October 2010-Reviews-London

AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Re: October 2010-Reviews-London

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Saturday 9th October Evening

Rhys/Reece/Francesca

Another great show. I gave up many many reviews ago trying to say how good ALL the kids are, my old thesaurus just wore out. An odd duff show once in a while wouldn’t go amiss to help spice up the reviews, but unfortunately the standard from everyone was once again at the top of their game showing off their all round abilities. Rhys has been busy this past three days but was full of energy and enthusiasm and was very bubbly and now seems the most smiley Billy. Great chemistry with Reece and I do admire Reece for actually wearing a dress and not that other “garment” the other Michael’s wear. I still feel he rushes the nutcracker line but I seemed to be in a minority of one as the audience still found it hysterical. I also felt uneasy with the Debbie/Billy cubicle scene as Rhys always seems to be concentrating more on dressing than delivering the lines while the scene has altered and been so watered down recently it hardly makes any sense anyway in its current format.

I would like to reluctantly confirm that Pat is right about the new glass in the orchestra pit. The drummer is no longer visible to us. I swear there is an early scene where he has but one note to play and that having played it, he duly turns over his score sheet for his next single note! I thought you just hit the drum, I didn’t know you had notes! Oh well, gone are the days when I try and read the drummers newspaper during the boring bits. I can’t even pick my nose now when I know he’s not looking.

My 10 year old son Nathan sang along to Electricity and was word perfect – a relief really since he will perform Electricity to his dance class in December. Ballet or Street I hear you ask. Well, probably neither since Peter Darling has yet to devise a version for people with two left feet and that doesn’t involve gymnastics, somersaults and ballet!! etc (and if his feet get any bigger I shall have to buy him clown shoes). His dance teacher is ballet and works at Wicked – aarrgghh!! while his singing teacher Dawn Sievewright keeps disappearing to rehearse Legally Blonde. Dawn by chance admired Dean Charles this week and was no doubt checking out the opposition. Nathan lamented the departure of the wall flip board and wondered if it was consigned to a skip, but I suspect it will be back before long. I don’t think he realises the amount of work that goes into just one dance let alone the whole show and I believe by learning this dance he will come to respect the dedication and sacrifices all the children give to the show and to us the fans. I can now also come to admire the parents of all the kids. With my son performing this one dance, on one occasion, in front of a mere 100 odd people I already have butterflies. I can’t imagine what the parents go through seeing their progeny perform each day – I think I get more nervous than my Thomas HAAAA!!

In 1974 I watched an episode of Morecambe and Wise being filmed for BBC TV and just prior to the recording began Ernie emerged from the curtains and requested that we didn’t clap the jazz group when they finished (was it Benny Goodman?) – I have never found it on You Tube. The recording duly finished, Benny turned around to stony silence. I can’t remember what his face looked like but I bet it was a picture. I wondered if someone had said something similar last night about the finale to the audience since there was certainly silence at times in the finale despite a simply fantastic show from everyone. It just don’t figure. Probably an audience of older locals instead of younger tourists. Still my Billy virgin guests thoroughly enjoyed the show and we have some more converts. Even their 13 year old said the show was “quite good” – praise indeed from him –trust me.

Alex
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

HURRAH! The Angry Dance is back in full swing!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 14th October

Dean-Charles, Joe, Emily
Tony: Tim
Grandma: Romy

The word jedward is normally associated with talentless dross (and I say that as a fully paid up member of Irish Citizenship) but the jedward at yesterday's matinee was the complete opposite in every way.
Joe Emily Dean Were Absolutely Rollicking Dynamite.

This was one of those extra special shows that you know from the start is going to lift everyone out of the gloom of recession and the audience hit the ceiling in response. I have seen great acting performances from Dean before but nothing he has done before surpassed this one. Every letter, word, sentence was delivered with the most incredible skill and passion. It was as if he had taken every line of the script and crafted something new and special from each one. With whirlwind power by 5.30pm every emotion I possess was torn, tattered and ripped with the Finale an indispensable medicine to try to restore normality. This was a performance extraordinaire and one to be treasured.

The pace of the first half was such that when Angry Dance concluded I was sure it couldn't have been even 3.30pm. One scene after another went at breakneck speed that didn't give time to even pause for breath, except for an emotional Letter scene that left its mark. The watered down Angry Dance we have witnessed these past few weeks following the floor renewal must have left its mark, too, because Dean produced all the unused energy from that period in one terrific, terrifying, traumatising, huge lump of a scene in which the riot squad got hit with two powerful missiles that would have decapitated someone had it not been for the shields. Emily's magnificent sullen, stomping Debbie also had the floorboards shuddering and groaning so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the floor will have to be replaced again.
It was left to the brilliant Joe to provide the lighter touch and this he did with his usual consummate skills but raised to an even higher level by the day that was in it.
After a barren settling-back-in-school few weeks the youngsters were back among the audience with a vengeance and they made sure that the cast got the applause they deserved and they really let loose after Dean and Barnaby had delivered an exquisite Dream Ballet but exceeded even that following Dean's stunning, stupendous ballet Electricity that would have got even Onslow off his couch.

With the atmosphere in the theatre so electric all of the cast seemed to raise their game that little notch extra and it was so exciting and rewarding to see everyone leaving the theatre gushing with enthusiasm and with smiles all round. I heard that Arnie is in London this week. I expect that, like the Terminator, most, if not all of them will "be back".

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

MATINEE THURSDAY 14th OCTOBER
Hi
Yes Pat, as we both met up leaving the theatre for a natter we were
speechless, its difficult to follow that review but here is my litttle bit.
I No! we keep repeating ourselves but I dont give a **** NO! a monkey's. I think Thursdays matinee will take some beating everyone was on top form including a real appreciating audience.
All the Billie's always give their best but Dean was on fire, his acting, expressions and dancing was just superb!, what an "Angry Dance", he was great a fortnight ago but this was breath taking "Well Done" young man, it makes my 450 mile round trip so worth while. The only problem is now the rest of my family are aching to come down again, that will hit the pocket.
Emily was again on top form stomping around, the 3 Joe's, the litttle one looks a real character, Joe Massey as cheeky as ever, he looks a real tyke and the not so old Joe(might get a punch for that) gave another strong performance. It's the first time I've seen Tim as Tony, he's not as aggressive as Craig but I like his style. Thanks to the rest of the cast also, for a great show.
Believe it or not on the train journey home, two ladies sat at my table, had also been at the show, they said it was great and would go again when back in London, but did say they had difficulty in getting tickets previously in the Doncaster area.

Barry
P.S Barry's corny joke of the week--- Visited my nan the other day and saw a Persil box on top of the telly. So I said nan, what the hell are you doing with that? Turns out she had no Ariel!
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks Barry and Pat for those fine reviews of the matinee. What an atmosphere. I did not know a party of school girls could make so much noise. It was football match levels.
I was afraid therefore that the evening show would be somewhat of an anticlimax but it wasn't thanks to fine performances by Rhys and Connor and Fleur. Very different from the afternoon but equally skilled and well presented. Rhys is a very smiley Billy who maybe does not have the Dean angst but does act with warmth and empathy as well as dancing with purity and style. The audience you could tell was up for it from the applause Paddy had when he climbed on stage. There was also good interaction between Connor and Rhys. Connor does not have the impishness of Joe but he does convey a convincing picture of Michael the flirtatious extrovert. I thought also that Fleur was excellent. She has a tremendous work rate throughout.
Rhys has been doing 3 shows a week in the absence of Aaron and he is to be commended for the freshness he brings to each show. He really lives the Billy journey in his own unique way which is different yet equally pleasing.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Friday 15th. Dean with Joe and Emily.

Others have commented on the rich vein of performances from Dean of late and last night's show easily fell into that description. I have sat through some very turgid Friday nights with dire audiences but last night was very different. The audience applauded Paddy onto the stage, saluted Grandma (an excellent Romy) well before she had concluded her song, applauded the aerial sequence as soon as it started and applauded the disappearing miners at the end of 'once we were kings'. Yes it was one of those nights and there was a feeling of goodwill towards Billy which Dean capitalised on by some excellent acting ably assisted by our impish Joe and a determined Emily. Dean's acting is now his strong point and it showed by the way he developed BTB and Angry Dance in particular. A very well presented Letter had the audience rooting for Billy all the way till the end.Electricity was danced with great energy climaxing into fast accurate pirouettes. Well done Dean for a very inspiring show overall. It was a pleasure to come to the theatre tonight, a sentiment I feel felt by most of the departing audience who had witnessed another first rate performance by the cast and Dean in particular.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Friday, October 15th

Yesterday I was accompanied by my best friend, her husband and her two children for the show. I was really excited to see, how they would like it. At least she had seen the show before (actually Fox' last night) and she thought her whole family should see this musical.

It was the same cast as on Thursday matinee (Dean, Joe, Emily) and they were fantastic again! The audience was also were appreciative (no complaints this time) with a lot of intermediate applause.

I found the whole performance very emotional. Dean absolutely lives up to his name as senior Billy! His acting was so brlliant. His dancing phenomenal and his singing great. He actually cried during "The Letter" and so did I and certainly half of the audience. I haven't seen that since Tom left. The second half was even more emotional, starting with the folk song and then an absolutely stunning performance of "Dream Ballet". Wonderful. "The Letter Reprise" left everyone in tears again.

Joe was great, too! At "Express Yourself", when Billy shouts out, he first turned around to see, what could have brought up Billy's attention. Joe was wonderfully suprised, that it was him in women's clothing. Excellent winter scene! Joe waited really long after his confession, before he turned around. Very effective! And when Billy left him at the end, he had tears in his eyes. Best performance I have seen of Joe so far!

My accompaniment was also very impressed and I will have to go again today!

Cheers - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Saturday 16th October, Matinee

Today I had the chance to see my personal favourite as Billy again: Aaron. I just love his mature way to play the role of Billy. It seems very realistic to me. The role of Michael was played by Reece. While he is very small, he nevertheless plays also a mature version of his character.

The show again lived up to the high standards they have set. Very different than yesterday, because the interpretation of the characters is different, but nonetheless fantastic! “The Letter” was again very emotional. But it was followed by the best B2B (current version) that I have seen so far. It was also accompanied by intermediate applause. Angry Dance was very angry again! And “Electricity” was simply stunning! Great acting, great dancing: Aaron, I hope, I can see you again, soon!

It was my second time, I have seen Reece. And again, I loved his performance! Excellent acting and superb dancing. Very good interaction with Aaron during “Express Yourself”, even better during the winter scene. He pulled Aaron from the chair and touched his nose lightly to convince him to dance again. And later on, when Billy is asked about the audition by the girl, Reece wiggled his hips as a comment…

The rest of the cast was very good as well, as always I must say!

Very attentive audience as well.

Cheers - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the great reivews. They are greatly appreciated by those of us who cannot get to the show on a regular basis.

Keep 'em coming!
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday 16th October evening: Scott, Joe, Emily.

Joseph West the new small boy is certainly a character. Tonight he dropped his lolly before climbing on stage so cue for much searching with Chris Hatt the MD before it was recovered and despite carpet fluff was popped straight into his mouth. After all the show must go on and what a sensational show it was. Scott never seems to fail to come up with the goods and Saturday night was no exception!
Before the show I was talking to one of the choreographers who commented on Scott's tapping and so I paid special attention to this aspect of his performance. Firstly in 'Expressing' you had perfect tapping in time with Joe (himself a no mean tap dancer), in BTB again superb tapping and such aggressive and faultless speed skip/tapping that the audience burst into spontaneous applause. I do not recall that happening for the skipping routine before. It was however in the Angry Dance that Scott really excelled and what an Angry Dance it was. Again plenty of angst punctuated regularly by cries of anguish and again vibratto loud tapping of the highest order. To show what a complete all rounder we were witnessing the previous ballet moves in other scenes had been fluid and with barely a ripple of movement in the position hold before 'please miss can we have a go'.
Act 2 got off to a great start with Scott and his bucket of tickets. No one does withering disdain like Scott and George was compelled to say when Billy emerged from the curtain 'Here he is Billy idiot and just look at his face'. :lol:
Scott's dancing in Act 2 provided the perfect balletic contrast to the tap dancing I have described. Subtle, charming, intuitive, and faultless pirouettes to die for in Electricity. With a perfect delivery of the 'esquire' joke Scott had the audience really with him. His parting scene from Mrs Wilkinson was an example in timing to maximise impact especially in the seconds pause before wishing Mrs Wilkinson well for example.
One must always remember that this is not a one person show and Scott was able to play off very good performances from both Joe and Emily with the former up to all his impish tricks which had the very receptive audience rolling with laughter. Special mention must go to Romy who has been Gran for the last three shows and acts with great panache and sensitivity so much so that the interactions between her and Scott were very intense and palpably moving.
Although he is perfectly capable of them (as we saw in Electricity), Scott does not do cartwheels leading up to his his final bow choosing to do a series of beautiful ballet moves to the curtain instead. Somehow this seems so totally appropriate for this multi-talented Billy destined hopefully for a career in ballet.
I believe that this was Scott's third show this week. If he was tired he did not show it as he served up a real treat for us once again and on a Saturday night it certainly made the weekend seem really worth living for and for that alone much thanks. I for one (like the rest of the audience I suspect) went hope feeling really inspired by what we had witnessed.

Return to “Reviews Archive”