December 2010 - Reviews - London

Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: December 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Deanfan5 »

Funny you should comment PatC as you did about Francesca. I had the same sensation of ' I've seen her somewhere before' about Emily on Tuesday. Of course it was that hairstyle :lol:
Thanks for all the reviews of the Thursday regulars. Very informative. I am looking forward to seing the new cast and show again next week and to pick up on all those little changes I missed on Tuesday.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

13th December 2010.

Aaron
Connor Lawson
Francesca
Full cast with Romy as Gran

Last night saw the debut of Connor Lawson- present Michael no 4( or Connor No.3 :lol: ). When Connor rode on my initial reaction was that Jake had made a comeback. With the specs (props) and duffle, Connor is the spitting image of Jake but there the comparison ends. It is quite clear why Connor was cherry picked from the 'Billy Elliot youth theatre shows'. He is a very talented and confident performer and seems born to the stage with no first night nerves that were obvious to me. He brings a very unique touch to the role of Michael with abundant energy, fine acting technique, and first class dancing. Some nice 'camp' touches as he hams up Expressing in a green polko dot dress clearly made from the same material as the first of the dancing dresses. It was nice also to hear 'your Dad is pissed' rather than 'bladdered'. Connor is a Michael to be savoured whilst he is with the show. A very assured debut which must have given Nick Evans (the watching Director) as much pleasure as the bouquets of flowers at stgae door gave pleasure to Connor and his family who were present in the audience.
Aaron gave a very sound complimentary performance as Billy with a first class Electricity and perfect skipping in BTB which had the audience applauding. I was disappointed to note that Aaron seems to have given up on his unique take to the Debbie offer which was one of a knowing nod followed by 'no'.
My second viewing of the changes in the show brought my attention to aspects I had missed in last weeks's review which I like.
-No more messy baked beans- instead a very burnt offering in the sandwhich which looks revolting accompanied by the words 'waste not want not' from Big Davy.
-Billy finds Gran is 'driving him nuts' with accompanying head signal.
-The music in Expressing which has been fine tuned further.
-Dad giving a very boozy rendition of Dad's song.
-Mrs W holding playing cards at the house door which links to the game she may have playing with Debbie.
-Dad asking Billy why he is 'going out with that bag' (not Mrs W :lol: ).
New Dad and Tony continue to impress as does George who is now well settled in the role. Mr W also comes across very well as a particularly unpleasant man in his brief scenario.
Small boy -the irrepessable Joseph West continues to shine but I remain disappointed that the role of Tall Boy ( last night the very talented Isaac Gryn) seems to have been downplayed in Act 1.

A well attended house who laughed in all the right places and overall another very enjoyable show made more so by such an impressive first performace by Connor Lawson.
-
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the review Deanfan5.

Sounds like we have another hit in Connor L.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks for the great review, deanfan5. Hope to get to see Connor L in action this week.
Billy finds Gran is 'driving him nuts' with accompanying head signal.
Dad asking Billy why he is 'going out with that bag'.
Interesting. I don't remember those from last week. Perhaps there are still ongoing changes/tweaks.
I remain disappointed that the role of Tall Boy ( last night the very talented Isaac Gryn) seems to have been downplayed in Act 1.
I can only think of the "bussing the scabs in early" line no longer spoken by TB. Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Pat
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Great show tonight with Dean, Connor Kelly and Emily Wilson at the helm. A new MD took the baton tonight - Mark Collins did a superb job with a band that pulled out all the stops this evening. Well done Mark!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
myrte
Small Boy

Post by myrte »

What's up with the new Grandma?
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

myrte wrote:What's up with the new Grandma?
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Billy Whiz wrote:
myrte wrote:What's up with the new Grandma?
I don't understand what you mean by this.
I think what Myrte is asking is if she's back. The new Grandma appeared in the first 2 shows with the new cast (29th and 30th Nov) and after that she has not been on any show as she was apparently injured on the 30th. Nothing obvious, though, as I was there that evening. Is she back??

Not sure this is the correct thread for this discussion, though ;)
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

No she is not back. Romy has undertaken the role of Grandma since 1st Dec.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for clarifying that.

Return to “Reviews Archive”