Site Admin
Site Admin

September 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

A new thread for September reviews.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Westletonion
Miner

Re: September 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

I had the joy of seeing Aaron perform for the first time on the 1st September. I have to say I was astonished at what a brilliant performer he is in all departments. Considering he was a hole-in-the heart baby as well. Ever since that very early TV show which characterised his early life when he was interviewed, still as a very small child, but with a wish to dance, dance, dance, I have looked forward to seeing him appear as Billy. Being a fellow East Anglian also increases the interest in his life. It is also wonderful to see such proud and supportive parents sharing in his successful young life.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: August 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday matinee 4th September.

Ollie fans will be pleased that despite a quietish audience he performed another robust and energetic show aided by Connor who despite a muddle up with skirts and dresses still managed to steal the Expressing Yourself scene. I know I will get told off for describing Ollie as 'mature' but anno dominae is beginning to tell as he looked and sounded very much the blossoming teenager throughout. Desperately poor miking initially did not help his cause and it was not a surprise to see the house manager rigorously ensuring that this was remedied after Act 1. The high spot for Ollie was an excellent dream sequence although I think he would be sorry that Electricity did not quite come up to the high standards he sets himself. The reception he received from the audience at the end was thoroughly deserved as you always feels Ollie gives 100% all the time. It is not commented on often but of the current Billys Ollie excels with his hand silhouette routine prior to Gran's song. You can really see what he is trying to achieve. Very effective. :D
Debbie was Fleur who excelled throughout. She is such an accomplished little actress and a very neat dancer. Fleur really lives the role and was a delight to watch throughout.
David Bardsley was once again an excellent Dad and Phil Snowden really seems to have settled into the role of Mr Braithwaite even if he did get under this Billy's skin ('Whats he doing here?) cue therefore to much mouthing and gesturing from Ollie :oops:
This reviewer was sitting in splendid isolation in A10 before parking his bag in the empty aisle seat row E after Act 1 only for it to be removed by security when he was away at the bar. After much grovelling apologies and wrist slapping the bag was reclaimed and I was able to enjoy watching Ollie, Connor and Fleur from a more advantageous position.I was not disappointed.
Bungie
Small Boy

Post by Bungie »

Saturday evening performance. Dean/Reece/Francesca, put on an excellent show before virtually a full house. An appreciative audience applauded several scenes during the evening, and were on their feet at the conclusion of an outstanding Electricity from Dean. We seem to have had a run of very funny Michaels lately, and Reece continued the tradition. It was my first view of him and I was not disappointed. Francesca produced another superb performance, she is quite something, and the wonderful Ballet girls gave Billy quite a going over. The adult cast could not be faulted with a lot of fine acting and singing making it a great night. The prolonged standing ovation at the end said it all.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the reviews everybody.

Now looking forward to a review of Scott's debut :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Scott Mckenzie
Connor
Fleur
David Bardsley as Dad

This was Scott's first night and therefore a very special Show. I was very struck by the sense of occasion and the pressure on Scott. After all he is following in the dance steps of so many other Billys. The adult cast have seen many Billys come and go, as had the Forum members in the audience. I found the evening moving almost to the point of pain. Nick Evans made his customary speech at the start to explain to the audience the significance of the evening. Nick is now an accomplished speaker in front of the curtain (when his mike is working!). He thanked Scott's parents by name and stressed the workload that this young lad had undertaken since his audition in Newcastle. It is a long journey from Dumbarton to the Victoria Palace in every sense. Of course Nick thanked everyone except himself! It is he who is the kids' confidant and support. Without this I reckon we might well miss a few Shows. I was delighted to read in the programme insert that Scott hopes to train as a professional ballet dancer. Hooray, another Ballet Billy :D

Up came Small Boy and we were off and running. In came Scott from the rear door and he was off and running. Everything seemed to go well despite the pressure on him. No missed cues or fluffed lines but then he is a professional. His boxing scene dance steps included a soupcon of scottish reel and this led me to think that we can expect some more innovations to enter his performance in the future. The ballet class scene went smoothly and we began to see his ballet potential as he held 'the position' beautifully before Debbie came in with her line. Express was all good (Connor won the race with the shoes) with Scott showing fine tap skills despite some initial difficulty with his shoe. It was amusing to see him do a cartwheel off the piano in B2B. His angry dance went angrily well although for some reason the toilet did not rise up from the stage floor :o

Act 2 proceeded a pace with chances for Billy to show his acting potential in supporting Dad in singing about his dead mum. This reveals the hidden grief inside both of them and the love between father and son. The audition scene was interesting with the reintroduction of camp 'business' from the stage technical crew member. Electricity will be Scott's tour de force in due course. On Monday he finished with lovely pirouettes which I am sure he will extend in the future. And it was on to the finale performed by the cast with a real sense of happiness from the cast that Scott had come through the ordeal and triumphed in the process. Yes, there was a standing ovation and yes it was deserved. He had received tremendous support from cast and audience alike. In a little while Scott may be thinking of the RBS or Rambert maybe. Good luck with that.

There was an After Show reception for family, friends and cast which I believe Nick had arranged.

I make no apology for not mentioning other cast members by name. It was, quite simply, Scott Mckenzie's night.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Jacob for a wonderful review of Scott's first show.

These boys are quite amazing. They must be so nervous before the show starts but they go out on that stage and perform as if they have done it all their lives.

Well done Scott.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURDAYS MATINEE 9th SEPTEMBER

I could sense it, as entered the theatre, that the audience were not gong to be very lively maybe it was the deluge outside that wetted them down, I just wish they didn't all come together at the same time, Sorry folks!
Anyway, back to the show, I keep saying it, why not, another great performance from all the cast. Rhys must be full of bruises the way those girls push him around, poor lad, or maybe they are getting their own back! He give another outstanding performance his expressions, dictation and timming was spot on. A great Angry dance, Dream Ballet with Barnaby was so graceful, his Electricity to me was brilliant. I've never a been a ballet type before but I can tell you Rhys, Dean and Aaron have really won me over.
I suggest Rhys takes a parachute with him the next time he uses the staircase, I think its the 2nd time his has been marooned in a month, although I gather it was not as high this time, anyway the show soon resumed. Really pleased to see Rhys and Connor together in Expressing Youself, you never know what Connor is going to do next. Emily was again on top firey form, I often think the girls miss out with the praises some times.
I enjoyed Craig having to rush up the staircase, in the final kitchen scene to retrieve the letter from Billy's bed, he did it so professionally, pity they could'nt keep that in.
So thanks again, cast for another great show
Good journey home on the train, meet a guy at my table who had taken his family, three weeks ago, to the show and said he would certainly go again. By the way Pat, got me car into the garage before it turned into a pumpkin

Barry
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thursday eveniing.
I do not want to go into unknown detail save to say that Scott performed with Reece and Fleur only to be replaced by Rhys at the interval due to an 'injury'. He had performed brilliantly up to this point including a very energetic Angry Dance' so there was a stong feeling of disappointment at the news. For some of us regulars the Expressing Yourself routine with Scott and Reece was probably one of the best we had seen due to the total energy, freshness ,and fun these two new recruits to the show brought to it. It was superb. Scott showed throughout Act 1 what a tremendous find he is and his acting, dancing, line diction, and singing was first class throughout.
Rhys capitalised well on a lot of audience goodwill and performed very well throughout Act 2. It could not have been easy for him recreating another Electricity but if anything the evening offering outstripped the afternoon one for technique. Thank goodness he brought the Letter down the stairs with him this time as opposed to the envelope (see Barry's review) much to the relief of Craig. :lol: Again in Act 2 Reece showed us what an excellent Michael he is and the applause as he left the stage after the Winter scene was richly deserved. Once again Fleur excelled and showed us what a top drawer Debbie she is. She and Scott interacted very well in Act 1
Well done to Rhys for providing us with 2 Billys for the price of 1 and best wishes to Scott for a speedy recovery from whatever injury he picked up. Do not hesitate to get to see a Scott show. He has all the makings of a top rate Billy and the little Scottish jigs he interweaves into his routine remain priceless and well worth your ticket fee. Scott is also a first class proficient skipper for the BTB routine.
Overall a well regarded performance with 2 dynamic Billys on show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Barry and Deanfan for the reviews. I'm sure we all hope that Scott is back on the boards very soon.

Return to “Reviews Archive”