June 2010 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: June 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

sctwins wrote:Eeeee,I was looking forward to reading those reviews,Sean!!(I think I saw the same shows-Dayton,Alex and Jacob :D ) You made me vividly remember the amazing night! The whole casts were phenomenal and the audience was the most enthusiastic as ever! :-) People next to me were enjoying the reaction when they heard the applause for Tessa and Thommie....

Thanks so much for your review! :D You made me want to go to see the show again!

p.s.>Just a memorable episode with the lady who sat next to me.She was from Barcelona with her family and as she couldn't speak English her son or daughter had to explain what was going on stage in Spanish. ...
Thank you for the added details! It is one downside I learned the hard way from my first Billython--my memory has gotten worse in my old age ;-) ...next time I see the show I'm going to bring a pen and paper, especially if more than 1 show in a row...my Spanish isn't half bad by the way (took 7 years of it between grammar school and college--also took 1 year of Latin which helps me understand words when I see them written), I stumble a lot but get by here and there, so if you know me and need a semi-translator, lemme know...anyway, thanks for the response and again for the added details, yes dayton switched off and on from happy to sad SO WELL!!! =)

Sean
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Another great review Sean! It's the second best thing to being there -- so detailed and descriptive. Thank you!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 2 PM Show

Part 4 of 4

The day began as it should, with breakfast at Junior's. It was my first Billython and I had heard of this Junior's place through enough Twitpics and posts so I wanted to try it myself. It meant--since I live on Long Island--less sleep that night before, but I was up for it. 7 or 8 of us met up for breakfast and it was very nice. Not mind blowingly fantastic, but very nice and I'd definitely eat there again.

After that a few of us walked up to the Apple Store by Central Park. Very cool place. Makes me want to be an Apple Guy. Although I'd hate to give up pineapples.

From there we traveled back down toward Times Square and after a stop off at the theatre, I broke off from the bunch like a rogue banana so I could meet up with my friend David who was going to the show with me (his first time). He was coming in by Path Train from New Jersey and only arrived at Herald Square at 1:35. Enough time to get to the theatre, but also out of phone signal up until 1:35 so that I put myself into a right tizzy waiting. I can be such a BFW sometimes, I'm tellin ya.

BILLY: Jacob Clemente
MICHAEL: David Bologna

ACT 1
There is a stride I believe all Billys reach sooner or later where their performance is no longer a collection of various bits learned, but a complete package ready for presentation. And while I didn't sense Jacob had reached that stride yet, he seems very much in control of all the bits and pieces, so that the realized complete package is very close to happening.

As I made mention in part 3 of this Billython review, Jacob's Letter scene had me crying like I've never cried before. I wasn't bawling my eyes out or anything, but something about his tender, shaky voice, his small frame and his gentle manor put me over the edge more than usual. It really takes a lot to bring that kind of emotional punch to people who have seen the show many times, and Jacob really landed it. He was also really great at turning it off again quickly and going right back into funny mode.

Even though I'm going to keep this review short, I want to stress his Letter scene as perhaps the main message of what you will experience with Jacob Clemente as Billy. He is the youngest boy to take on the role on Broadway, but at the same time, if you watch his Fox 5 Interview, you will see he has great self-confidence and a strong demeanor. He's in control completely. And between his sweet side and his confident, borderline cocky side, I really enjoyed watching him perform. In many ways, when you watch Jacob as Billy, you are watching a boy coming into his own. It's part of the Billy Elliot story, but it's also part of the Jacob Clemente story.

And then, quite unexpectedly, not intentionally of course, I single-handedly ruined the show.

to be continued...
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great review again Sean. Keep them coming :D
angelenroute wrote:Saturday, June 26th, 2010 2 PM Show

Part 4 of 4

The day began as it should, with breakfast at Junior's. It was my first Billython and I had heard of this Junior's place through enough Twitpics and posts so I wanted to try it myself. It meant--since I live on Long Island--less sleep that night before, but I was up for it. 7 or 8 of us met up for breakfast and it was very nice. Not mind blowingly fantastic, but very nice and I'd definitely eat there again.
After hearing good things about Juniors I tried it on my second visit to NYC. I definitely won't eat there again :( The food was overpriced and their tea is awful.

I would recommend Edisons and their Eggs Benedict - absolutely wonderful and reasonably priced as well. Unfortunately they don't make very good tea either :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

angelenroute wrote: And then, quite unexpectedly, not intentionally of course, I single-handedly ruined the show.
to be continued...
. . . the suspense is killing me . . . (I have a feeling I might know what happened, but I'll patiently wait for your response ;) )
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Rich B wrote:
angelenroute wrote: And then, quite unexpectedly, not intentionally of course, I single-handedly ruined the show.
to be continued...
. . . the suspense is killing me . . .
Me too.

Sean, you are a tease :D :D :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

. [/i]
you arent the one who put coins in small boy's bucket are u?.... since he puts it over his head as they do in Chicago now it resulted in coins rolling all over the stage...... :oops: :oops:
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Mike wrote:
. [/i]
you arent the one who put coins in small boy's bucket are u?.... since he puts it over his head as they do in Chicago now it resulted in coins rolling all over the stage...... :oops: :oops:
No, although one of our friends suggested she'd put confetti in his bucket just for the fun effect of that exact moment lol. BUT you have nailed the exact moment that I hinted at. Will finish up that review here from work today. =)

Sean
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 2 PM Show

Part 4 of 4

Second Act

And then, quite unexpectedly, not intentionally of course, I single-handedly ruined the show.

I had never put money in the boys' pails before, but I knew that others had. But it was the end of my Billython and I was sitting on the aisle of row C far left, so I figured I may as well. Coins, why don't I have any coins? Chris H. offered to give me a couple but he didn't have any either. I decided on the quick that I'd just put a dollar bill into David Bologna's bucket and another into Jacob Clemente's bucket. Should get a smile I figured. I've heard how ridiculously low these kids get paid for what they do, so every dollar helps. =) But then it happened. Just as Jacob went to begin his end-contribution to Deep Into The Ground, his microphone popped off. I heard it and froze. That was his microphone, I told myself. Oh, no! My mind started rapidly going through the lines and the show to determine when he could get a new microphone put on. Like a library card catalog, I flipped through index cards in my brain. How much would he have to sing/say without his microphone? Answer: Sing end of "Deep", interact with Michael for the kiss/not a puff, then do a thankfully wordless Dream Ballet before exiting the stage for enough time to regroup and get re-mic'd.

And it was somewhere in all of this that I realized...it was all my fault. The look of surprise Jacob had given me flashed back in my brain like one of those psychologically damaging horror movies where when you watch a Blu Ray, 7 days later your air conditioner breaks. Maybe once he sat down on the center stage, somewhere as it rolled backward, he took the dollar out and pocketed it. And in the reaching and the extending into his pocket, he accidentally pulled on the cord and dislodged his mic. Or, maybe he looked into his bucket at one point and something magnetic in the handle triggered a pop-out of the power in his mic. Or maybe, just maybe, I set a curse upon the production. This last possibility, though seemingly impossible, is what I fear the worst. One thing I'm sure of though, I will never put a dollar bill into a bucket held out by a Billy, a Michael, a Tall Boy or a Small Boy ever again! Maybe when I'm ready I'll try to put a coin in and see how that works, but I can't risk something horrible happening again. I'm so sorry.

I fear Jacob will be shown this review and the next time I'm at a show when he's performing, someone will point me out at stage door after the show. "Hey, Jacob," the person will whisper, "see that guy there? The redhead? He's the one who gave you the dollar bill that time your mic went out." Jacob will look up at me with sad eyes and shake his head. "Thanks," he'll say with sarcasm, "thanks for screwing me up like that." He'll call one of the door guards over who will ask for my Playbill and promptly tear it in half, throwing the pieces at me while shouting, "scab!"

Still, I must put that behind me for now, for my own sanity. And for the record, Jacob was a real trooper when it happened. He sang a little louder, spoke as loudly as he could without screaming and got through it well. His Dream Ballet was wonderful and he showed no sign of being flustered by the issue. Well done, Jacob! And again, "sorry Billy".

After the show, my mind spun with all that I'd experienced in the past few days. My first Billython. My first time seeing David Bologna perform live. My first time seeing Alex Ko perform, my first time seeing Dayton Tavares perform, and my first time seeing Jacob Clemente perform. And it was also my first dance lesson and my first time being in a room with 4 gods of Broadway, dancing and singing, laughing and performing a number from the show with 4 of its brightest stars. It was a weekend filled with happy times, great friends who not so long ago used to be complete strangers, and lots and lots of sweet dreams come true.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again soon and meeting those I have still not yet met!

With solidarity and a smile,
Sean

p.s. Review of 7/2 with Liam Redhead coming to a July Reviews/Reflections section near you soon.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for putting us out of our misery Sean.

Actually the mods are aware of the problem with the mic as we have received a complaint by email from the Imperial Theatre about your actions.

We are in discussion at the moment as to an appropriate punishment. We shall be in touch shortly ;)

Return to “Reviews Archive”