July 2010 - Reviews - London

athadj
Miner

Re: July 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by athadj »

A very brief note as I'm at the airport going home and only have 10 min. worth of internet time :shock:
First I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed when I saw Dean's name on the board for the only reason that since I could only catch 3 shows I was also hoping for 3 different Billies and this cast was exactly the same as Saturdays.

How stupid was I! Dean was absolutelly breathtaking last night! Perfection in every way, his dancing, his singing, and of course his brilliant acting. I cannot believe how a 12 year old boy can be such an intense actor on live stage every nigt! Express with an outstanding Jake was probably the best I've ever seen, Dream Ballet was definetelly the best I've seen with him and Barnaby being like looking in the mirror! And I can't believe I'm saying this but I started crying during Dream Ballet! Never thought this could happen! A perfect electricity with a very very very long and tottally deserving applause in the end and Dean giving us a very satisfied smile that just made us applause some more. In general a very appreciative audience who clapped a lot (even when they shouldn't maybe :? ).

My time has gone so I'll just say that Dean was simply perfect yesterday (yes even B2B went well) and I can't wait to see him again hopefully very soon!
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Have a good flight, Athina! Was great meeting you on Saturday. Glad you enjoyed Dean, Jake and the rest of the cast again yesterday!

Cheers - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Ooops sorry I was in such a hurry that I forgot to mention of course that the review was for Monday 27th July :oops: .

Thanks Thomas it was great meeting you as well. I'm at Munich airport now waiting for final flight home...I think I spent more money for internet on this trip tan I did on Billy tickets... :?
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

athadj wrote:Ooops sorry I was in such a hurry that I forgot to mention of course that the review was for Monday 27th July :oops: .

Thanks Thomas it was great meeting you as well. I'm at Munich airport now waiting for final flight home...I think I spent more money for internet on this trip tan I did on Billy tickets... :?
That Athina, could be something to do with the front row seats that you bought :lol:
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

Thursday evening ...

Billy doesn’t get much better than it was tonight. A brilliant performance from Ollie, Joe, Fleur and the rest of the team. I’ve written before about how impressive I find both Ollie and Fleur – and it was more noticeable tonight than ever that both are now so comfortable in their roles they can bring that little bit extra in terms of detail and interpretation to every scene. Tonight was my first time seeing Joe and I was just utterly impressed with the balance which he strikes between the many and complex sides to Michael’s character – expressed in his delivery of the lines, his interaction with Billy and in the way in which he carries himself on stage. What a mature performance and performer - and one which I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing again soon.

The cast certainly put their audience on the emotional rollercoaster this evening – a very crisp show with masses of energy - and it was a joy to be a part of the standing ovation which almost everyone in the House gave Ollie at the end of Electricity. Tonight’s show was powerful, moving and I thought had a great ‘presence’ about it - leaving me feeling that I had re-connected with the story itself in some way as well as with the performance. I still learn something new each and every time I see the show - which is one of the great things about seeing the show develop over the years and in its different forms in the UK, NY and Chicago.

Looking forward to many more rides on the rollercoaster to come ...!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 29th July

Rhys, Connor K, Emily
George: Phil
Dead Mum: Rhona

Travelling light as I do, thank goodness for online check-in. You print out an A4 size Boarding Pass that is blank on one side and has extra writing space on the business side. Unlike the traditional Boarding Pass where there isn’t space enough to even compose a review of Small Boy’s first entrance on stage. I usually print two of each Pass which means that, on the flight home, there are four blank pages available to write on which is just as well because, having filled the first two pages, you just know that you haven’t done justice to the show you’ve seen and have to begin again.

Having checked in at Victoria for today’s flight to Easington it was abundantly clear that three A380’s would be required to accommodate all who turned up. I was only in Economy (or Coach as our US friends would call it) but it was nice to see so many familiar faces onboard.

I’ve had nine flights since today’s Captain was last at the controls but once Capt. Rhys took over you knew you were in for a fantastic journey and so it proved to be. Following a nice easy lift-off we settled down for the cruise.

At the interval the nice lady from Milford Haven in the seat next to mine declared that she thought that Rhys looked like Mark Lester from the 1968 fillum. Hmmm, maybe, in looks, if you stretch a point but in terms of performance, Mark hadn’t even arrived at the terminal.

This was sheer class in every aspect of this wonderful role. The fun of the boxing, the smile for Grandma’s antics, the despair of being found out at ballet, the doubt about Mrs. W’s offer of private ballet lessons and the crazy dancing with Michael brought every conceivable expression from Rhys’ overflowing repertoire. Then there was the Letter. When he broke down during the song you could feel the audience melt. I’d say every Mum in the house wanted to take him home. However, said Mums got a rude awakening not long afterwards in Angry Dance. After this extraordinary tantrum accompanied by such accomplished and pistol-packing tap dancing that saw three foot high clouds of dust over the stage they couldn’t wait to give him back. At the end of it, if looks could kill the front ten rows were goners.

After the break the Capt. himself took flight. Rhys looks to be feather light and could, most likely, do non-powered flight but, nevertheless, the Barnaby model of the RB211 was employed to deliver not only the thrust but the stability required for what was a dreamflight that not even the new Boeing Dreamliner could have matched.

Anticipating Rhys’ Electricity was a joy in itself but nothing compared to the dance we got. This was no flight of fantasy. This was real and, as always, the sheer beauty and power of it left me in tears. Nobody is automatically entitled to this level of entertainment but you take it while you can. As wave after wave of applause rang around the theatre Rhys smiled that endearing waif-like smile of his that, itself, brought even more cheers. Cherish the moment. The Mums were now fighting over who was going to get him back.

Every airliner needs a co-pilot or First Officer as they prefer to call it these days. Step up Master Connor. He took complete control in Expressing with some unforgettable poses, facials and smilies. I could be wrong but the dresses from the wardrobe all looked different. Better design and colours and brand new or maybe I haven’t been paying attention 007 lately. Not that it made all that of a difference to Connor anyway. He had ‘em all eating out of his hands. Every line in the sequence was delivered with panache, every flicker of his eyes conveyed his feelings and all were greeted with howls of laughter from all quarters. The lady from Milford Haven was in hysterics. I had told her that BETM should be on the National Health and she was now agreeing.

The Winter Scene has that great triple-whammy of tenderness, laughter and, finally, poignancy. It takes some skill to bring all these together but to do them all in such a short space of time is nothing short of miraculous. After all the fun with the tutu and the ballet attempts you could have heard a pin drop as Connor walked towards the door, turned around to say “See, yah, then” with those doleful eyes followed by the slow, sad, reluctant exit.
In the latter half of the nineteenth century a gentleman, coincidentally by the name of James William Elliott, composed a piece of music called "Speak to me with Thine Eyes". Connor did just that at the final curtain. The audience today were magnificent. They held their whisht until the curtain was almost fully down so that everyone could appreciate the final poignant moment in silence.

All the other crew on the flight this afternoon were superb. I’d need a dozen more Boarding Passes to write all I’d love to say about the three hours spent in the VPT. To each and every one of them I say Thanks. I know, it’s their day job but I wonder do they really, really realise just how much pleasure they all give to so many people day after day. I hope so. I’m coming back for another flight next week.

Pat
LPOZ
Small Boy

Post by LPOZ »

Great review, Pat!

It has been 3 weeks since my last flight to VPT and with no trips to London planned for at least the next 6 months, I am feeling rather jet-lagged...

But the reviews here will keep me connected in spirit, so keep them coming!

LPOZ
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Can't top that one Pat! I'm sorry it's the same old thing from me but I've got to give my appreciation for a great show. A "Big thank You" to all the cast! for another memorable performance. I think what makes this show so unique, is the different Billy's, Michael's and Debbie's blending together. Really pleased to see Rhys again, he wasn't to well the last time I saw him, what a great performance today, smashing smile after "Electricity" you certainly deserved your ovation. Well done, "Pavarotti" Kelly, I've said it before Connor, you are a real comic, you always have me in stitches, you and Rhys were brilliant thoughout.
Good journey back, left Kings Cross 8-30pm, in at home at midnight.
Must tell you this, I'ts lucky I always see the funny side of things, if it ain't seagulls waking you up at dawn, no not this morning, two moggies decieded to have knookie in my garden, what a b----- racket.
Barry
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Thanks for the reviews people!
patc wrote:Anticipating Rhys’ Electricity was a joy in itself but nothing compared to the dance we got. This was no flight of fantasy. This was real and, as always, the sheer beauty and power of it left me in tears. Nobody is automatically entitled to this level of entertainment but you take it while you can. As wave after wave of applause rang around the theatre Rhys smiled that endearing waif-like smile of his that, itself, brought even more cheers. Cherish the moment. The Mums were now fighting over who was going to get him back
Don't you just love the moments after Electricity when the boys are so pleased with their performance and just can't help themselves and give the audience this huge smile! And after reading this, I can tell it's not just me who after seeing the big smile want to cheer even more (forever if possible) just to thank the little guy for what he just did onstage :D
Athina

London
New York
Peter x 1
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Born to Boogie wrote:Thursday evening ...

Billy doesn’t get much better than it was tonight. A brilliant performance from Ollie, Joe, Fleur and the rest of the team. I’ve written before about how impressive I find both Ollie and Fleur – and it was more noticeable tonight than ever that both are now so comfortable in their roles they can bring that little bit extra in terms of detail and interpretation to every scene. Tonight was my first time seeing Joe and I was just utterly impressed with the balance which he strikes between the many and complex sides to Michael’s character – expressed in his delivery of the lines, his interaction with Billy and in the way in which he carries himself on stage. What a mature performance and performer - and one which I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing again soon.

The cast certainly put their audience on the emotional rollercoaster this evening – a very crisp show with masses of energy - and it was a joy to be a part of the standing ovation which almost everyone in the House gave Ollie at the end of Electricity. Tonight’s show was powerful, moving and I thought had a great ‘presence’ about it - leaving me feeling that I had re-connected with the story itself in some way as well as with the performance. I still learn something new each and every time I see the show - which is one of the great things about seeing the show develop over the years and in its different forms in the UK, NY and Chicago.

Looking forward to many more rides on the rollercoaster to come ...!
Interesting comments. I also saw this show and the whole house standing ovation for Ollie's Electricity made it feel a very special night as it is not the norm. Personally I think it was those illustrious characters in A10 and A9 that got everone going. ;)

I am so pleased that someone else has spotted how talented Joe is! My review comments last Saturday went uncommented on and I thought they had gone down like the proverbial lead balloon. It was so nice for Joe to be applauded off the stage after the Winter Scene although I think we could all see why. :oops:
My only caveat where Joe is concerned is that he tends to say his opening line to Billy whilst being drowned out by the final chords from the orchestra. From where I was in Row F he was inaudible and it did make Billy's response ' It's to do with Maggie Thatcher' seem a trifle strange and unconnected. Otherwise there is no getting away from it that Joe was brilliant as was Ollie who gives an increasingly mature and commanding performance everytime I see him. Fleur was outstanding as well. What a team they made. Barnaby also made the Dream sequence with Billy effortless. Good also to see Phil S back as a very compelling 'no messing with me' George'.

Return to “Reviews Archive”