December 2010 - Reviews - London

Westletonion
Miner

Re: December 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

A wonderful attention to detail Deanfan5 and for your balanced appraisal. I look forward to seeing the 'new show' for a second time tomorrow. Small wonder the attendances are down with the continuing travel problems affecting so many people.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Westletonion wrote:A wonderful attention to detail Deanfan5 and for your balanced appraisal. I look forward to seeing the 'new show' for a second time tomorrow. Small wonder the attendances are down with the continuing travel problems affecting so many people.
Well what is the snow like out your way?
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Some sleet today on frozen surfaces but the forecast is for the weather to 'warm up'. Now back to December reviews.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Westletonion wrote:A wonderful attention to detail Deanfan5 and for your balanced appraisal. I look forward to seeing the 'new show' for a second time tomorrow. Small wonder the attendances are down with the continuing travel problems affecting so many people.
Thanks. Appreciate that comment. Have added a few more that occured to me since I did the review yesterday. Really looking forward to reading the comments from the Thursday regulars. (not me though as I hope to get to see Liam performing at the Ballet Rambert School tonight (student protesters permitting-already London is chaotic with police everywhere- so you should all feel at home at BETM :lol: !) Sorry you are still snowed in Bob. Hope you make it next week.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Thursday 9th December Matinee

Rhys/Reece/Fran

A decision to go to the show at very short notice. Almost didn't make it with the riots just up the road and Victoria Station shut through other emergencies. Waded through thousands of students and was kettled at P Square for a while. But it was well worth it because the show was absolutely brilliant. I love all of the new lines and extra details. There is just too many changes to mention but overall the show looks and feels fresher, alot more energy. The Boxing scene in particular is even more fun. The small boy (sorry don't know his name but blonde lad) was fantastic - he got well deserved applaus for his "Jesus" lines and when he collapsed it was outstanding comic timing. I last saw the new adult cast on their first night where nerves played a part but they all seemed to have settled down nicely and I do think the show is benefitting greatly from the new dad and Tony. A few ironic cheers when the line of police appeared for Solidarity and later I could hardly hear the Angry Dance for all the riot vans dashing past outside.
Can't not mention the kids all of whom where at the top of their game. Every time I see the show there are altered scenes and lines and it is a credit to the kids that they remember the new routines so well.

Alex
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, Den, for your very informative review of last evening's show. (And Alex's that came in while I was typing this :D )

Thursday Matinee 9th December

Rhys, Reece, Francesca

Grandma: Romy

The usual pre-show excitement was added to by the anticipation of seeing the new cast for the first time and the changes as previously reported. Would today's show be the usual emotional rollercoaster it is for me? Would I be grabbed by the throat from the start and end up the usual emotional wreck? Or would I be just a casual observer sitting there looking out for and noting what's changed. I am very pleased to report that it was very much the former.

OK, it was a bit of a shock in The Stars Look Down to see so many new faces. Have I really seen this show before? But a quick glance around proved that there were some very familiar faces still there - more than I assumed there would be and, looking at the program insert, there were one or two not there yesterday including Shaun Henson.

Apart from the obvious previously reported there are a considerable number of changes, many just small. Lines have been altered, different emphasis placed on others, people go in and out of different doors, stand or sit in different parts of the stage, etc. The music has also had a bit of a makeover with some nice touches included. I won't make a list but one example stood out yesterday. The music as the final curtain falls on Michael sounded much softer and seemed to be slightly differently arranged. This had one major and important effect. Previously, the loud swelling music signalling the end of the show has "encouraged" the audience to start the applause much too early and somewhat "spoil" those final few moments depicting Michael's anguish. At yesterday's show, at least, the audience waited until the curtain was about to hit the floor before erupting into rapturous applause. Maybe it was a one-off, we'll have to wait and see.

My goodness, me. That's three paragraphs and I haven't mentioned Billy. That's definitely a first.
Well, I'm here to tell you that Rhys gave a truly memorable Billy performance. Everything that deanfan5 said in his review of Rhys' Tuesday show applies. It doesn't matter who else is playing what roles. The Billys just keep turning it on.
BTW, it took me a while to realise that Debbie was not being played by Francesca's equally talented twin sister. OK, OK it was the different hairstyle.

It would take an eternity to go into the detail of how the new cast individually performed each role and I'm not going to even try. It is impossible not to miss all those who have entertained us so well over the past years but we have to move on. What I can say for certain is that, although the newcomers have barely started and will be further developing their roles as the weeks go by, the show is as BRILLIANT, ENTERTAINING and EMOTIONAL as ever with all the ingredients (albeit with different flavours and fragrances) there to deliver a delicious cake by 5.30pm or 10.30pm whatever your fancy is.

Pat
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

patc wrote: I won't make a list but one example stood out yesterday. The music as the final curtain falls on Michael sounded much softer and seemed to be slightly differently arranged. This had one major and important effect. Previously, the loud swelling music signalling the end of the show has "encouraged" the audience to start the applause much too early and somewhat "spoil" those final few moments depicting Michael's anguish. At yesterday's show, at least, the audience waited until the curtain was about to hit the floor before erupting into rapturous applause. Maybe it was a one-off, we'll have to wait and see.Pat
Having been to 6 shows since the cast change I did notice that the audience waited much longer to start the applause than the previous times I'd seen the show. Even though I couldn't actually understand what the change had been (OK I'm not the best in "catching" the details obviously) I appreciated that very much.
So, Patc this was not a one-off thing, thankfully.
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Like others have said I like the changes as it keeps the show fresh and 'young'. Yesterday there was a noticeable difference in how well the new cast had settled in since their first night on 29th November. It was also really good to be able to thank Martin Marquez (Dad) and Tom Lorcan (Tony) afterwards for their excellent performances and for the freshness that they bring to the show. We came across them purely by coincidence elsewhere after the show. My only reservation about the changes is that Billy and Michael tend to be overshadowed somewhat in 'Expressing Yourself' and end up in a far less prominent position towards the back of the stage. Considering the climate, etc, the theatre had a pretty good attendance with at least one very large school party.

In particular a great 'well done' to our young stars Rhys, Reece and Francesca who sparkled throughout in their customary manner.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks to everybody for their comments on the new cast as well as the established cast members.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
myrte
Small Boy

Post by myrte »

I hope there are not to much chanches in the show. I saw it last year and i found it fantastic! So i don't want it to chance so much. But i only see it one time. Maybe i don't notice much of the difference. I'm realy looking forword at my second time Billy Elliot. 30 December is my second visit of BE the musical! :)

Return to “Reviews Archive”