August 2010 - Reviews - London

AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Re: August 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Thursday 26th August
Ollie/Joe/Fleur matinee
Rhys/Jake/Francesca evening.

I fully concur with Billy Whiz's post re the kids so won't duplicate about their fanstic performances.

Rain meant I cancelled camping at 24 hours notice thus able to see two wonderful shows on Thursday instead. This was good news for me as it meant I was able to get a last chance to see Jake before his departure. A statistical freak meant that in my 23 shows to date I only saw him 3 times and thus felt I never got a chance to appreciate him, but his performance last night was superb, his delivery of the nutcracker joke was the most perfectly timed I have witnessed to date and overall his acting showed a fluency and ability I feel the other Michael’s will do well to heed.

After reading of many technical difficulties in the Forum this week, it appeared that we were in for another challenging day when the film didn’t start on time. Poor small boy started ginger but was turning grey as he waited and waited and was even about to send out for a replacement lolly. Thankfully Herbert Morrison eventually appeared and the only technical problems thereafter were the usual issues over the sound (or lack of it) from the YTS run booth. Tall boy ran on and ironically said “he’s heard” .Shame the audience didn’t. We heard absolutely nothing. I lost several lines from Billy and Michael and quite a few late on from the ensemble, I won’t go on, but I could.

It was nice to be sitting further back in the theatre for once. Usually occupy Row B but today it was fully occupied by a party from Last of the Summer Wine (only joking). For those Forum who weren’t sure (and there was some debate and doubt), I can confirm there is a stage floor and all the actors do have feet. Row B is nice but despite practically being on the stage there is so much that is missed. Also being among Billy virgins back in row N it was nice to hear their universal comment of appreciation – even if the 3 year old kid behind me didn’t quite get it!

Interesting to retrieve a 50p dropped on stage to find it was a genuine “old” 50p – not the current smaller 50p. Now that is impressive – with such an attention to detail from the props department. Shame I can’t use it as it is no longer legal tender.

Having got to the VPT early to get the tickets and requiring lunch – I believe I have identified the nearby establishment where Joe Caffrey learnt his cooking craft, based on the state of their all day breakfasts. I have a feeling that’s where all the old mouldy pasties end up too.

Lastly just a big thank you to all the actors. By watching two performances today I can appreciate the amount of work that they all go through on matinee days, it must be absolutely draining. I have never left the VPT without feeling total satisfaction, a feel good factor and knowing everyone gave 100%. It is obviously thirsty work!

A pleasure to meet so many Forum too, some for the first time. A great day.

Alex
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the excellent reviews, everyone.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks Billy whizz for your reviews of yesterday.

I agree with your comments about Rhys and it was so good to see such a wide cross section of the audience give him a standing ovation after a stand-out and thoroughly deserved Electricity. Like you I am a great fan of his acting and the subtle pauses and accentuations he puts into his line delivery to bring out the full flavour of the meaning.
I also like Rhys's Angry Dance because he injects into his shouts and body movements such a sense of frustation and distress which coming from a smaller performer really gets across the feeling of Billy at the mercy of political forces that he does not really understand.
Just a word of encouragement for Fran who recoveres so well after a 'line' blank which clearly unsettled her for a short while. Any of us who have been involved in amateur dramatics knows how easily it can happen to the best of thespians.
Another great show from Jake who visibly showed at the final curtain how he was feeling about his penultimate show.
Good luck for tomorrow night Jake.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to all for taking a few moments (or in Keith's case - several days :lol: ) to write the great reviews we've been reading the last several days. Fine work by all and thoroughly enjoyable reading.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

porschesrule wrote:Thanks to all for taking a few moments (or in Keith's case - several days :lol: ) to write the great reviews we've been reading the last several days. Fine work by all and thoroughly enjoyable reading.
I wonder if Keith ever suffers from writer's cramp? :lol:
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

KeefyM wrote:As for that German gentleman sitting next to you, I can't think who you are talking about!!!
Stupid idiot! :twisted:
Just a brief explanation: you shout "Bravo" to express an exceptional performance in the theater or the opera. More exactly you would shout "Bravo" for a single male, "Brava" for a single female, "Bravi" for several people and "Brave" for a group of women (to my knowledge, there is only one opera with only female characters).
(Especially since he "abandoned" certain people at the Interval).
:D
To be exact, I did not abandone you during the interval, but before the show started, as I preordered my drink. I simply did not think about meeting you at the theater, stupid me ;)

Now to the shows I've seen. As this is my last chance to see Ollie on stage, I was very happy with both shows he's done! I've nothing to add to the very comprehensive reviews. Ollie is at the top now and he proves it with every show.

It was great to see Reece as the new Michael. He is a great actor, delivering every line with care. I especially liked, that he gave more time in the winter scene for the line "cause I miss you". Makes it more intense for me. I will be happy to see Reece again!

Having seen Ollie, I didn't give much thought about who would be on Thursday evening and Friday, as I know, that all the other cast is very very good as well. And I was not disappointed! Two extraordinary brilliant performances of Rhys. I had seen him once and said that I can't imagine he can get any better - Ellen, that was not quite serious, as I know that with experience everybody gets better. I'm not able to compare the last two shows with the first one I'd seen, but I would repeat myself: it is hard to imagine, that he can get even better! Rhys is a very good actor. Yesterday I realized, when he spoke to Debbie about going again to ballet, how Rhys' Billy really struggled with himself, whether he should go again or not. I'm glad, he went for the ballet experience! David I agree, his pause between "Mom left it" and "for me" intensifies the lines! I also like Rhys' facial expression, when Debbie delivers her unspeakable offer. Yesterdays Michael has been Joe. He and Rhys seemed to have had a very good time on stage together with a great "Express" and a wonderful winter scene. I like the fact, that Joe's Michael waits some time before he turns away after his confession to Billy, that he will miss him.

I think, that Daniel Page delivers a great Mr. Braithwaite! He is very funny! Yesterday he did also Big Davy. I thought that was a little confusing.

Mrs. Wilkinson was played by Caroline (forgot her surname) who I like very much. Romy Baskerville was Grandma and she is simply fantastic!

B2B worked very well yesterday, it is not too bad though.

Again a big "Bravi" to all the cast!

Cheers - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday 28th Matinee:

This Day Queuer found himself well behind a Hen Party of 10 from S. Wales who took the whole of Row A so was thus confined to a longitudinal view of the show from B27. This had the unexpected bonus of being able to see at a distance what an expressive actor Aaron is. He uses his face so well to convey such a range of feelings and emotions that is quite remarkable. Aaron is able to convey with a glance, smile,and glower such a panorama of perspectives which are sometimes missed from a more central seat. Some examples are the following;
First encounter with Mrs Wilkinson (' who the hell is this rather intriguing woman?')
Ballet girls ('what a load of fascinating but threatening oddballs')
Michael dressing up ('oh my God' :oops: :P)
Debbie's invitation ('well that is an interesting proposal :oops: : but reluctantly no)
Hugging Mrs Wilkinson ('Absolute bliss')
Curtain scene with George and Tony (Why am I surrounded by such idiots?)
Dream sequence (Joy)
End of Electricity (Total happiness)

Expressions aside, another first class show from Aaron. Excellent accent-even though the miking tended to be a bit variable and on the loud side. His dancing was crisp and faultless throughout and as for his skipping-pacy and flawless and very very good. :D
Connor had a coachload of admirers in the audience and was able to respond accordingly. A very positive performance and the way he loves it up when Lesley asks Billy how he got on was totally priceless and had the audience in stitches.
Another good performance from Emily who as feisty and seductive as she can be.
Once again we marvelled at Daniel Page. Such energy from a man of his build.
Good performaces from Luke as tall boy and Paddy as small boy.
Overall though this was another very creditable performance from Aaron who really showed us today that he is a Billy of rare quality.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

A few photos from Jake's last show.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

A few belated thoughts about Friday night.

Rhys
Joe
Fleur
Caroline Deverill as Mrs Wilkinson
Romy Baskerville as Grandma

Following Thomas' excellent review I can offer some comments about Caroline Deverill. She has a very different version of Mrs Wilkinson to that of Genevieve. I did like her dance moves in B2B and her choice of costumes. Her performance on Friday was excellent with lots of moodiness, and a developing affection for Billy that was moving. She has a strong vocal projection although she seemed to battle with the sound desk at times. I don't know what system the theatre uses but I would say it is pretty old fashioned. No doubt someone will correct me ;) All I know is that her vocals became piercing in her higher notes. I have noticed this effect quite frequently of late to the point where I am thinking of bringing ear plugs for use in Rows A or B :). Talking of the technicals, the wretched bedroom set did at least work on Friday. One of the (many) problems of set failures is that the Show cannot be delayed beyond 11pm as the children in the cast have to be away by then. As it is, small boy sometimes does not come on at the final curtain if things are running late.
Joe was convincing as Michael and a little more restrained than when I saw him last. He has his own take on the part and a definite sense of individuality. I hope he will remain free from injury so that we can see him on a regular basis ;). Rhys is so interesting to watch as he is introducing variations to his dance routines in B2B and particularly in Electricity. There are now some leaps creeping in. He is really creative in the way in which he brings his balletic talent into his performance. Well done (again).
Thomas has written about 'bravo.' I agree with him. It is an accepted practice in the Ballet to appreciate bravura solos and pas de deux by shouts of 'BRAVO'. I have sometimes finished up hoarse after watching prima dancers. In the UK I have not heard any gender or plural versions of the word used but I can't speak for the Opera.
The house wasn't absolutely full on Friday but I gathered that it was much busier than nights earlier in the week. Don't try to park in Allington Street though as I gather that it is impossible to drive there legally! It was good to see Forum members who have been to Seoul and to hear about the Korean production. Thank you everyone.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Speaking of "Bravo," in reference to BETM, I would say that "Electricity" and other dances by Billy in the show fall more into the category of "Woohoo!" :D I have heard "Bravo" from audience members at BETM in NY, but never when I have attended the show in London. I definitely prefer the "Woohoo" school of thought, given the context of the show. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews Archive”