April 2010 Reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: April 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by Billy Whiz »

Musical Fanatic wrote:As for me personally this will be one of the last reviews that I write for a while. I am leaving NY area .
Thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into your reviews Sam. I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving NY as your reviews are always very welcome.

I hope you manage to get to see Billy again soon and therefore we can look forward to more of your wonderful reviews.

Thanks once again.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I second that. I hope that you will be happy wherever you are going to be based from now on, Sam, but I know you will be sad to leave the NY area and BETM, (even if your wallet won't ;) ).
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

ERinVA wrote:I second that. I hope that you will be happy wherever you are going to be based from now on, Sam, but I know you will be sad to leave the NY area and BETM, (even if your wallet won't ;) ).
Billy Whiz wrote:
Musical Fanatic wrote:As for me personally this will be one of the last reviews that I write for a while. I am leaving NY area .
Thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into your reviews Sam. I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving NY as your reviews are always very welcome.

I hope you manage to get to see Billy again soon and therefore we can look forward to more of your wonderful reviews.

Thanks once again.
Thank You Ellen and Billy Whiz it has been a fun. The last three plus months. I have met some very nice people from the forum(Hugsy2k , steadmam and billy addict) plus others to many to mention, the show(Tessa and Thommie). Will Chase even recognized me after one performance and said nice to see you again. I would also like to thank family members of the cast who said hello. Particularly the Dameski's who I even sat down to a meal with. Thank you billy addict for the intro. Now on to my last Billy marathon reviews for a while.
Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Sat April 24th 8pm
Billy-Michael Dameski
Michael-Jake
SB-Seth
Tony-David Larsen
Mum-Liz Pearce

The last time for my seeing my favorite Billy for a while. Michael might be one of thirteen Billy's that I have seen. He will definitely standout in my mind hopefully forever. Show after show he is there giving it his all. Then there were the shows(the Aussie Invasion and his dad coming over) where is performance just exploded off the charts and the stage. I had a chance to do something nice with two of my last shows. Through the help of billy addict(who I blame for part of my addiction). I was able to give Michael's sister a chance to see him twice Wed, and Sat(AA102 and 103) before she goes back to Oz. OMG would I kill to sit in them again even if I needed ear plugs :lol: and had a crick in my neck by the end of the show. You are literally staring some of the cast in the face in those seats.

Stars Look Down
From these seats everything is more powerful. George's were on strike. The confrontation with the scab. The finale whole company part of the number at the front of the stage. The best part :D is knowing that Michael can see us when he takes his final turn in Take Me Up. Watching Michael and Jake up close in the Boxing scene really does make a difference. If you get the chance to watch Jake's(Michael). Take some time to watch his body language and expressions it adds a whole dimension to his performance. Jake is reacting the whole time to the Billy boxing dance.

Shine
The Ballet Girls win my unsung hero's award for outstanding commitment to lousy :lol: and funny dancing night after night. The one question I would love to ask each of them. How can you stand it. Tessa smiles and winks at me when she sees me.

We'd Go Dancing
I want to take Carole Shelley home with me as my Grandma :D

Dear Billy
Except for Jacob Clemente being the ultimate tear machine :). This is where the first time I saw Michael on his debut that I realized. This is what the Letter should look like and sound like when acted and sung the right way. Incredibly sad and emotionally draining(plenty of tears from the audience). This is Michael's forte.

Angry Dance
I am just going to steal a few of the adjectives from other reviews. Maniacal, tornado or to me a whirlwind of emotion on Michael's face and through his dance. Oh and anger and loss that just spills forth in a flood from his mouth. Michael makes you live his pain and anger right up until the end. Then he puts the dagger to the heart with his scream. Leaving you in shocked silence.

He Could Go " " "
David Larsen deserves mention for a good portrayal of Tony While Will Chase is away. He hits the scab so hard with the money. That in a couple of show he drew loud shocked ohs from the audience.

Electricity
Great ballet inter-weaved with amazing acrobatics. Then you get smacked in the face with pure emotion on the final pose. I dare you to look Michael in the face and not want to get up and yell his name in appreciation and clap your hands off.

Tommy(x1 only in NY my first) Trent(last show), Dayton, Liam, Michael(debut), Alex(first show back from injury) and Jacob(debut) my NY Billy's to the the tune of 50 shows since last summer. With Trent and Michael leading the top of the chart(lost track can only guess roughly) for most performances seen(over 10 each). Two dinners with forum members. Trent's not last show Feb21(with Tessa and Thommie) and Trent's real last show March 7. Incredibly gracious family members. A young cast that will allow autographs and pictures for people even when they just want to go home. Picture Michael trapped by three bus loads of teens when walking west to 8ave on 46th just after the parking lot. What an incredible time its been. Add to this six shows in London(Fox x2, Ollie x2 and Dean x2) and 14 in Chicago(Giuseppe x2, JP x2 debut, Tommy X4 official Chicago debut and Cesar x6 debut and opening night), 67 shows since Jan 10 2010 I wonder if this is a record of extreme (insanity) :D :lol: :!:
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Musical Fanatic: I, too, would like to add my thanks for your wonderfully detailed insights of the show. I will really miss them. For those almost 70 shows, it was a rare occurrence, indeed, when you didn't take the time to write down your thoughts in a post here. For that, I am truly appreciative as it gave me the opportunity to experience the show without being there. Your descriptions and observations were that vivid to me.

I wish you all the best in where life takes you next and hope that in the not too distant future we'll be able to read a review from Musical Fanatic once again.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

porschesrule wrote:Musical Fanatic: I, too, would like to add my thanks for your wonderfully detailed insights of the show. I will really miss them. For those almost 70 shows, it was a rare occurrence, indeed, when you didn't take the time to write down your thoughts in a post here. For that, I am truly appreciative as it gave me the opportunity to experience the show without being there. Your descriptions and observations were that vivid to me.

I wish you all the best in where life takes you next and hope that in the not too distant future we'll be able to read a review from Musical Fanatic once again.
Thanks porchesrule it has been a blast.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Musical Fanatic, I'd like add my thanks and appreciation along with what everyone else has already said. It has been a joy to read your reviews. I'm glad we were able to meet in person as well. Hope to see you in NY again some day.
-Chris
:/
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

My Top Ten List Of Reasons For Seeing The Show 50 Times In NY
Why You Should Go Again Soon

Not really ranked in any particular order

10)Liam's million dollar and million candle watt smile. Saw him Sun night and when he turns on that smile in Electricity at the pose. The crowd eats it up and gives him applause in return.

9)Alex Ko's return from a devastating injury. Lets see how many ways I can describe him. Courageous, heroic, brave, amazing, true grit and determination. With knee braces on both knees from his first show back. Alex has shown what it means to be Billy Elliot. He has worked his way back into the rotation with great acting, good singing and amazing ballet.

8)Liam and Alex's gorgeous and oh so smooth ballet.

7)Michael's Electricity :!: Just read the reviews from every forum member who has seen Michael.

6)Michael's Angry Dance :!:

5)Jacob's emotional Letters

4)Dayton's Electricity and Angry Dance

3)The flat out great acting that all of the Billy's currently playing show give you night after night. Watch all of them closely and see the way they interact with other cast even when they are not the focus.

2)The Imperial theaters comfortable confines. Great sight lines and sound.

1b)The amazing supporting cast. Thommie Retter amazing Mr B. Phil Whitchurch's comedic timing. Carole Shelley's Grandma or Kate Hennig's emotional Mrs W

1a)Finally the great people you meet. Whether they be cast, forum members, audience or cast family.

Pick a reason any or all of mine or your own. Go see the show you wont regret it
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Wednesday April 28th
Billy - Alex
Michael - Trevor
Small Boy - Luke
Tall Boy - Kylend

This was a very different trip and time for me to see the show, as I have never seen afternoon show midweek. This was also a last minute trip that I took and was able to still purchase a very good seat (Row B seat 101). I have seen the show many times but had yet to see the wonderful and brave Alex Ko in the role of Billy. I have seen Alex at the Imperial many times but just not on stage. The crowd at the Imperial that day was very different it seemed before the start of the show and that would come to be true very shortly.
The Stars Look Down - The very first impression I have of Alex Ko live on stage is that he is a powerful dancer, strong and agile. The very start of the show I knew much like Dayton had given me was a very different take on the role of Billy Elliot. Alex has stage command for sure, it seemed his arrival was loud in a silent way as he walked across the stage to take a seat and study the scene in silence as the strike developed. Kylend Hetherington is fast becoming a star in the making on the stage of the Imperial. Kylend’s work in this number is solid as his facial expressions and reactions are dead on, and he gave a great performance in this number. Trevor Braun, the unsung talent to me on this stage, gets really into his Michael early right from the start in this number as well. When the time came for Alex to take the stage and sing, he was very distant with his delivery in a right proper way that I haven't seen before, and I really think his style worked. Luke's shadow work seemed dead on and perfect. The close at the end of this number brought my first wave of anger at the crowd as they seemed asleep at the wheel at the end of this number with a lackluster response.
Boxing scene - The work of small boy, (Luke) always gets laughs, every time I have went to the show. Kylend and Trevor have this scene down really well too. If you have the chance next time, watch Trevor's facial expressions they are dead on to the role of Michael.
Shine - Kate Hennig is really taken this role and taken it to the next level. I can't say enough about Kate's work, it’s outstanding. The smoking, the eye movement, the hard scrabble look along with that swagger is a dead on for her part. I love this number more each time I see it, I know why because of Kate's ability for sure. I would say that Thommie Retter's work in this number is so outstanding that I am guilty of taking it for granted. The crowd for sure to didn't give the company their respect for this number, like you have to be kidding, show them some respect.
Swan Shadow - I have always said that Kiril was so so good at this, what a talent Kiril was in this scene. Michael Dameski and Dayton Tavares are really good with this as well. I must say that Alex really caught my attention with his work during this scene. Alex's moves are so precise; his solid muscular build really comes into play with this. How attention getting Alex was with this part, to bad this crowd didn't appreciate this more.
We'd Go Dancing - Carole Shelley is a really sweet lady and a wonderful talented actress for sure. This wonderful lady spent some time with my 80-year old mother not long ago after a show and what a kind charming person. Carole is so convincing in her role in this number it reminds me that it could be an episode in the old "Twilight Zone" show. The reaction when she looked up from an intense Alex and thought she saw the ghost of her late husband is priceless. The exchange at the end between Carole and Alex was especially effective; Alex really showed some genuine love for his grandmother and Carole likewise. This was a very effective and touching moment with their dead on acting.
Solidarity - My personal favorite Broadway musical number of all time, (took the place of Pippen's "Corner of the Sky") and yes I was 12 years old when I saw a young Ben Vereen knock this number dead at guess where. That's correct, the Imperial.....little did I know when I was Billy Elliot's age watching Vereen, that I would be watching our wonderful musical in the same venue. I just love this number, I try to contain myself from bobbing my head (I know I must look foolish), but it's hard not to. The company just keeps getting better and better with Solidarity. Alex to me took the (hook) in this number to capture the heart and gain the attention of this stale crowd and educate them that he is a world class ballet performer with his pose and spins. There is always a gasp of shock or two from the crowd when the Billy's pose or at the end and show a sample of what is to come in the second part.
1st Bathroom scene - I really like the bathroom scenes, they work and they work some more. The Billy's all have their own take on this as it seems even though the script is the same they play it different to me. Alex's look with the "You are bit old" was outstanding, great timing. The best part of this to me with Alex was his "Sh** you can't come in here" this was very natural and right on.....Great job here by Alex.
Expressing Yourself - I must go back again to the Rodney Dangerfield of the cast, Trevor Braun, this kid is a load of talent and a very complex young man. You can sit back and see this little dynamo and his ability to play this part like a flute for one minute and a tuba for the next, soft then loud. I think that Trevor's talent is yet best to shine with dramatic roles. I don't exactly know why but to me Trevor is a dramatic, tragic, serious and heavy emotion style actor waiting to make a big name for them in a very quick fashion. This number started slow, but guess what it wasn't Michael or Alex failing to push the gas pedal on stage it was this different crowd and their possible confusion over what to do. I just love when Trevor leaves the stage and makes the phone sign with his right hand and points to the front row for a nice looking lady to call him. The blowing the candle out as the lights go down is priceless. Great job Trevor; I appreciate and respect your work.
Dear Billy (Mums letter) - Alex's singing, especially in this number is for sure a bit different than others. Alex brings a somewhat distant feeling to this letter song that I can't quite place, but you know I will say once again it works. I can actually understand that his acting in this song is dead on to what the big wheels want in the production and creative end of the show.
Born 2 Boogie - Thommie Retter and more Thommie Retter just can't get enough of one of the very nicest people to ever grace the boards of Broadway. Thommie is like your mailman everyday, he delivers a solid performance every time. Alex Ko had a little bit of trouble at first with the rope but he quickly disposed of any doubters including myself by knocking this number in the dirt.
I thought that Alex avoided problems with this number when he jumped into Tommie’s arm he almost didn't make it.....got to have those feet together when you do it Alex.....
Angry Dance - I called Michael "the human tornado" Dameski, and I think it fits and describes his ability Well, Alex Ko is now the new human, "typhoon" ......He brought home the groceries with this number, first time Billy Elliot fans find this number is really hard to perform day in and day out.
Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher - Once again this number really kind of used to dragged about it. I don't feel that way anymore for sure. Philip Whit church is a solid actor who has done a wonderful job. The look on Kylend and Trevor's face with the tombstones in the front of this episode.
Deep into the Ground - Philip and Trevor worked this number very well.
Exchange with Michael and Barbie etc. - Trevor kinda woke up this slow to respond crowd with a strong performance here. The lines for sure are all made for Michael for sure and Trevor took advantage and got this stoic crowd to get off of their hands a few times.
Swan Lake Ballet with older self - Okay, it's Alex's turn to shock me.... I had heard that he was good, but wow, this is Alex's pitch to swing away for sure and hit the homerun. My god he can bring it......what a beautiful performance....Alex should have been given a larger applause than he got for this number....dead on...big time....
He could go and he could Shine - this number kinda drags for me but it has it's place with the strong feelings that come out of it. Will Chase comes through here with an angry mixed up for sure brother from the rough side of the tracks.
Electricity - The ballet and acro from Alex Ko was world class. I which have gotten over what others think of me, standing and clapping for Alex at the end of this number. It was a unfortunate that others didn't seem to get it when it came to this show. I wonder what part of the country they all came from.
Once we were Kings - This song also gets better and better. The miners caps are very good and they work with the motiff of the show. Solid job from Alex here.
Dear Billy - Alex's acting skills stayed with him at the end when the Billy's tend to look a little tired .
Company Celebration - A very uplifting part of the play. Alex can really smile and he showed it at the end. I was so happy to see Alex and he for sure didn't send me away unhappy. The crowd for sure for the most part most have been in NYC for a w**ker Convention...they didn't know what a great show they were watching.
In Closing - Alex Ko, Trevor Braun, Kylend Heatherington all deserve a loud standing clapping from all of us. These young men are the most dedicated group of people in a long time. A kid their ages to get upo and do what they doing is a wonderful to all. Alex Ko lost his father to a battle with cancer, Alex then started in his dream job and hurt himself. Alex is wearing two knee braces and a huge smile. Alex your hard work and refusing to take NO for an answer and kept coming and coming. I will always stand close through the fight and the through the storm.

Return to “Reviews Archive”