October 2010-Reviews-London

burtond
Michael

Re: October 2010-Reviews-London

Post by burtond »

Great review Deanfan5. Really enjoyed reading it.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

burtond wrote:Great review Deanfan5. Really enjoyed reading it.
Many thanks Dave. Please ignore my comment on Facebook though it is about time we had a D or K review here as well. :lol:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Monday 18th October

Scott, Joe, Emily
Dad: David Bardsley
Grandma: Romy

Well, what a Billy performance this was from the new boy. For me, the sense of anticipation before the show was palpable as in my only other Scott show he had to come off at the interval due to a slight injury.

Immediately it is obvious that Scott's stunning eyes are a giveaway. He uses them to great effect to emphasise his emotions and actions. From the gentle tearful eyes in the Letter through the imploring eyes to Dad/Tony in the pre-Angry Dance kitchen scene to the raging, blazing eyes of the dance itself. And that's just Part 1.

There was huge disappointment in Part two when we didn't get the Flying Scott in Dream Ballet although the opening Swan Lake dancing sequence was beautifully performed in tandem with the indefatigable and irreplaceable Barnaby. However, this was more than made up for when it was time for Electricity. Up to then we had seen glimpses of Scott's ballet prowess but nothing could have prepared me for what followed from the moment when Scott began to try to "explain it" to the RBS voice. With eyes in full motion, he perfectly captured the feelings of a boy in a "hostile" and strange environment being somewhat terrifed to even speak in this company. But, bit by bit, as he walked towards the front of the stage he brilliantly conveyed the confidence slowly building in his mind as he knew this was going to be his big chance to impress by doing what he does best. Then, suddenly realising he was "free", he exploded into action. Mon Dieu, Jiminy Cricket, Bloody 'ell", OMG or whatever you're having yourself. This was an Electricity that had such compelling power, beauty, poise and majesty that I was still drying my eyes when Billy came home to confront the RBS letter. This was mesmerising stuff from beginning to end. I'd have paid for a premium seat just for Electricity alone on the night. They should have kept the box office open after the show because they'd have sold 1499 return tickets (I already had mine). It's grossly unfair that a boy can perform like that while some of the rest of us can't even string together a few lowly waltz steps.

It isn't just Scott's ballet that shone. As evidenced in Expressing and Angry Dance he has brilliant tap skills plus a voice to die for.

In Dublin, the Massey name has been synonymous for centuries with the morbid occupation of Funeral Directors. Not so at the Victoria Palace Theatre where namesake Joe performs, although it could be said that there are some similarities in that he continues to make audiences choke to death with laughter with his own particular brand of Michael. That infectious smile of his has you grinning from ear to ear in Expressing and the second half of the Winter Scene. Then again, his soulful expressions at the final curtain would have had Mr. Sowerberry positively drooling.

Emily already has her personalised version of the irrepressible Debbie signed, sealed and delivered for posterity. Last night, in the scene where Mrs. W decides to give the Ballet girls the pirouette lessons, I particularly enjoyed the manner in which Emily "sidled" across the stage (from quite some distance) to ogle Billy (from quite a near distance).

It was nice to see David Bardsley again as Dad, fresh from his recent great outings as George. "He could be a star" was very emotional and especially gut-wrenching when David collapsed to his knees in Tony's arms. The same can be said of Gen's goodbye scene with Scott and both Letter scenes with Samantha.

On the last occasion when there was no flying in Dream Ballet we were informed that it was due to there not being two operatives available on the night but I don't know if that was the reason for its absence last night.

I would like to echo Deanfan5's comments on Romy. She is a truly wonderful and most loveable Grandma.

There was one more abiding memory from the night. Scott sitting in the Billy Bus with a beaming smile and knowing he had just charmed the pants off a very grateful and happy audience. I can't wait to see it all again.

Pat
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Thank you so much for this review Patc. You described it so beautifully I'm not sure I can wait until the end of November to see Scott, I feel like jumping on a plane tomorrow and catching the show. But then again Scott wouldn't be performing AGAIN tomorrow, right?
Anyway, you mentioned there was no flying sequence during Dream Ballet. I had no idea this had happenned before. This might sound like a stupid question but what exactly happens when there is no flying? Does the scene end sooner or do they keep dancing on the floor?
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

athadj wrote:Anyway, you mentioned there was no flying sequence during Dream Ballet. I had no idea this had happenned before. This might sound like a stupid question but what exactly happens when there is no flying? Does the scene end sooner or do they keep dancing on the floor?
When the first part of the dance concluded both Scott and Barnaby took their usual places where the wire normally would be. It hadn't come down, of course. That music faded out and then the concluding music of the flying sequence faded in, Dad appeared on the LH side and Billy/Barnaby danced away from each other as usual as Billy spun over to Dad. I got the impression that the incoming scenery was slightly late arriving as the black sidewalls had to go up first. It was all done very smoothly.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Pat
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

athadj wrote:Thank you so much for this review Patc. You described it so beautifully I'm not sure I can wait until the end of November to see Scott, I feel like jumping on a plane tomorrow and catching the show. But then again Scott wouldn't be performing AGAIN tomorrow, right?
Anyway, you mentioned there was no flying sequence during Dream Ballet. I had no idea this had happenned before. This might sound like a stupid question but what exactly happens when there is no flying? Does the scene end sooner or do they keep dancing on the floor?
Firstly Pat thanks for your excellent review of another ace Scott performance on Monday night. When I turned up to see on the foyer board the same team as Saturday I thought there must have been a mistake. So it was an added pleasure to see Joe cycle on (no cycle sticking in the door this time) :D and a very moody Scott come on with Dad. Boy can Scott glower when he wants to. :roll: Such an expressive face and accompanying piercing blue eyes. For me the highlights were another amazing skipping routine of sheer perfection and also the Letter. No single tear this time but moistness and clear sadness. The smaller Scott reminds me very much of the small Travis in his earlier days. A smaller Billy has the advantage of maximising audience impact because of sheer percieved vulnerability. As a result there is often an upsurge of goodwill and feeling of wanting to comfort someone profoundly affected by the loss of his Mum. I hope that Scott will capitalise on this as Travis and latterly Tom Holland did so well. If he does they will have to start stocking quantities of Kleenex at the various selling booths in the theatre. ;)
With regard to the elevation rope for the Dream Sequence, we spoke to cast afterwards and was told that there was a kink in it which raised health and safety concerns. We were told it would be repaired on Tuesday and I am glad to say that it was and the full sequence resumed for Dean's show last night. It was totally appropriate not to put Scott at risk and as Pat said, he and Barnaby covered for the missing element very well.
Two other comments. Firstly at long last and long overdue a poster picture of Scott in performance was put up outside the theatre yesterday. Secondly how nice to meet Scott's Mum by the Billy bus post show. Given the distance his parents live away the times they have been around to support their son is very commendable indeed. Undoubtedly a major factor in the chaperonage Scott refers to in his programme notes and which has enabled him to settle so well into London Billy life.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

When I first came to this show on a Friday night in May 2005 performed by the amazing Liam I knew I wanted to see it again but never expected it to be 500 times over 5 years which was the case last night. As it happened I was very pleased that Aaron was Billy because seeing him on stage there is a touch of deja vu with Liam especially with regard to the acting, the run up to the riot shields and the fast pirouettes at the end of Electricity. With Aaron you also get a show of total honest commitment and a very distinctive portrayal of Billy trying to make sense of all that is going on around him some of which (Michael) seems quite incomprehensible at first. Aaron's acting and subtle pauses always allows meaning to develop. His delivery of that line 'she was just me Mam' at the end of The Letter is also said with such poignancy and in a way that in my opinion has not been bettered by any of the Billys I have seen over the years. I also love the sense of mischief with the Debbie offer which with the grin almost implies that this was an offer that he was strongly tempted to take her up on. :oops: I heard also compliments ( with which I strongly concur) from northern members of the audience about Aaron's perfect dialect.
Aaron danced well throughout especially in the Dream Sequence with Barnaby. I can sense that singing has never been easy for Aaron especially with the richness and depth of his voice nowadays so full marks for always doing his best. Certainly the way Aaron managed to convey in word and motion a depth of sadness in The Letter had many people around me wet eyed.
Connor was Michael and he certainly camped it up last night with pouts at the audience to accompany his usual accomplished routine. It came as no surprise that he was applauded off at the end of the winter scene.
Debbie was the amazing Fleur who I personally will miss when she leaves in November. She has all the credentials for being a very successful actress. Good luck for January Fleur.
A mention also first of Daniel Page who had the audience rocking with laughter at his totally o.t.t. antics in BTB and secondly Joe West who is taking to the role of small boy like a duck to water and uses every opportunity given to impress his personality on the show. Take particular note of his press-up routine in the boxing scene which is totally hilarious.
Friday night audiences can be a bit dire but last night they were responsive and attentive. It was however only when I stood at the end that the stalls felt comfortable enough to do the same. Certainly it was only the least Aaron and the cast deserved. Joe Caffrey said more kind words about Aaron at the end as we dipped into our pockets for the third collection for Great Ormand Street Hospital.
Thanks Aaron for being such an evocative and pleasing Billy number 500 leaving me with with more satisfying memories of this wonderful Musical.
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

21/10/10 (Thurs - Mat)
Rhys
Connor
Fleur?
So it’s been quite some time since my last Billy show. The last time I headed to the VP was when we celebrated the 5th anniversary. The whole
So when the small boy (not sure who it was but a very cute dark haired boy) jumped up on stage my heart was ready for the emotional ride that is Billy Elliot the Musical.
Stars was as always a brilliant start to the show and Rhys voice was beautiful, soft and uplifting. Small boy copied Rhys perfectly through the shadow dancing and seemed to be loving it.
The audience seemed to be slow at first. The breakfast scene’s first few jokes drew very little laughs. As soon as the guy playing Big Davey wofled down his sandwich. I’ve never seen any of the Big Davey’s eat so much of the sandwich!
The boxing scene with small boy was brilliant and really warmed the audience up. The timing from the cast was spot on, producing a well flowing scene. Rhys really danced his heart off when fighting Connor. Small boy drew the biggest laugh with his usual ‘see ya George’ routine.
Sitting closer then I ever have before was a great experience. You really see all the expressions on the cast face and it showed me how much the ballet girls put into the show. Every moment they where acting.
It was great to see Ann Emey for what probably will be my last time. 10 times I’ve seen the show and 10 times she’s performed in it. She performed Grandma’s song with as much enthusiasm and brilliance as the first time I saw her and it’s weird knowing that I shall never see her doing it again.Her dedication to the show has been exceptional. It will be a shame to loose her but I wish her luck in whatever she does.
Solidarity for me has always been one of the finest ensemble dances in any production. It’s so long and complicated I never know how they could remember it all and get it so well perfected. The ensemble cast really had perfection on their minds that day.
Connor has the role of Michael perfected to a T. He has commic timing that most adults would be jealous of. Paired up with Rhys the two seemed to be having the time of their lives.
The Letter was a truly heart renching scene from Rhys. He really looked like he was going to break down in tears and the joy on his face when he saw his mum. Mrs W little reactions really supported it, like the slight sniff and wipe of the eye at the end. Really touching.
Okay, so Born to Boogie. My first time seeing the revised version. So my thoughts…well the boxing gloves was different and I’m not sure how I took to it. I think it doesn’t have the same start as the old version but I have to say the pure essence of what Born to Boogie is about is still there. And as for the skipping - I do wonder if I was just very lucky but it was faltless. No one got tangled or had to stop and Rhys just had his rotating so fast I couldn’t believe he could still stand up after that. He just spun it so fast and smiled the whole way. I really enjoyed seeing something different in the show. It was new and interesting and shows off the talent in the different ways. The one thing I did notice. Not sure if this is common or just a one off but there was no piano flip. Rhys just did a flip on the ground after changing his shoes. Not sure if this is down to the even quicker shoe change now. I don’t think anyone who had seen the show before would have noticed and really didn’t detract from the brilliance of the song but just something I noticed.
I forget how powerful Angry Dance is, especially the bit against the riot shields. Rhys really gave it his all and got a well deserved applause from the crowd.
Merry Christmas was really funny as always. I couldn’t help but watching a couple of the stage hangs/chaperones???? In the background hanging out with some of the BG before they went on. It made me laugh seeing them enjoying the show as much as the performers.
It was really funny watching the ballet girls at the front of the stage in ‘Deep in the Ground.’ One would wave shyly to the other. It was so small and would probably go unnoticed but just put a smile on my face. These kids just act, act and just keep acting.
Connor in the winter scene, once again, stole the scene. You could tell the audience just adored him.
Dream Ballet was just as it said on the team. A dream! The dancing from the pair was just out of this world. Perfectly timed between the two.
Once We Where Kings really caught me today. Sometimes it’s not my favourite song but I really felt involved and gripped. Chris plays Tony with so many layers and you call tell it’s killing him when he say ‘I could never talk to you again’ but he means it too.
Electrictiy is always such a highlight for me. I love watching the scene between Dad and Billy as they get interrogated! The way Rhys stands up to whisper in Dad’s ear when answering the question “Do you have any questions for us,” was a really nice touch. I hadn’t seen any of the Billy’s do this before. Rhys sang his heart out for Electricity and then flew into a perfectly executed flip. It was lovely to realise I was seeing a ballet Billy as I haven’t seen that version of Electricity since Tanner! I have to say Rhys’ flips are stunning. He could easily be a Street Billy with those flips but I can see that his ballet just shines through too. He did one amazing leg lift and you could see him thinking ‘I can do better then that’ and then his leg swung so high I thought he would surely topple but no he just kept flying with the biggest smile ever. He finished the song quite quietly before belting out the final two ’freeeeeeeee’s,’ and then flew into some brilliant flips and final spins. Absolutely stunning! Rhys gave the BIGGEST beeming smile I have ever seen from a Billy and I could even see him saying mouthing ‘thank you’ which was so lovely.
The final few scenes seemed to fly by and I love the way they changed the opening of the letter scene from Dad ‘swooshing’ everyone away with Ann Emery doing it thin air and now she raises a finger to Tony. It was so unexpected I laughed very hard. Rhys did not give one inch to tell everyone he got into The Royal Ballet school as he attacked the biscuit tin for another Jaffa cake (he really seems to like them - another Travis?)
Once We Where King’s was lovely and being so close I could actually here some of the words that Dad and Billy where saying that don’t get picked up by the microphones.
The Letter Reprise was just as emotional as the first time and then punctuated by Connor’s very sad face as Billy walked off down the isle.
It was great to see The Finale in the show after worrying that it was going to be cut due to the stage issues. The cast just have so much fun and it just sends you away on a high. Rhys even gave a special kiss and wave to someone in one of the boxes which just very sweet.
So in all, a really beautifully flowing show I felt. Very close to perfection. It sent me away feeling so alive and happy. Rhys is such a lovely, smiley, happy Billy I really love his performance. It’s so nice to see each Billy performing it in their own way and always brings me back :)
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Deanfan5, patc and hammy for the terrific reviews.

The cast really seem to be on top form - but let's be honest - they always are.

As always "Keep 'em coming"
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday matinee 23rd

Dean
Joe and Emily also starring Joseph West :D

I have been coming to this musical for 5 years and I have never before heard the audience break into applause for the small boy at the boxing scene. Joe has his little routine of press ups before 'Jesus' and the audience just loved him. Such confidence and no wonder he was the star after the show at Stage Door.
As for the show I shall be brief as I am going to 'Onassis' tonight.
Dean was on top form throughout and put in a real audience pleasing performance in all aspects particularly his dancing and singing which were of the highest calibre. Joe Massey was at his impish best and Emily was brilliant in her seductively beguiling approach towards Billy. A large contingent in from Newcastle were mercilessly ribbed by George but I heard some very complementary remarks from them about the accuracy of the dialogue and speech particularly from Dean and Joe M.
Overall a first rate show and the end of my particular Billython. So good to leave on a high note thanks to an ever impressive Dean and a fantastic Joseph West in particular.

Return to “Reviews Archive”