”